$2 NL HE 6-max: Would have gotten bluffed out by suspicious raises.

A

ArcaneHuman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Hello all,

I tried converting my hand using the hand converter but i don't think it's compatible with global poker? So i wrote this out:

I am currently practicing with play money online. I know people don't play the total same with play money, but nonetheless I faced a hand where if i were playing actual cash i may have likely folded against villain's aggressive betting and i'm trying to learn from this hand how to not get bluffed out in a similar situation as this.

Blinds are 25-50goldcoin.
Hero opens on the button with 1 limper in a 4 handed game with 200goldcoin with 8 of clubs and 10 of clubs.
Limper folds and villain calls on the BB.

Flop comes: A 10 8 rainbow.
Villain donk bets 200
Hero raises to 425 for the sake of matching the pot size and asserting himself as the aggressor
Villains raises to 1,150 with 3,450 left in his stack
Hero calls (My issue is that i may have folded here if i was playing low stakes with real cash. At this point i resolved to just try to keep the following streets as cheap as possible and pay for the information so i can learn from this, so i probably would have folded here, albeit reluctantly. I suspected villain may have hit a set or was holding AT).

Turn comes: 3 of hearts

Villian goes all in 3,450.
Hero calls and takes the pot down when the river card fails to save villain.
Villain is holding A9

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Bottom two pair is just a bluff catcher v a flop 3bet , but it is a great bluff catcher as you block 88 and TT plus various other 2 pair combos. So fine to call and call turn too

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Bottom two pair is just a bluff catcher v a flop 3bet , but it is a great bluff catcher as you block 88 and TT plus various other 2 pair combos. So fine to call and call turn too
Against competent players. I agree. But I don't think this particular opponent thought he was bluffing with his pair of aces.

At this level (not real money games) many would go all-in with top pair either because they are bad or are afraid to be outdrawn. That makes two pair (even the worst ones) a lot stronger than in a "normal" game. So it can become a value betting hand if the opponents are bad enough.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Against competent players. I agree. But I don't think this particular opponent thought he was bluffing with his pair of aces.

At this level (not real money games) many would go all-in with top pair either because they are bad or are afraid to be outdrawn. That makes two pair (even the worst ones) a lot stronger than in a "normal" game. So it can become a value betting hand if the opponents are bad enough.
Agreed, I use the term bluff loosely to include the random overplays bad players make