Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

This hand was played on zoom
Yes, you are overbluffing. 3-bet AJo vs UTG is optimistical unless you have sweet information that villain might fold to aggressive moves preflop or it is opening way more than it should.

silentshowdown

silentshowdown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the context of the 2NL game, making this play is expected to yield a negative expected value (EV). Over the long term, it's likely to result in significant losses. A notable portion of players at this level tends to resist folding even to a 67% pot-sized bet, particularly when holding a pair of 6s or 2s.
It appears that the opponent was bluffing on the turn, likely floating with a weak hand, ultimately failing to connect with any substantial cards.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the context of the 2NL game, making this play is expected to yield a negative expected value (EV). Over the long term, it's likely to result in significant losses. A notable portion of players at this level tends to resist folding even to a 67% pot-sized bet, particularly when holding a pair of 6s or 2s.
It appears that the opponent was bluffing on the turn, likely floating with a weak hand, ultimately failing to connect with any substantial cards.
Not only NLHE 2, almost all of the micro, low and mid stakes.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The math part of it, the bigger you make your bluff, the higher the pressure is for your bluff to work. Your 2/3rd pot bluff has to get the opponent to fold 60% of the time or more to make a profit. So you really have to pay attention and know your opponent. If he never folds your bluff will never work. If he folds everything then your bluff will work 100% of the time. Only there is never a 100% of the time. So you can reduce your bluff amount to put less pressure on the bet.
Also with AJ you do have showdown value. If you check you can win with Ace high, if you bet you have to plan ahead for the raise.

Last edited:
okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
No, you did a well timed bluff on a river scare card. You had the range advantage and used it.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your game is acceptable. You can't fold 100% of the time against a closed position, just because we assume it will always have a very tight range.
However, if we are going to play 3-bet pre, I prefer to do it when I am deeper and not like in this case, when we are effective with 66 bb. The reason for this is a bit psychological, as we seem more desperate to win a pot as soon as possible. Therefore in this special case I prefer to fold preflop.
As played the river is good for us, since we block AKs and KJs which are hands that should eventually move more aggressively in this texture, to obtain maximum value. Since V couldn't knock you down OTT, to recover fold equity from previous streets, he should continue betting and not leave room for you to block his bluffs.