$1000 NLHE Full Ring: Repeated underbet, 1 pair valuetown raise?

Z

Zybomb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1000 NL HE Full Ring: Repeated underbet, 1 pair valuetown raise?

5/5 NL Effective Stacks $1000

No abnormal read on villain. One semi notable hand is I saw him limp A8s into a straddle pot 5 ways, then call a UTGs bet of $40 on a A
diamond.gif
J
diamond.gif
club.gif
flop, and then $100 on a 3
heart.gif
turn and check behind on a 8
diamond.gif
river. He is a 50s Russian man with a noticeable accent if that means anything.

Straddle $10. 1 Call, MP Opens to $50, I call from the CO with 99, Straddle calls limper calls

Flop: 5
heart.gif
diamond.gif
spade.gif

Straddle leads out for $75, folds to me and I call.

Turn: 3
heart.gif

Straddle leads out for $75 again and I call

River: 8
club.gif

Straddle leads out for $75

I think the flop call despite the kind of underbet is pretty standard although I'd be happy to debate the pros of raising (to quickly summarize basically I didn't raise bc if we're raising we can't stand being shoved on and we don't know how this opponent will play pair draw hands that we beat so I don't wanna get blow off my hand...also if we are called I think we freeze the turn a lot)

As far as the turn, when he underbets again can i raise and expect a call? Like a 65 64 type hand? 66-88? A5? Some weird Backdoor hearts hand? It seems weak unless he's getting ultra cute with boat here trying to induce a raise or keep around straight draws

If I don't raise the turn can I now value raise this river? With this weak bet again I almost have to be good... But will he call with anything I can beat? And I guess I could be wrong sometimes about his weakness?

Had Straddle lead out normal amounts I wouldn't give raising any consideration (instead I'd give folding consideration) but with this betting i think it's different, his hand looks like a medium 1 pair hand, particularly on the river.... i just dunno if i can be called

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think raise-folding the turn makes a lot of sense, here. You can even minraise. You (probably) won't fold out flushdraws that way, but you will at last accomplish four things:

1. Get a relatively cheap showdown (as played, he obviously bet $75 on the river too, so no loss or gain there)
2. Have a relatively easy time folding if he comes over the top. A raise on this turn screams "strength" very loudly that I'd be very surprised if he dared re-raising as a naked bluff.
3. Achieve at least SOME fold equity; if he's double-barreling some overcards, he should at least be able to fold some if not all of those hands.
4. You might get some more money in from worse hands that will call a small raise here but won't put in another bet on the river unimproved, e.g. 66, many flushdraws.

As played, I'd call the river. I think raising is spewy, because I don't think you beat his calling range. Without knowing him better, I wouldn't be too surprised if he showed up with even a hand like AA here; bad players play good hands in bad ways. And I think raising and hoping to get called by 77/A8 or AK is thin.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with FP in this instance. As played you cant raise the river as it just puts us in a horrible spot if villian comes back over the top.

There is alot of merit in raising the urn as(as FP indicated) it basically turns villians hand face up. From the info given about the previous hand villian seems to me to be a little bit on the passive side so we can safely assume if he is betting the flop and turn and re raising the turn that he has us beat and is an easy fold, if villian calls the turn i just check/call behind on a blank river as it was in this hand.