Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Sorry for posting in this format. GG Poker doesn't support other export options.

I have a lot of Problems with overpairs like in this situation. Does this count as badluck and is a normal situation or should I play something different.

This was fast fold hand so I don't have further informations about my opponent.

Anonymous 2024 03 24 01 16 PM 001 002 RC5A9CK5PUC

This is the videolink to the hand: https://gg.gl/kmp48

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything looks fine here. The only real discussion point is, if you should bet the river for value, after turn gets checked through, or go for a check-call, as you did. And I kind of lean towards check-call, since it allow him the chance to bluff, and there are not to many worse hands in his range, that can call a value bet. He should have a lot of AK/AQ type hands here, and those are probably not going to call, if you bet. But they might go for a last minute bluff, if you check.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with fundiver. Main decision point is river, and I think bet for value or check call are both fine. I quite like a small block bet (5 - 10bb) as I think AK will have a tough time folding to such a small size (they might even do something silly like raise, note it's a call if you bet tiny and get raised, unless the sizing is huge). Also a passive opponent like this might only call with QQ saving you a little in this type of scenario.

It's a bit of a cooler but you were lucky your opponent bet the flop small and checked turn. You could have lost more.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing I would add here as I highly agree with fundiver is that I am very much in favor of a check on the river vs a bet since it was 3 bet pre. If I was to bet the river I would be targeting 8x as I would think 9x would value bet me if I checked and 4x,3x, and 2x should they exist would fold if I bet and I were ahead. I dont think there is a lot if any 8x in villains 3 bet range minus 88 and A8 suited and 88 beats us here obviously. Therefore, I really like checking here and letting all the Ax, KQ suited type hands and diamond draws potentially bluff into me.

R

ReaDen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Thanks for the answers. I got the feeling in the last weeks that I maybe missplay my overpair. But if it is just a normal downswing i don't have to change something in these types of situations.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the answers. I got the feeling in the last weeks that I maybe missplay my overpair. But if it is just a normal downswing i don't have to change something in these types of situations.
Whenever you get "pipped", meaning the opponent has the worst possible better hand than yours, you are going to lose money, and there is typically not a whole lot, you can do about it. As others have said, you actually lost the minimum in this hand, so it was a good result. Some people might have 4-bet pre or raised the flop and gone broke.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Nicely done ✅. You never over played the jacks. The 3bet pre was large so you have to put the villain’s range QQ+ . AK AQ I don’t think they would bet so much pre but I don’t know this player but the way you played the hard you were suspicious. I think the villain made a Questionable check on the turn . I think if he Double Barrels he gets your stack. Would you call a shove on the river????

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sorry for posting in this format. GG Poker doesn't support other export options.

I have a lot of Problems with overpairs like in this situation. Does this count as badluck and is a normal situation or should I play something different.

This was fast fold hand so I don't have further informations about my opponent.

View attachment 356955

This is the videolink to the hand: https://gg.gl/kmp48
This hand was played fine. We couldn't 4-bet preflop but also we couldn't fold to it. Once we call we are certain that villain has us with QQ, KK and AA and also a couple of semi-bluffs such as AK, (AQ much less because we remove it), and AJs....lesser hands that 3-bet us here are 88, 99 and TT but we are also not worried about them. A mistake would be if we decided to raise on the flop or on the river but our line is good, we check call, we realized our equity and we move on. Standard hand.