$10 NLHE Full Ring: QQ overpair on scary board

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read so much stuff on raising size from different positions that I don't know what to think. For instance I saw a vid from Chris Fergunson (on FT Academy if I'm not mistaken) where he defends that since the opponents perception of your range in EP is tighter but the value is lower that the EP raise size should be smaller.

On one hand this makes some sense, perception wise. On the other hand it makes little sense because if you are tighter from EP then the hands you play are usualy ahead of your opponent range but you're OOP.

I'm not giving an opinion btw, just adding something to the discussion of opening sizes. I personally always open with the same value (4x) + limpers.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read so much stuff on raising size from different positions that I don't know what to think. For instance I saw a vid from Chris Fergunson (on FT Academy if I'm not mistaken) where he defends that since the opponents perception of your range in EP is tighter but the value is lower that the EP raise size should be smaller.

I think he meant that for tournaments. For cash games it makes no sense.

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll have to confirm that Belgo. I'm almost sure I was only watching cash/strategy vids, but generaly I agree with you. I just can't find a good reasoning to change the opening size but maybe that's more stakes related.

/thread hijack :)

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's something i mostly do. My late position opening sometimes changes depending on the players in the blinds. Bigger when they are fishes, smaller when they are shortstackers or good regulars

Ah cool makes a lot of sense really when theres always aggro regs or shorties to my left, so 3x opens in EP and MP, and would you recommend making all the LP's including the HJ a lower size or just the button? Think i will experiment around tomorrow, must be an instant + to my winrate - cheers!

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll have to confirm that Belgo. I'm almost sure I was only watching cash/strategy vids, but generaly I agree with you. I just can't find a good reasoning to change the opening size but maybe that's more stakes related.

/thread hijack :)

There are tonnes of reasons to change opening betsize, but reducing the size in EP because your range is strongest isnt one of them.

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Stu what I had to confirm was that the video was for tourneys. :)

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im going to give this ago, I will raise 4xbb utg and utg+1, 3xbb for middle positions and 2.5x for button and CO. Does that sound like a good default?

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think im gonna try the standard 3x in all positions and then in late positions make it like .60 cents so its just under 2.5x

J

johnnytt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just flat the flop if you are going to raise I would make it bigger so you are not laying him 3 to 1 on a call on the flop on a very drawy board.