$10 NLHE Full Ring: Set facing raise on turn

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how to convert this hand into the normal CC format... Sorry. I have to describe it with words. This is 10NL at a Chico Network table

I have ThTc on SB with about 190 big blinds.
Villain 1 has about 97 big blinds from UTG+1.
Villain 2 has about 45 big blinds from CO.

Villain 1 raises to 35c. CO flat calls. I call. (I just called here because I don't like raising up the pot OOP in this situation as the open raise feels pretty strong. Might even face a 4bet and leave me with a tough decision.)

Flop comes Jc7c5c. I check, they both check.

Turn comes a T.

I bet 80c into the $1 pot. He raises to $2.40.

At this point, I stupidly just thought my set is good here and did not even consider he might have AcKc or AcQc type hand and slowed played the flop. (I would bet the flop if it's me) Didn't think it was JJ cuz would also bet that flop.

The right play is to just call but I pushed all in. He called.

I won but afterwards I just shook my head cuz shoving isn't the right play there.

What would you do on the turn?

What hand(s) would check that flop and raise on the turn?

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree that you did anything wrong. You're only behind if your opponent out-flopped you, which would be extremely lucky. Your shove on the turn prevents him from catching a Club without putting it all on the line. Good job.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you on pre flop to call there. If you are going against opponents that will fold to 3 bets a lot it makes sense to 3 bet here but if you are going against opponents you are pretty sure will call the 3 bet from you I like calling. Plus there is the 4 bet possibility that you mention as well.

Since the flop is all one suit and everyone checks I would discount sets from my opponents because that is a bad play to check a set there. Could be up against bad players here but I still discount anyone has a set. When we get raised on the turn I still dont think its a set or two pair since you would hear those on the the flop, same with an overpair in my opinion. This raise seems like it is a flush, a Jx turning their hand into a bluff (whether they realize that or not) or its a pure bluff. I even discount Ax with A of clubs because if that was played passively on the flop why would they now play it aggressively. Knowing that I am way ahead or way behind the flush I would just call as you suggest. River will put us in a tough spot but I would really think this is a spot where we are only getting called by flushes and the one hand of JJ that is beating us that our raise could make fold is non existent in my opinion. You said you won the hand so I am curious at to what villain had but I am not sure what hand they had that would call your jam that you beat. Dont get me wrong, there are worse hands that could call here but those hands would not be hands that I would think would play the flop the way they did. If villain did have a set I am surprised they played it this way.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He had QcKc. I rivered a FH to suck out.

I just did not give enough thought to the possibility that he opened with 2 big clubs.

Can't fold the set there, but should just call. Like you said it's highly unlikely he has a set (woulda bet the flop), or an ace high flush draw (which would just call).

The most likely hand that would chk flop and raise turn bet and then call my shove is a made flush.

I like Chico, my only complaint is that the time clock is so short. If I had like 20 extra seconds, I HOPE that I would realize calling is the right play.