$100 NLHE 6-max: Jam combo draw vs turn check in 3B pot?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $1 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 237.41 BB
UTG: 90.16 BB
Hero (CO): 81.3 BB
BTN: 134.25 BB
SB: 114.38 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A J

fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, BB raises to 10 BB, Hero calls 7.5 BB

Flop: (20.5 BB, 2 players) 8 9 T
BB bets 15.19 BB, Hero calls 15.19 BB

Turn: (50.88 BB, 2 players) 5
BB checks, Hero bets 56.11 BB and is all-in,

Pre is probably a fold. I typically continue with AJs and fold AJo vs think kind of player but with position I opted to call light.

We flop an open ender and face a large bet on a wet board but with the open ender, two overs, and back door nut diamonds I don't think we can find a fold.

Turn brings in diamonds and we get a check. Worst case scenario we have about 35% vs AA and QQ. We have about 44% against KK and we can get most other hands to fold save TT. We have just over a pot sized bet. Clear jam or take a free card in position but with no showdown value?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Regarding what you wrote in your post I agree that this is probably a fold pre flop although I dont think calling is bad. The reason why I dont think it is bad is wheel Ax suited is in a lot of players 3 bet ranges now than in the past. Which also means I disagree with you that you dont have showdown value as you could actually be going against a worse ace here but more than likely yes, you have little to no showdown value here.

As far as the hand is played I think its played fine. Its a big bet to call on the flop but not too huge to be speculative with your holding on the the turn with your stack size, jamming is best for fold equity. You might run into some things there at times like KQ or QJ of diamonds but that is unlikely and since you have the ace of diamonds that cuts down on villains two diamond holdings. I also doubt you are going against a set there because why would they check it with another diamond coming on the board. They should be a little scared of a fourth diamond on the river and also should want to get value from their set. I think you are up against JJ, QQ or a hand like A3 clubs. The pairs arent folding and you do make the worse Ace hands fold which makes the shove look bad but at this point with nothing but ace high I dont think getting a fold is bad here. You would get a nice pre flop raise and big flop bet as value for the hand.