No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
Currency
$
Please do not watch to the end where villain is showing his cards.

Based on pre-flop action, what is villains range in your opinion?

I was happy with my play, but when I reviewed this hand after the session I was wondering if I should have fired another buller (bigger) on river. I was quite confident that he did not hold Jx, but honestly was putting him on A10+, so I did not want to bet again with queen on the river.

What is your opinion?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I was happy with my play, but when I reviewed this hand after the session I was wondering if I should have fired another buller (bigger) on river. I was quite confident that he did not hold Jx, but honestly was putting him on A10+, so I did not want to bet again with queen on the river.

What is your opinion?

Our 3-bet sizing preflop is too small, try to make a bit bigger for value and for bluff.
The flop isn’t good to us, J35 means that we have no equity to bluff, a poor runner-runner lucky sequence, so in this case we have two options: check back and try to hit a set OTT or bet flop to fold to 90% of turns.
We must bluff in spots where we can improve our equity and this flop isn’t good to us. We cannot try to represent a jack, a queen or a king every single time we 3-bet preflop, or simply because we had made a 3-bet preflop, because sometimes we will 3-bets with other hands (77-99?).
And even if we had a jack and even if villain was dominated it wouldn’t fold: at the micros players get sticky with strong hands and no matter what we do they won’t give up.
In this particular case you played good but you are overbluffing a little. If we are bluffing in spots like this we are bluffing in almost any flop that we are the aggressor.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Our 3-bet sizing preflop is too small, try to make a bit bigger for value and for bluff.
The flop isn’t good to us, J35 means that we have no equity to bluff, a poor runner-runner lucky sequence, so in this case we have two options: check back and try to hit a set OTT or bet flop to fold to 90% of turns.
We must bluff in spots where we can improve our equity and this flop isn’t good to us. We cannot try to represent a jack, a queen or a king every single time we 3-bet preflop, or simply because we had made a 3-bet preflop, because sometimes we will 3-bets with other hands (77-99?).
And even if we had a jack and even if villain was dominated it wouldn’t fold: at the micros players get sticky with strong hands and no matter what we do they won’t give up.
In this particular case you played good but you are overbluffing a little. If we are bluffing in spots like this we are bluffing in almost any flop that we are the aggressor.
Nice, master!

A

Arcemiel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PH
Chips

What is your opinion?

Bet again, theres a chance that he may fold..

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I fully agree on your statement of the 3-bet sizing. I should have raised to .15 or something like that.

I guess it would not have changed the result of preflop action. Still wondering if we can bluff him off on the river. There are tons of hands in our range to beat him.

Nevertheless as I set myself a target to reduce bluffing I am fine with my check here.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nevertheless as I set myself a target to reduce bluffing I am fine with my check here.
This is a wise choice. Bluff less and choose opponents that you have information to be very good for so doing. And when you have no ideia about your opponent spend as less blinds as possible on your bluff strategy. Make cheap bluffs, that's what I mean, if they don't fold, move on.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
This should mostly be a call, and if you are going to mix in a 3-bet, sizing needs to be much larger. With this sizing you are just bloating the pot, when you are out of position with a hand, thats very difficult to play, unless you flop a set.

Flop
77 does benefit quite a bit from protection, so I think, its ok to C-bet this flop.

Turn
Now you have to slow down and check though. If you are going to bet 77, its for value, and what worse hands are going to call you, if you bet all 3 streets? Especially when you go this large and bet almost full pot. You are almost turning your hand into a bluff, and the hand is to strong for that.

River
You finally slowed down and checked, which is fine.

Results
So he had a slightly better pocket pair and you lost. This is not important though. The important is your thought process including the rationale for making a small 3-bet preflop and betting almost full pot on the turn. And also what you write in the post "I did not think, he had a J". Well why? He should be opening plenty of JX hands from BTN, so he can very easily have a J here. There are only 18 combos of 88-TT, but there are 38 combos of J9, JT, QJ, KJ and AJ, and there is no reason, why he would not play these hands the exact way, he did here, apart from checking back the river.

This sounds like a very results oriented post, where you are basically thinking, that maybe you could have bluffed him on the river. But the goal in poker is not to take a hand with showdown value and turn it into a bluff against a slightly better hand. The river action of check-check is fine and standard for both players, but you made serious mistakes earlier in the hand. Just ask yourself this question: If he had turned over 66 or A5, would you then also think, you should have bet the river?

Folding in Poker