$10 NLHE Full Ring: Sometimes I think that I should fold KK on the preflop when the crazy bets start

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$10 NLHE Full Ring: Sometimes I think that I should fold KK on the preflop when the crazy bets start

If my hand was A A, then I would just put all-in in response to the opponent's big raise on the preflop. Because when such bets start, you subconsciously understand that there will be an all-in on the river or even earlier. I didn't quite understand what cards the villain might have. He was betting so fast, like a terminator. Perhaps in its range AJ, AQ, pocket pairs. However, I noticed that he lowered the speed on the turn and put only 1/3, fearing a flash. Maybe I should put a lot in this moment. But I wasn't sure that he would fold. And the river turned out even more terrible.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/824VomzkP

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Just a min-raise is very small for cash games and not something, I would personally do. When facing multible callers and a 3-bet from big blind, for me this is a mandatory 4-bet. I dont want to invite the other two players to see a flop with position on me, and even when they fold, you put yourself in far more tough postflop spots by not 4-betting. If the guy have AA, then so be it.

Flop
As played I would at least consider raising the flop. By not 4-betting pre you have underrepresented your hand and kept his range wide. AK has a gutshot on this board, so you might even get him to continue with that, or if he fold, you deny a lot of equity.

Turn
Now the flush got there, and you dont have Kd, so now I am definitely just calling hoping to be up against a hand like AQ, which is still betting for value, or that he is bluffing with a naked diamond.

River
Thats pretty much the worst card in the deck, and he can definitely have it, because any hand in his range with Ad would likely be played like this. So as played I would also fold now.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are scared of playing the flop with KK, you should get the villain to go all-in preflop. A 4-bet / all-in must be mandatory preflop. But if you look at the flop, the call on such a heavily drawn board is just awful. You need to 3-bet the flop and decide whether to move on or fold on that street.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
your biggest mistake is not to 4bet with preflop with other two players in the pot. Flop is close, because villain can have QQ-JJ, QJ, so I like your call. However on the turn I would just shove, because villain is basically saying he has Qx. With flush he would size a bit, you don't need to be scared of it.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to initially mini-bet and push on the preflop. Because I assumed that someone would make a big raise. But I changed my mind at the last minute, as I had won a good pot before this hand and often stumbled upon pocket aces recently.
I played a call on the flop, not a 3-bet, because...
Straight-draw does not fold here.
Flash-draw does not fold here.
AQ does not fold here.
Two pairs or sets also do not fold.
My hand will no longer improve, as one of the remaining kings in the deck gives a flash.
Reviewing my hand, I understand that it was necessary to transform the hand into a bluff on the turn. The opponent would not make a small bet with a flush, perhaps a check or a big bet. But if he had pocket aces, then I lost the minimum in this hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to initially mini-bet and push on the preflop. Because I assumed that someone would make a big raise. But I changed my mind at the last minute, as I had won a good pot before this hand and often stumbled upon pocket aces recently.

The most common form of tilt is to make bad calls or bluffs after losing, because we so badly wants to win. But becoming overly cautious, because we have been burned lately, is also tilt and just as detrimental for your results. If you really dont want to get stacked - yet again - then move down, until it no longer bothers you.

I played a call on the flop, not a 3-bet, because...
Straight-draw does not fold here.
Flash-draw does not fold here.
AQ does not fold here.
Two pairs or sets also do not fold.

You are ahead of draws and way ahead of AQ. If you raise, its a raise for value, and you want him to continue with those worse hands, so that you can win a bigger pot, when he does not draw out on you. Just calling is not nearly as bad now, as it was preflop, but this is still scared thinking, where your main priority is to aviod losing a big pot.

I understand that it was necessary to transform the hand into a bluff on the turn.

Absolutely no. You still beat several hands in his range including AQ. Also to be able to bluff, you need to get better hands to fold, and which better hands is he going to fold now? You want him to fold aces? Two pair? Most players wont, so there is absolutely no reason to raise to get him to fold a better hand.

The opponent would not make a small bet with a flush, perhaps a check or a big bet.

It is true, that he sized down on the turn, but in my opinion it could mean a lot of different things:

1) He might be trying to set a cheap price with a draw
2) He might have a made hand that is scared of the flush
3) He might have the nuts and not want to lose his customer

I typically try to avoid guessing ti much about, what my opponents might be attempting to do with a certain sizing. Instead I stick to solid fundamentals. Call or raise more, if they bet small and fold more, if they bet big.

But if he had pocket aces, then I lost the minimum in this hand.

That is true but why are you so focused on him having this one particular hand? Running KK into AA is one of the least important things in poker. It happens to everyone at the same frequenzy, and everyone normally goes broke. And if they dont, they give up more value elsewhere. So just accept it, when it happen, reload and move on to the next hand.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is true but why are you so focused on him having this one particular hand? Running KK into AA is one of the least important things in poker. It happens to everyone at the same frequenzy, and everyone normally goes broke. And if they dont, they give up more value elsewhere. So just accept it, when it happen, reload and move on to the next hand.
I try to pay attention to any nuance. If the opponent has the best hand, then it is necessary to understand and read it during the hand. Even AA vs KK.

Here is my old hand, which I posted on the forum. I didn't raise with UTG 1 and folded with KK on a low flop.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524O02dPu

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is my old hand, which I posted on the forum. I didn't raise with UTG 1 and folded with KK on a low flop.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524O02dPu

That is another hand, where you played KK to passively preflop. And even on the flop this fold is to tight. Yes this time they both had you beat, but there will also be times, where one of them have a flushdraw, and the other one have a worse overpair. Or they both have a worse overpair. The difficult thing about poker is, that even when we make a bad decision, we will sometimes be "right", and this can then lead to confirmation bias.

Folding in Poker