Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
Currency
$
Another session, another hand for discussion:

Should I have bet higher on the Flop? I wanted to build up the pot street by street.

K on the turn was of course not nice, but he slow played and only check-called. So for me still more AK or even AA than KK.

My river bet probably a little to high, welcome to comment.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I agree with just calling his 3-bet, since you are a bit deep with him, and it was also LJ vs. HJ so the first two seats on a 6-max table. I think, if you 4-bet here and face a 5-bet, you end up being against AA or KK a huge percentage of the time.

Flop
You flopped the nuts, so obviously a great flop for you. Often top set is a good hand to slowplay because it block top pair. But here I would not slowplay. From his 3-bet preflop he is more likely to have AA or KK rather than AQ or KQ. So blocking top pair is not all that important, and there is also a flushdraw on board. And for those reasons I go for a check-raise here basically hoping to stack AA or KK and charge his flushdraws. If he is C-betting AK or air, he is probably not going to fire the turn to often, so for me I am ok folding out that bluffy part of his range and go for max value against the stronger parts of his range.

Turn
This was basically the worst card in the deck for you, since it completed the flushdraw, and KK now has a higher set. Ah would also be bad, since it would give AA a higher set, but with Ah on the board at least it would be much less likely, he has a flush. When a card is really bad for you, but you still beat parts of his range, it makes no sense to turn up your aggression. So I dont like this donk bet at all. You are almost overrepresenting your hand, since you are essentially saying, that you turned a flush. As played you should check-call again and then also look to check-call on most rivers.

River
If you think, he is never folding AA or AK, then its ok to bet again as played. There is however a problem with the stack to pot ratio, when you go for this sizing. If he jam on you, you are going to be getting 4:1, which is a really good price, but you are typically going to be beat. So before putting out this bet, you need to think about, what you are going to do facing a jam. And if the plan is to bet-fold, I prefer to go a bit smaller, so that I lose less. This also reduce the risk, he find a tight fold with the hands, you are trying to get value from, which are mainly AA and AK. The alternative is to jam, but even at 2NL I think, there is a high risk, you would mainly get action, when you are beat.

Results
Set over set is always a bit of a cooler, and maybe the result would have been the same regardless. But I still dont like leading on the turn.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with fundiver, check raise flop (especially as you are deep), and dont lead the turn!

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thanks, helpful as always. Step by step I will learn for future spots like that. I already see some improvements due to previous hands I have posted!

Not far away from personal winning zone anymore even with some coolers inbetween

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Another session, another hand for discussion:

Should I have bet higher on the Flop? I wanted to build up the pot street by street.

K on the turn was of course not nice, but he slow played and only check-called. So for me still more AK or even AA than KK.

My river bet probably a little to high, welcome to comment.
Note one serious thing mate: when we are preflop and a player in position makes a 3-bet of 4.2x (4.2 times the sizing of your opening raise), they usually have very strong hands. This is a horrible spot to 4-bet and awful to fold. So we call here, but we are not happy yet. This is a very good flop to us and I don't mind either a lead (donk) or a check-raise. We must raise this flop and build the pot ASAP and also for protection because we don't own the queen of hearts. We could've lead or check-raised in order to get value of potential flush draws and a bunch of KK+ that won't fold here to any sizing we elect to put.
The turn is the worst card possible because it completes a flush we don't own but we still have equity and we can be ahead of some crazy AKo, where villain holds only the ace of hearts (the king of hearts is on the board so...). I don't mind checking til river to see if we can complete a boat but betting seems too much optimistic since hands like JJ, TT could fold, KK has us and there is only AA and AK. Some AK with an ace of hearts will certainly call pursuiting a flush and some of them will raise and we must call.

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
A similar hand structure I my last sessions yesterday:

I think you feedback supported me not to barrel after the 2nd king on the turn.

Still some more comments? Would you have cold the relatively small bet on the river?