$10 NLHE 6-max: Should I bet bigger on the river?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just answering the question about the river your bet sizing would right where mine would have been in game so I think it is fine. Its easy to say we should have bet more once we know villain flips over 2 pair but no way in game we could know that. Villains bet on the turn could be a bluff for all we know and then they are double barreling on river. Its probably unlikely thats the case and most likely villain has a one pair hand. If villain is not spewy or a call station then how much can we expect to get from a one pair hand on this board where we played passively (btw, I am fine with the passivity in this hand) and then all the sudden raise the river? We would need to hope villain thinks we are bluffing and that probably wont be the case enugh to go really big so the sizing to me fine. No way I think villain has trips so hoping for that is a lost cause as well. Good bet sizing imo

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
97s is near the bottom of our HJ opening range but still completely fine.

Flop
You flopped an OESD, and I would pretty much be C-betting this 100% of the time. Its difficult to have much worse showdown value than 9 high, so whatever you get him to fold, thats a great result for you. By C-betting you also build the pot for those times, you improve, and you start a potential multistreet bluff, where maybe he call once or twice but then fold later. If you want to really play GTO poker, you are probably supposed to sometimes check back draws, so that you can have those draws in your range, when they come in. But at 10NL and lower I dont think, balance is really all that important.

Turn
As played a clear call.

River
You made your straight on the end and faced another bet, and I like your decision to raise. Maybe you could have gone a bit larger like 3$, but your raise was a little over half pot, and thats definitely the right ballpark. You dont have the nuts here with the second straight on a paired board, so you dont want to raise so large, that you only get action, when you are beat. Its also a situation, where I would be raise-folding against most opponents, because how often do people really 3-bet the river as a bluff. And if my plan is to raise-fold, I also dont want to raise so large, that I have accidentally committed myself to the pot.

A

Axe1Gold

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a good play I think. Preflop he only call your raise. I f he had a better hand he reraise it easily but he didn't.

The flop comes he check It could be a slow play with A6s, K6s, 76s or A6o. He talks first.
In this time I think you have to raise to know what he got but checj is ok.

He raise half pot in turn and river he is good but not so good to raise more.

The only question is how much can he call if you reraise

This is only my opinion I maybe wrong...

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
97s is a 33/67 dog to a top 10% range, with 4 players yet to play with 2 in position I would not open with this.

Flop
Hero hit the flop hard, but didn't c-bet? I think c-betting is mandatory here, IMHO. Is the plan to fold to a bet if Hero doesn't make the straight. On top of that what is Villain's calling range? Unless she started with a pair a fold is likely.

Turn
What does Villain have? We have no idea. She could be bluffing . She could have an pair or high card all of which win, even if by accident. What is the plan for the River? Hero's 8 outs to the straight are not enough to justify a call. Because hero did not c-bet, Hero should fold.

River
Hero's 8 outs came in and the straight is likely good. There is a possibility Villain has a boat, but how many 66, 68, 6T, or 6J can she have? Your raise is mandatory, IMHO. I would have gone larger but not much larger Hero's raise was already a little over half pot, another buck maybe? The question is what can Villain have? her hand looks weak and if Hero raises too much Villain will fold.

I'd rate the hand a C-.