$2 NL HE 6-max: Just variance or bad decision from me?

L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
PFR
Currency
$
My nit friend called from SB, my 3bb sized bet from BUT.
So, his perceived range was very strong , {AJ+}.
But not AA or KK because he didnt 3-bet.
On flop he donkey bets me for 50% pot,
My thinking was ok, you have AJ, and hit the J on flop and Ace on turn.
where he shoved it in.
I disregarded JJ because nits are so happy to get some action he would have shoved it all-in on flop.

Was my thinking correct or completely off?

Last edited:
monkeytilter

monkeytilter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just a cooler, you block the straight and the flush doesn't get there so think you have to call it down particularly with him playing a short stack - if you see your nit only plays nut/effective nut hands like this then you can start making extremely tight exploitative folds in the future vs him.

You played the hand well by not raising and giving him the potential to be bluffing his stack off.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The question is if a nit would play like this with QK. Maybe this is likely, but your Q removes 25% of this chance. He should also do it with the strongest part of his range, for instance with the QKhh combo, since the overbet of turn isolates him with the strongest part of your range, like: TX, including AT and JT which are hands you are blocking. That is, V doesn't need to polarize his range on the turn for dominated hands to fold a reasonable percentage of the time.
If this V were a nit, he would probably choose a smaller bet size on the turn with AJ, as he could preserve fold equity, if he gets defensive raises with better hands that will beat him.
Your call on the turn against this particular villain is probably a small mistake, if you perceive him to be a very closed range player.
Greetings.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a huge cooler but at least it wasnt 100 BBs effective. I would call on the flop just as you did to let the villain potentially hang themselves plus they are short enough that we dont have any problem getting it all in by the end of the hand which is what we should be looking to do here. Not folding trip 10s there although I would say with that turn card starting to connect the board I would not have just called turn if villain would have bet small again. The turn (if the hand was played differently) is where I would have got aggressive since the board is getting wet but we didnt have to worry about that. We should be fist pumping there when we get jammed on with that effective stack size, just unfortunate.

L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
This is a huge cooler but at least it wasnt 100 BBs effective. I would call on the flop just as you did to let the villain potentially hang themselves plus they are short enough that we dont have any problem getting it all in by the end of the hand which is what we should be looking to do here. Not folding trip 10s there although I would say with that turn card starting to connect the board I would not have just called turn if villain would have bet small again. The turn (if the hand was played differently) is where I would have got aggressive since the board is getting wet but we didnt have to worry about that. We should be fist pumping there when we get jammed on with that effective stack size, just unfortunate.
i agree with you,
I would have def. bet large for protection, if any flush draw came up. I was way too sure of his AJ.
I appreciate your input a lot.
Thank you.

L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
This is just a cooler, you block the straight and the flush doesn't get there so think you have to call it down particularly with him playing a short stack - if you see your nit only plays nut/effective nut hands like this then you can start making extremely tight exploitative folds in the future vs him.

You played the hand well by not raising and giving him the potential to be bluffing his stack off.
Hello,
I get where you are coming from. I mean he could have had JJ and just slow play or whatever.
You can never be 100% sure.
And a high variance situations like this happen the more you play.,
so,it's bound to happen.
I guess the goal is, to make up for it, with skill, correct range and positional awareness.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
Obviously you are not folding trips, when he donk into you, so the only question is raise or fold. I think, raising it up would be fine, but I dont mind calling either. He only started with half a stack, so you can still get the money in later, if you want to, and just calling allow him to continue hanging himself on the turn.

Turn
KQ made a straight, which is not ideal, and neither is the fact, he just shipped it for almost 3X the pot. But I think, this hand is to high in your range to fold, so I agree with those, who say, this is just a cooler.

HUD-stats and opponent type
Just a few comments about your HUD stats and calling the opponent a "nit". Sure VPIP 8 / PFR 8 are very nitty stats, but what samle size did this occur over? If it was 15 hands, its entirely possible, the guy has just been card dead. Also true nits are usually rather serious players, and they tend to multitable a lot. This guy only started with half a stack, and screen name "pigkiller2690" sounds very much like someone playing for fun. So I dont really see all the information adding up to this guy being a true nit.

In top of that a good player would usually not donk, when they flop trips, and they would certainly not overbet jam the turn with a full house. Sure he can get max value, when you have the case T, especially with a decent kicker, or when you turned a straight. But he could have gotten that value on the river anyway, and there was nothing for him to protect against. In fact when we have a boat in poker, we WANT our opponent to draw to a straight or flush, and the way to achieve that is by giving them a reasonable price. So this guy is likely not nearly a good, as you give him credit for by calling him a "nit".