MP2: $5.25
CO: $7.60
BTN: $8.50
SB: $1.90

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG+1 with J
heart.gif
T
heart.gif

UTG calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 3 folds, BTN raises to $0.40, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.35) 5
heart.gif
heart.gif
A
heart.gif
(3 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.90

I flop good, and lead into preflop raiser instead of check/raising. I do this quite often. If we both have big hands, stacks go in anyway, so those cases are discounted. My thinking is, if I c/r I'm gaining that one bet when he has nothing. But if he has a weak holding and I lead at him, and he decides he's playing back at me, or that I'm full of it, then I not only win more $$$ this hand, but I have a legitimate shot at his stack. Since I started as the aggressor, further aggression is just what I'm supposed to do, so my further value bets have a deceptive factor. When c/ring, or flat calling then leading the next card or whatever, here's what I feel I'm saying without words, "Hey guess what, I tricked you. I actually have a good hand." The other guy responds, "Oh well I guess you did, nh," and folds.

Is this the best way to play the hand in terms of EV? What are your takes on leading into the raiser v. check/raising, and does it change when moving up/down stakes?

P.S. What's the code for this site to insert an image of the card's suit? I had to steal these from someone else's post.

Last edited:
S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Althought limping from your position was quite loose it is still a fair call i think. Leading out is fine i'd say. You don't want to check down for another heart to ruin your pot. Also...with leading out, your play comes across feeling slightly weak and you want to kill the action there as you feel your hand isn't strong enough to put a check raise in. ( We know however this is not the case.) If the villain does hold an Ace then he will be calling, especially at these limits. I think you played this fine personally. You pick up 13bb if villain and utg fold. You pick up even more if they come over the top.
Let me know the outcome when there's been enough posts ;)

Scragbag

J

jasdell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this play here just fine. Leading out is probably the best way to build a pot on a flop like this because as scragbag said a lot of action will dry up if another heart comes down on the turn or river and if the action doesn't dry up you can't be sure your hand is good

Against a player that I once know cbets the flop big and usually always raises the turn I might slowplay here in a rare instance and go for the check raise on the turn. But that's just to mix up your game and is rarely needed at the levels I'm playing.

and I think its [/10H] for a heart... lets see... [10H]