$100 NL HE 6-max: Defense SB VS range 4-bet of BU. What hands fold in this texture?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.50/$1
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.50/$1.00 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/325dXXTfk

UTG: $110.80 (111 bb)
CO: $106.89 (107 bb)
BU: $101.00 (101 bb)
SB (Hero): $100.00 (100 bb)
BB: $105.04 (105 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($1.50) Hero is SB with 9♥ Q♥
2 players fold, BTN raises to $2.50, Hero 3-bets to $10.50, 1 fold, BTN 4-bets to $23, Hero calls $12.50

Flop: ($47) T♦ 2♦ 6♥ (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $11, Hero raises to $32.33, BU folds

Total pot: $69 (Rake: $2.50)
SB (Hero) wins $66.50

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.50/$1.00 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/325dXXTfk

UTG: $110.80 (111 bb)
CO: $106.89 (107 bb)
BU: $101.00 (101 bb)
SB (Hero): $100.00 (100 bb)
BB: $105.04 (105 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($1.50) Hero is SB with 9♥ Q♥
2 players fold, BTN raises to $2.50, Hero 3-bets to $10.50, 1 fold, BTN 4-bets to $23, Hero calls $12.50

Flop: ($47) T♦ 2♦ 6♥ (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $11, Hero raises to $32.33, BU folds

Total pot: $69 (Rake: $2.50)
SB (Hero) wins $66.50
What can I say about this hand? Perfect.
Bravo! ❤️
I think that just for the sake of criticism we are diving into Exploitative Poker. It isn’t common a raise OTF (4-bet pot), só villain assumed we had TT, or JJ+ which is awesome.
Our equity is good and if it happens that villain elected to jam over our raise, we must be going through it (by now we had put much more than 30% of our stack at risk, so we must go when this happens).

Nice hand

Let the chips fall as they may!

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just fold pre! The hand is probably indifferent between 3bet or fold pre, so its bottom of range facing 4bet and should be folded. Q9s is not a great hand!

Nice flop raise with backdoors and it seems as though villain had AK no diamond or something like that.

Presume you carry on barreling if a heart comes or you pick up a straight draw?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Our equity is good and if it happens that villain elected to jam over our raise, we must be going through it (by now we had put much more than 30% of our stack at risk, so we must go when this happens).
No!!! If villain 3bets the flop it's an easy fold as hero will have so little equity, doesnt matter that 30% of stack has gone in. That's why bad draws are good raising candidates as we are not forced to call off

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just fold pre! The hand is probably indifferent between 3bet or fold pre, so its bottom of range facing 4bet and should be folded. Q9s is not a great hand!

Nice flop raise with backdoors and it seems as though villain had AK no diamond or something like that.

You're right. This was an isolated defense with the weak part of the range (I rarely does this to compensate for my passive image from SB). I think I got lucky with this flop that didn't benefit Villain.
Regarding your question, I think that in this case I specify would continue betting, since I try to represent a strong range.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No!!! If villain 3bets the flop it's an easy fold as hero will have so little equity, doesnt matter that 30% of stack has gone in. That's why bad draws are good raising candidates as we are not forced to call off
I think you have a strong and solid point here. And I confess that I got a little in doubt here: haven’t we invested almost 50% of our stack bluffing seeking what? (this is totally speculative scenario, villain folded).
It doesn’t matter if 30-40-50% of our stack has gone to the hole when we are playing lower stakes than NLHE 100, I guess.
Once we put the chips on the table they don’t belong to us any longer. So let’s assume we will perform this hypothetical action (of investing nearly 50% of our stack til the flop than folding to aggression, ES = 100 BB) just ten times out of thousands, having equity ahead: ten times we raise a 4-bet pot OTF, having 20-30% equity and fold when villain jams, we are losing, - EV 500 BB!
By folding we never realize whatever equity we had OTF. By going thorough and putting all chips on the table, we will win 20-30% of times. We are still -EV, but at least we are not losing so much.
Maybe I’m wrong but you brought up a nice point that is good and valuable for lower stakes.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I think that is okay to 3-bet from time to time having such combos with removal and stuff that can improve our equity postflop.
hands like 99, TT, JJ and QQ would’ve called here so I’m board from time to time to emulate those hands a create a perceived capped range (villain knows or should know we don’t own KK+ most of times).
And what I’m saying it’s worth for NLHE 100, only!
Of course that NLHE 2, 5, 10, 16, 25 we are 3-betting combos like these and folding a 100% of times to a 4-bet.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker