$100 NLHE 6-max: J8s is too pretty to fold because I have awesome reads on villain.

G

GrantGreen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 2 obvious reasons that 4 betting to about 2.5x the 3 bet amount is the 'right' amount.

1) (and this seems to be the one you're using to justify your play) It allows you to 4 bet light more cheaply.

2) (and this seems to be the one you're ignoring) It lays an excellent price to the player who 3 bet to CONTINUE.

The bet sizing is saying 2 seemingly contradictory things at the same time. Thence comes the power of that bet size. And it doesn't give you all the info you need to 5 bet shove with J8. Without history.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2) (and this seems to be the one you're ignoring) It lays an excellent price to the player who 3 bet to CONTINUE.
Um, no it doesn't... I have to commit 100$ to shove, and he's only risking 19$...

Are you suggesting I flat this 4-bet?

G

GrantGreen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he has a monster, he is pricing you in to flat. His 4 bet gives the 3 bettor a good price to call and re-evaluate on the flop. I'm not saying that flatting a 4 bet oop is good, just that his bet sizing could be interpreted as wanting a call.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a small 4-bet more invites a bluff shove than a call. Calling is pretty bad in this spot but if you 4-bet small you allow the other player to actually have some fold equity when they shove. As you mentioned this would indicate that he could have a monster and want to invite bluff shoves but more likely he also does it with air for balance.

Folding in Poker