$2 NL HE 6-max: Got beats like this entire day. Would you have found the fold?

L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
BTN (BTN): 97.5 BB
Hero (SB): 99 BB
BB (BB): 159.5 BB
UTG (UTG): 100 BB
MP (MP): 111.5 BB
CO (CO): 48.5 BB [VPIP 6%, PFR 6%] however only 16hands history.

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB, UTG posts penalty blind 1 BB

Dealt to Hero:
[Ah Qc]

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, CO raises to 8 BB, fold, Hero calls 7.5 BB, fold, fold

Flop (19 BB, 2 players):
[Ad 5h Td]

Hero checks, CO bets 6 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

Turn (31 BB, 2 players):
[As]

Hero checks, CO bets 20 BB, Hero raises to 85 BB and is all-in, CO calls 14.5 BB and is all-in

River (100 BB, 2 players):
[4d]

Hero shows:

(Three of a Kind, Aces)
(Pre 25%, Flop 13%, Turn 14%)

CO shows:

(Three of a Kind, Aces)
(Pre 75%, Flop 87%, Turn 86%)

CO wins 96.5 BB

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's actually a very wide call preflop. When opener is UTG and then villain CO with 48bb invests 1/6 of his effective stack, if you call you will be at about 1/3 of the effective SPR, which leaves you with little postflop playability, especially when UTG decides to go for the isolation. Which is why your hand becomes a decent candidate for a 4-bet bluff or fold when we are MWB.
The postflop seems reasonable to me, although I would have preferred to raise on the flop and not on the turn, since now JJ or 99 would be more afraid of QQ or KK.
The river completes the third diamond, so if you had called the turn as well, you could possibly run away on the river if you completely ignore the stats, since V had to 3-bet preflop with hands like 78; 89; JQ; QK; KJ (all combinations of diamonds).
Greetings.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm guessing he had AK?
the preflop call is border line and i don't like any option tbh, but i guess calling is okay.
I probably would have check called every street as when you raise turn and get called AK makes up a huge part of his range and he may fold out JJ-KK which is also a disaster.

monkeytilter

monkeytilter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is nano stakes you did nothing massively wrong post flop and when you have a hand this big at nano you get the $$$ in, we don't start looking to slow play in fear of boats/better trips without absolutely rock solid reads that villain is a 100% nut peddler.

However!..
When a 6/6* 3 bets us we can let AQo go - this might seem incredibly nitty but his 6% range beats us and if his 3 betting range is tighter than this (and most likely is) we are getting crushed (worse still we are getting crushed AND playing OOP). (*I know you had a tiny sample, so I'm talking generally here).

The general approach in this spot is to 4 bet or fold, we don't like playing AQo OOP, if UTG had flat called too (quite likely he's a fish that's going to call - posting UTG!) we are in a nasty spot: 3 way OOP in a reraised pot.

You can only flat call if you have very specific reads on Villain (ie. he's a maniac 3 better, plays very poorly post flop etc.) TBH with villain being able to easily 5 bet shove his short stack (even with "bluffs") I just yield to the 3 bet (until I have reads), we don't need to be taking marginal spots at nano/micro.

Question: What do you see being 3 bet at these stakes? How does AQo fare against a 3 bet range at the nanos? It's been a while since I've played 6max at this level but my past experience was that there was very little 3 betting and it generally meant AK,QQ+ !!

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre-flop... that's a really bad pre-flop call.
I have no idea what you're doing on the turn.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
AQ may look attractive but with the action in front of you, it's a clear fold.

L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
I'm guessing he had AK?
the preflop call is border line and i don't like any option tbh, but i guess calling is okay.
I probably would have check called every street as when you raise turn and get called AK makes up a huge part of his range and he may fold out JJ-KK which is also a disaster.
yes he had AK.

L

LemonadeJooe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
This is nano stakes you did nothing massively wrong post flop and when you have a hand this big at nano you get the $$$ in, we don't start looking to slow play in fear of boats/better trips without absolutely rock solid reads that villain is a 100% nut peddler.

However!..
When a 6/6* 3 bets us we can let AQo go - this might seem incredibly nitty but his 6% range beats us and if his 3 betting range is tighter than this (and most likely is) we are getting crushed (worse still we are getting crushed AND playing OOP). (*I know you had a tiny sample, so I'm talking generally here).

The general approach in this spot is to 4 bet or fold, we don't like playing AQo OOP, if UTG had flat called too (quite likely he's a fish that's going to call - posting UTG!) we are in a nasty spot: 3 way OOP in a reraised pot.

You can only flat call if you have very specific reads on Villain (ie. he's a maniac 3 better, plays very poorly post flop etc.) TBH with villain being able to easily 5 bet shove his short stack (even with "bluffs") I just yield to the 3 bet (until I have reads), we don't need to be taking marginal spots at nano/micro.

Question: What do you see being 3 bet at these stakes? How does AQo fare against a 3 bet range at the nanos? It's been a while since I've played 6max at this level but my past experience was that there was very little 3 betting and it generally meant AK,QQ+ !!
Its mostly random. I have seen 3-bet calls with T5o , 84o. 4-bet and pre-flop all-in with AT.
(happens on daily basis)
But most regs. shove pre-flop with JJ+.
However, as others stated considering action and my pos. it should have been fold.

Folding in Poker