$10 NLHE 6-max: Should I have shoved KK here?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had KhKd on hijack. Sitting 105 big blinds at start of hand.
UTG limps, I raised to 50c. CO calls, everyone else folds.

Flop's Q94 with 3 hearts.

I bet 2/3 pot. about $0.89, he raises to about $2.70.

First time playing with this guy. I felt he is probably raising a Q here (possibly AQ). I thought about shoving here but I've been running into a lot of flopped sets lately, which likely would raise that flop. I called.

Turn's the Q of spades. I check. He raises about $4.25 (about half his stack) into a $6.40 pot. I felt like he was setting up for a river shove. Didn't smell like a bluff. If he did raise with a Q he got there.

I folded and said to myself I should have just shoved on the flop.

Would you shove there on the flop? A flopped set and flopped flush is unlikely. He was likely raising a Q.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the Kh in your hand, I think a flop shove is fine.

Once you've decided to take that more passive line, when the 2nd Q comes on the turn, and he looks to be playing for stacks, I like your fold.

3000stonewall

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tough Spot

I had KhKd on hijack. Sitting 105 big blinds at start of hand.
UTG limps, I raised to 50c. CO calls, everyone else folds.

Flop's Q94 with 3 hearts.

I bet 2/3 pot. about $0.89, he raises to about $2.70.

First time playing with this guy. I felt he is probably raising a Q here (possibly AQ). I thought about shoving here but I've been running into a lot of flopped sets lately, which likely would raise that flop. I called.

Turn's the Q of spades. I check. He raises about $4.25 (about half his stack) into a $6.40 pot. I felt like he was setting up for a river shove. Didn't smell like a bluff. If he did raise with a Q he got there.

I folded and said to myself I should have just shoved on the flop.

Would you shove there on the flop? A flopped set and flopped flush is unlikely. He was likely raising a Q.

It sounds like he had Qx. I think you did the right thing with folding. He could have already flushed or flopped a little set.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can rule out the villain having stone cold nuts here as they would be too afraid you would fold unless they believe you are a calling station. The problem is if you shove here on the flop what do you expect to call you besides, made flushes, sets, and possibly Ax hands where villain has Ace of hearts. I dont think any two pair hands get here with the pre flop raise so I will not include them as villain could call or fold them and you are about even money against those hands. Against ace of hearts you are around 57% fav but the other hands are beating you good with you being roughly a 35% dog. There is some value to taking the pot down with a shove but I feel like the better play here is to let the villain keep betting their hands that are worse then yours. I dont like making a bet where at least for the most part worse hands fold and only better hands call. If you want to commit to your hand that is fine but you should try to keep the worse hands in to get value from them.

You played the hand well in my opinion by keeping in worse hands and then a bad turn came and you correctly realized there is not too much if anything we beat anymore so we have to pitch.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: iso to 4x, 5x is too big.

F: easy check/call vs normal bet.

As played (cbet), yes crying cbet/call. Don't 3bet jam: only better hands call, only worse hands fold.

T: check/fold is fine.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right fold on turn unless the villain is a total maniac who can barell with Nut Flush draw

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I'd fold also unless opponent was over aggressive in prior hands. These are huge bets on monotone board and looks like a flopped flush protecting against the 4th heart to counterfeit his lower flush. Good fold