$100 NLHE 6-max: AK 4bet vs All In from BB - call/fold?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can you please explain this? I did the calculation myself and got the same answer as Tim.

Let's say we ignore the SB as that's probably raked anyway. Now you're calling $82.62 to win a total pot of $229.24 (that's what the pot will be after we call, inclusive of our money, not what the pot currently is). Therefore, we can directly convert this to a fraction.

82.62 is 36% of 229.24. Thus the breakeven point is 36% equity.

This is exactly right. In economics, we call this a "sunk cost". When you're trying to make a future decision, you need to ignore the sunk costs and focus solely on the marginal benefit vs the marginal cost. In this case, the $32 has already been "sunk" and our marginal benefit is a chance to win a pot of $229.24 for a marginal cost of $82.62.

Yes, you're correct. You're calling 82$ to win $146. I didn't look at the hand. I just looked at what the previous poster said the call/win amount is. But yes, you do not include the call in the pot total. It's 1.78:1 = ~36%. So it was correct, and my bad for not looking at the actual hand amount totals.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you're correct. You're calling 82$ to win $146.
Great, now I didn't double-check the OP and went by my own mention of 229.24. Poor memory skills. :p

Note to self: GO TO BED!

Folding in Poker