$2 NL HE 6-max: new player with QQ here on the BTN ( lost to a straight, all in against villian ) please help with my mistakes

B

beazer76

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
KH
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
I am a new player and would like some feedback with this hand / help with my mistakes.

I'm HERO on the button with pocket Queens.
This was my second time i played a big pot ( went all in ) with pocket Queens and lost the full buy in both hands ( ive only posted the first hand).

I saw villian raise on the turn and i thought i will be ok here with pocket queen.
I didn't pay too much attention to the board texture and i suppose even when he raised the turn for $1.64
I completely missed the idea that he has me beat. I thought I have a big value bet here and i was thinking about increasing the size of the pot.
I was thinking im not beat here with my QQ?

Holdem(No Limit) - $0.01/$0.02

Seat 1: HERO in Button ($2.05)
Seat 2: SaltedRaccoon ($2.10)
Seat 3: VILLIAN in big blind ($2.16)
Seat 4: kota1953 ($0.86)
Seat 5: Oliferuk ($1.95)
Seat 6: asapman ($2.19)
SaltedRaccoon posts the small blind $0.01
Villian in big blind posts the big blind $0.02

Dealt to hero QQ

hero raises $0.04

Villian raises $0.18

hero calls $0.16

FLOP

[9h Jc 8c]

Villian in big blind bets $0.16

beazer raises $0.32

Villian in big blind calls $0.16

TURN
[9h Jc 8c] [7h]

Villian in big blind checks

beazer bets $1.05

Villian in Big Blind position raises $1.64 and is all-in

beazer76 calls $0.48 and is all-in

RIVER

[9h Jc 8c 7h] [3s]

SHOW DOWN
Main pot $3.91

HERO shows [Qd Qs] (a pair of Queens [Qs Qd Jc 9h 8c])

VILLIAN shows [As Td] (a straight, Jack high [Jc Td 9h 8c 7h])

VILLIAN collected $3.91 from main pot

SUMMARY
Hero loses the pot with my pair of Queens [Qs Qd Jc 9h 8c]
(big blind) showed [As Td] and won $3.91 with a straight, Jack high [Jc Td 9h 8c 7h]

Attachments

• heroBTNwithQQvsbigblindvillian.png
    heroBTNwithQQvsbigblindvillian.png
    650.5 KB · Views: 19
B

beazer76

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
KH
Chips
update here and will post for the benefit of new players

for going " all in " on the flop , turn , river

I'm going to to be needing hands more like 2 pair, trips , set , straight or flush

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm going to to be needing hands more like 2 pair, trips , set , straight or flush
Pair and high card made hands constitute to around 95% of all made hands on river, come on.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Preflop:

I'd definitely have 4-bet QQ, especially since you're in position.

Flop:
Not ideal since we have flush draws and already straight possibility with QT and T6. T6 is probably not in his range but QTs could be, if he plays a wide range.
Your raise is for pure value since and this min-raise will definitely not make him fold.

You could either go for a jam to avoid being drawn out or just call due to the open draws. Jam would have been ideal if you 4-bet PF and pot would be much bigger.

Turn:
I didn't pay too much attention to the board texture
This is never a good idea and definitely a mistake.

We have heart and chubs flushdraws now and
Every T gives a straight.

So we have to assume we're behind, so we might need to fold here.

It all depends on the board and potential ranges of your opponents. TPTK might be the winning hand in many times.

But usually noneed to go all-in and risk all of your stack except if the pot size requires you to.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi
On turn you have what we call a weat board (dangerous for you hand) as he only need 1 card to beat you (a 10) then yoiu have to be very carefull and think twice about what you do, and what you will do if he check raise you.
So a kind of a feeler bet or a check (and see what villan will do, might be fine). you always have to be carefull on weat boards (many suited cards, and when there is pairs or more on the board).

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat and to the game of poker

Pre flop: What do we know about villain here? Do they 3 bet often, are they putting money in the pot a lot pre flop (vpip)? The more hands or 3 bets this player makes then we can assign them more (looser) starting hands and then our QQ goes up in value. My fear here is that when we get 3 bet and we 4 bet then we will fold out the hands we dont want to fold out like JJ, 1010, AJ, etc but keep in or get 5 bet the hands we are crushed against. Saves us money though to 4 bet and fold if we are up against KK or AA vs trying to figure that out post flop or potentially getting bluffed when an ace or King flops. So I can actually see both ways here of flat calling to keep some worse 3 bet hands in (like A10) vs 4 betting but we get a lot more information that can save us many BBs when we do 4 bet. I will say this, when you raise pre flop make your raises 3x and not min raises in cash games. Much better for you in the long run and will get you much more value if your opening range is proper.

Flop: Even though we have a gutter and an overpair this flop is actually pretty bad for us. JJ is now beating us and 1010 has the open ender so those hands that we wanted to keep in pre flop by calling are now ahead of us or have some decent equity. You dont mention it in the write up but is one of our Q's the Q of clubs? That makes a pretty big difference in the hand at this point as it gives us a flush draw blocker and also backdoor possibility. I think with this flop I would just call the opponents bet here and evaluate turn. Im losing to more hands here than I was pre flop and still losing to AA or KK. I have AK beat for now and dont need to blow that hand out of the water (although there is equity denial doing it but its just one hand in the villains range). One tip here is that if you are going to raise it needs to be bigger than just min raising on the flop. I wouldnt raise as I said but if you are going to make it at least 3x (a tip for future hands).

Turn: As played Im actually checking this back which I know is a passive play but all 10x is there, JJ, KK, and AA has us already. AK we have in better shape now and AQ is unlikely due to us having QQ. AJ is a possibility but we have that beat as well so I would check here as a defensive play and my thinking would be to bluff catch on the river. As played the bet sizing you make it (looks like pot size) is a bad decision here. All the hands that we have beat are probably not going to call this sizing on this board. The hands that crush us arent folding although you can make some overpairs weary but they aint folding I dont think. So its really a play where you are value owning yourself. If you are going to bet there it should be smaller since if you did have a monster there you would not want villain to fold. Your bet makes it look like you are trying to blow them off a hand. You are essentially turning QQ into a bluff with your bet sizing. Once you get raised all in you are stuck and I guess have to call hoping for some badly played AJ hand but it isnt likely.

From what I garnered from your post, you need to make sure you keep in mind your villains range and what hands they would have that would play this way. You also need to constantly assess the value of your hand based on what the board is right now and also what actions have taken place on past streets that will foreshadow future street betting. Dont get down on yourself if you have, its a long process and poker takes a lot of hands and committing a lot of mistakes to get better. Please keep posting your hands in this forum and we will all give our opinions to try to help out and make the learning process easier and more fun. Best of luck to you in future hands