$2 NL HE 6-max: How should I play this JJ?

M

Mochi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.56 (128 bb)
MP (Hero): $2.12 (106 bb)

CO: $2.01 (101 bb)
BU: $4.93 (247 bb)
SB: $2.65 (133 bb)
BB: $2.08 (104 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with J J
UTG raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.21, 4 players fold, UTG 4-bets to $2.56 (all-in), Hero calls $1.91 (all-in)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont always have to 3-bet JJ, when its UTG (6-max), who open, and you are next to act. Solvers actually do a lot of calling with JJ preflop. As played its a fold to his jam. Although I will say, that maybe his range is a little bit capped, because he would want more action with AA and KK? Its also 2NL, where a lot of crazy stuff is going on, so I dont hate your call either.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Unless I thought the player was crazy I would fold to the 4bet at 2NL

A

AdamasDate

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
My advice to you is you better have a very good reason why your 3 betting into utg unless you know more about him calling is fine because when this postion starts to spaz out your toast ur praying for ak at this point and u aint even that far ahead so call if tons of money starts going in behind you then u can happily know your not good and let it go

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At NL2, where the rake is huge, many people defend a 3-bet or fold strategy. If you apply this simplified strategy, JJ surely would be a hand to play and, consequently, 3-bet. For higher stakes, GTO will usually recommend flatting pre-flop mostly (sometimes only) from the button (or, of course, to defend the biig-blind), with rare exceptions. Take some GTO Wizard ranges and you will notice that at HJ we never flat, we only 3-bet. But again, this is GTO. You could flat if you know what you are doing vs. some specific player to exploit them.

My experience: JJ still is a good hand to 3-bet with at NL2, and that's what I would recommend, but I am probably folding to a 4-bet from UTG. If you somehow flat the 4-bet, you would be almost always vs. QQ+ AK, because that's what the average player in NL2 4-bets with. I don't think people 4-bet TT often, even at NL2. You will almost never find someone who 4-bet light knowing what they are doing. You are a 2:1 dog vs. this range.
From a GTO perspective, this JJ fold would be a crime, but GTO considers that UTG still has a 4-bet light range with hands like AJs, A5s and 76s!

Therefore, unless you have a specific note on the opponent that he is a maniac, at NL2 you should fold to this 4-bet to avoid trouble: if they made it around $0.50 to $0.60 instead of shoving, you have a very difficult time playing post-flop vs. the average nitty range from UTG at NL2. If board comes low, you will still lose a lot to overpairs. And now that he 4-bet shoves like this, only the fold is a good option, NL2 pool will do this with QQ+ AK only, that's for sure (unless he is a maniac, but there's no way to know).

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any stats on opponent, or we're just wind tunneling this?

I don't think 3-bet/call is some massive -EV line here. This should be the least of your concerns if you're learning to play at 2NL. Calling or folding to his 4-bet are all fine, but it might lean one way or another depending on any stats or reads you have.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This should be the least of your concerns if you're learning to play at 2NL.
I agree with this statement. Shipping in 100+ BB over a standard 3-bet is not a good strategy, so we know already, that the opponent is bad. We just dont know, if which way he is bad. Maybe his thought process is:

"LOL I have the nuts, I am all-in"

Or maybe his thought proces is:

"They are 3-betting me all the time today, but I am not going to be pushed around any more, so I am going to ship it with my AJ offsuit!!!"

And depending on, which we think is more likely, we can call or fold. But the point is, something like this will happen less and less often, as we move up. And therefore its not the most important spot to study and improve. Its also an argument for getting out of 2NL as fast as possible, so we dont waste to much time and energy trying to adjust to the madness of the very lowest stakes.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.56 (128 bb)
MP (Hero): $2.12 (106 bb)

CO: $2.01 (101 bb)
BU: $4.93 (247 bb)
SB: $2.65 (133 bb)
BB: $2.08 (104 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with J J
UTG raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.21, 4 players fold, UTG 4-bets to $2.56 (all-in), Hero calls $1.91 (all-in)
Here we must 3-bet preflop almost always, except when we know that UTG is opening a wider range of hands and there are recreational players sitting in the blinds that we want to play against it.
But calling 4-bet and shove in this spot is too optimistical. Once villain 4-bets or shoves we lay down our cards and wait for another situation.
On top of that, try to make the sizing of your 3-bet preflop a bit smaller, you went for $ 0.21 when $ 0.18 would've done the work just fine either for value or for bluff.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You dont always have to 3-bet JJ, when its UTG (6-max), who open, and you are next to act. Solvers actually do a lot of calling with JJ preflop. As played its a fold to his jam. Although I will say, that maybe his range is a little bit capped, because he would want more action with AA and KK? Its also 2NL, where a lot of crazy stuff is going on, so I dont hate your call either.
Yes, we call it when there are weak players in the blinds that are more likely to complete from SB or call from the BB.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking into account the stake and the Zoom modality, I would choose to fold after V in UTG blocks my 5-bet range in preflop.

M

Manf1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I dont like this call against the utg, i think i wil go with AA,KK,QQ, AKs.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call a 100BBs shove with JJ preflop is just not good in my opinion. Villain's shove also doesn't look good. JJ is definitely a playable hand, but no need to bet that amount.