Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Splashing around in 2NL Zoom this afternoon and found myself in this spot.

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.08 (104 bb)
MP: $4.83 (242 bb)
CO: $3.02 (151 bb)
BU: $1.06 (53 bb)
SB (Hero): $3.22 (161 bb)
BB: $2.33 (117 bb)

Pre-Flop:
($0.03) Hero is SB with A 5
4 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BB 3-bets to $0.16, Hero calls $0.10

Flop:
($0.32) K Q A (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.11, Hero calls $0.11

Turn:
($0.54) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.38, Hero calls $0.38

River:
($1.30) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $2.57 (all-in), BB calls $1.68 (all-in)

I felt like he was slow playing something on the flop, which ended up giving me a great price to come along.

Should I have been raising my draw on the turn? I'm fairly certain he has a monster or a better ace at that point.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Splashing around in 2NL Zoom this afternoon and found myself in this spot.

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.08 (104 bb)
MP: $4.83 (242 bb)
CO: $3.02 (151 bb)
BU: $1.06 (53 bb)
SB (Hero): $3.22 (161 bb)
BB: $2.33 (117 bb)

Pre-Flop:
($0.03) Hero is SB with A 5
4 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BB 3-bets to $0.16, Hero calls $0.10

Flop:
($0.32) K Q A (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.11, Hero calls $0.11

Turn:
($0.54) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.38, Hero calls $0.38

River:
($1.30) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $2.57 (all-in), BB calls $1.68 (all-in)

I felt like he was slow playing something on the flop, which ended up giving me a great price to come along.

Should I have been raising my draw on the turn? I'm fairly certain he has a monster or a better ace at that point.
Preflop: calling 3-bet here is good and 4-bet is even better: we are on the top of our range with A2s-A5s and we can mix between calling and 4-betting.
The flop is very good for our range, we own top pair and back door flush and I’m afraid there’s no need to rush, check calling and check raising are good lines.
On the turn I think we could be check raising more often than check calling, it would look like we are trying to protect our range, hands like AK, AQ, QQ+, AJ, Ax would mostly be raising this turn for value and for protection.
I’m not saying that calling is wrong, we have so much equity that almost anything we do is fine.
On the river I would like the check raising more than the lead, but it seems it worked for this scenario. Well played and thank you for posting!

P.S:,you should not worry about villain having better aces than you, first you are blocking half of combinations and second villain should’ve bet more OTF and OTT if he had hands like AJ+ or QQ+.

It looks like you are a solid player and I feel glad you are doing well at cash tables. Keep on grinding and let the chips fall as they may.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop it's okay to call with wheel aces from SB vs BB. 4-bet works best against an opponent you think fold a lot IP. Otherwise, it's not ideal to go OOP with a villain who we think tends to play a lot of hands preflop.
The flop is standard. Here calling is the best move. Raising only isolates you with better hands like two pair, while than calling you're beating the hands like 99-JJ, KTs, KJs, QJ, plus random combinations that a BB might eventually try to steal your money.
The turn is perfect for us, as we now have well camouflaged BDFD and V could have worse. And if we go up in this texture, it is because we think that it will call us very wide.
As far as reads go, we only know that he made a strange 3-bet size preflop. Some might classify that fact as fish, however if that is so, it increases the possibility that we will face a monster if we raise, since V: could not correctly value the strong hands of his range, or could have arrived here, with any random combination, that defeats us.
On the river with your overbet you are representing an over valued hand, a bluff, or a flush that got there. Your move is ok, as long as you think that V has a very wide range (which was very likely).
But always making this move will only make your opponent play better, because he can sense that you only do it with really strong hands.
Greetings.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
On the river with your overbet you are representing an over valued hand, a bluff, or a flush that got there. Your move is ok, as long as you think that V has a very wide range (which was very likely).
But always making this move will only make your opponent play better, because he can sense that you only do it with really strong hands.
Yes, very true. I am still waiting for this to stop working so I can start jamming with air :unsure:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
We are definitely not folding to an undersized 3-bet, but A5s is a nice hand to 4-bet from time to time.

Flop
Its not a great board, since we are almost dead to any value hand. But I dont see, how we can fold top pair on the flop to a small C-bet.

Turn
Because you picked up a flushdraw, its fine to call again. Otherwise I would fold. His range is way to strong to check-raise as a bluff.

River
Love this donk jam with the nuts. If he has two pair or a set, he is likely not able to fold it, but he could check back, if you check to him.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with the other posters that this hand is played fine, but I dont think I would ever 4bet bluff preflop at 2NL unless you knew your opponent was 3 betting alot. Most players at 2NL will only 3bet value so 4bet bluffing wont work well.

Also I am not sure the 'weakness' you mention in the title. A 1/3rd cbet is pretty standard and I wouldn't read it as weak.