$100 NL HE 6-max: How would you’ve played it?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.50/$1
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
Currency
$
$100 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

SB: 208.5 BB
Hero (BB): 126 BB
UTG: 91 BB
MP: 111.4 BB
CO: 125.9 BB
BTN: 55.6 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Tc Td

fold, MP calls 1 BB, CO calls 1 BB, BTN calls 1 BB, fold, Hero raises to 11 BB, MP calls 10 BB, fold, BTN calls 10 BB

Flop : (34.5 BB, 3 players) 3c 4h 2s

Hero bets 23 BB, MP calls 23 BB, fold

Turn : (80.5 BB, 2 players) Kc

Hero bets 80.5 BB, MP calls 77.4 BB and is all-in

Villain had a VPIP 64
Could you please analyze this hand?

Best regards;

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Have you moved up to 100NL mate, or is someone else hero in this hand?

Preflop
Surprised to get 3 limps at 100NL and TT is a great hand to squeeze. I typically make it smaller, perhaps 7 or 8bb but I think the larger size is also fine.

Flop
A great flop and I agree cbetting is the best play as there are so many bad cards that could come. Sizing seems quite large, but that is fine v fish as they will call with 77, 88 and probably any Ace.

Turn
This is a bad card for your hand but decent for range. I would check on this card as is worse really going to call? Maybe if your opponents are really bad or overvalued a draw like 55. We can encourage bluffs by checking and arent intending to fold. I dont think the shove is too bad though as villain shouldn't have much Kx anyway, but I would be worried once called.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general it seems to me a very exploitative style. Well focused I think it has its benefits and against specific opponents who are capable of calling with bottom pairs, etc.
Obviously you need a few sample hands and knowledge of your opponents' playing style. These types of plays do happen sometimes in the live games I play.
Raising to 11bb is a bit risky vs 3 callers, but like I said it makes sense from an exploitative approach.
Flop continues to polarize the ranges. Betting at 2/3 pot is quite polarizing. Probably the idea is that the opponents are very sticky.
The turn is horrible for us, but once polarized we need to represent some values as well. And here we should have some AK that finally came on the turn While it's unlikely that the Vs will continue this far with pure air, it looks like they shouldn't have much Kxs in their range.
Greetings.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Have you moved up to 100NL mate, or is someone else hero in this hand?

Preflop
Surprised to get 3 limps at 100NL and TT is a great hand to squeeze. I typically make it smaller, perhaps 7 or 8bb but I think the larger size is also fine.

Flop
A great flop and I agree cbetting is the best play as there are so many bad cards that could come. Sizing seems quite large, but that is fine v fish as they will call with 77, 88 and probably any Ace.

Turn
This is a bad card for your hand but decent for range. I would check on this card as is worse really going to call? Maybe if your opponents are really bad or overvalued a draw like 55. We can encourage bluffs by checking and arent intending to fold. I dont think the shove is too bad though as villain shouldn't have much Kx anyway, but I would be worried once called.
No mate, this is not me playing this hand. I’m setting a plan to begin playing NLHE 5, for I have a couple of buy-ins.
This hand belongs to a forum mate, that apparently has left the forum. It was posted a few years ago and raised a major polemic. I will post the original thread soon, thanks for your attention.

Yes, I also got surprised with 3 limpers at this stake. Uncommon. The fact is that I believe the OP of this hand wasn’t playing NLHE 100 but NLHE 2.
You got it right on the spot: 3 limpers at NLHE 100??? Even in 2020 it’s hard to believe.
And on top of that why OP put only VPIP stats?
One more curious thing: OP never revealed the results of this hand: by the way, in 2020 there were the CardsChat’s Hand Replayer already.
I was pretty much childish on evaluating this hand and also for personal problems I decided to quit posting on the forum by that time.
Here’s the original poster:

Thanks

Last edited:
S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No mate, this is not me playing this hand. I’m setting a plan to begin playing NLHE 5, for I have a couple of buy-ins.
This hand belongs to a forum mate, that apparently has left the forum. It was posted a few years ago and raised a major polemic. I will post the original thread soon, thanks for your attention.

Yes, I also got surprised with 3 limpers at this stake. Uncommon.
Good. Glad you are being careful with your bankroll and not jumping up too soon!

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good. Glad you are being careful with your bankroll and not jumping up too soon!
Thanks mate, it’s kind of you. I edited the post, please take a look when/if you have some time.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You were furious that day lol
Glad you remember that mate! 😆
Yes, I was angry to my girlfriend and decided to put it on the forum. I felt myself ashamed later and then quit posting for a couple of years.
I’m still learning from my own limitations.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well, it is nice that the results weren't shown in that other thread. Or maybe I just glossed over it amongst all the bickering there.

Regarding the hand itself, I hope that someday I don't care about money enough that I can piss away $160 or so with tens on a connected board that also has a king on it.

Is there something wrong with the stack sizes, because they don't seem to add up to the bet sizes on the different streets?

Anyway... When two players come along, even if one has a high VPIP, and then one sticks around then it just feels like I am betting for their benefit rather than mine if I would play that way. I know I am beat by four other overpairs and three lower pairs that hit sets, any Kx, sets, A5, 56, and other suited garbage hands that hit two pairs. When I put them all in on the turn, what is going to call that doesn't have me beat? I might bluff off queens and jacks maybe?

Last edited:
S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This hand annoyed you alot for some reason! I dont think its played that bad, though as you say it feels more like 2NL than 100Nl

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand annoyed you alot for some reason! I dont think its played that bad, though as you say it feels more like 2NL than 100Nl
That's the point it is just the play that we discussed at another point here. @Alballinamion it is exploitative play up to the flop as described in a microstakes book. But after that when the K shows up on the turn the player decides to make his unimproved hand to a semi bluff on a very wet board.
A5 in any combo and 56 in any combo, any set at the flop, on the turn KK is a set over set option that makes the given hand less likely be a winning hand.
So at this point pot control in form of check fold to any reasonable action is the way to play even in the given OOP situation.
Even if this player with a VPIP of 64 annoys you and you have a history with him (sample size matters a bit if theses stats are over more than 50 or 100 hands, even that can be a bit small sample size).
There are times at the tables, after a long dry period with only crap hands, when the monster hands come to you like never before and then you may have a session with such enormous stats, extremely rare but it happens.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If I read it right the Villain was fishing for a Gut shot straight? Which could have happened but highly unlikely with only the River to come, Some people just love a fairy tale endings and I suppose he thought it was his turn to shine,
Personally I wouldn't have even Limped pre-flop with a hand like 6/4 let alone call a 10X raise, but to each his own! I only have one Question. did he River the 5 he needed?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yeah... it was my girlfriend. She didn’t like poker and was gettin on my nerves. Plus this OP was really pissing me off. I saw him playing NLHE 2 but in his mind it was NLHE 100. Well, I learned and came back to the forum stronger and wiser. Thanks for your attention again.
Even if this player with a VPIP of 64 annoys you and you have a history with him (sample size matters a bit if theses stats are over more than 50 or 100 hands, even that can be a bit small sample size).
Thank you but I’m not hero on this hand.
If I read it right the Villain was fishing for a Gut shot straight?
Not sure mate.
I only have one Question. did he River the 5 he needed?
I also have this same question. I’m not hero on this hand. And OP never posted results. Quite sure it got busted before the river. Thanks!