$10 NLHE 6-max: Putting player on a range?

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shot taking 10nl. At times seems easier than 5nl?!? Less 3-betting, etc. That's another topic though.

Villain is 27/16 over 46 hands... a 0 FCB.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 218.2 BB
Hero (UTG): 204.9 BB
CO: 100 BB
BTN: 176.9 BB
SB: 191.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6 7

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) K 3 5
BB checks, Hero bets 2.7 BB, BB calls 2.7 BB

Turn: (11.9 BB, 2 players) 6
BB checks, Hero bets 4.4 BB, BB raises to 19.9 BB, Hero calls 15.5 BB

River: (51.7 BB, 2 players) K
BB bets 29.8 BB, fold

BB wins 49.2 BB

Thoughts:

Although he has that 0 FCB, we have a small smaple for hands, and betting on the flop gives us more opportunities turn. I bet less than half pot for this reason.

My question mainly is about the turn. Turn comes and I think we may be ahead of his flush draws and ace highs When he raises, it makes no sense to me. He is saying he has 55?

I figure he has a rag ace (A4) or maybe picked up a spade draw and called.

River looks like a value bet and I have no idea what he has now. We've represented a weak king/1 pair hand. If we have a king we aren't folding to this bet, so I figured he wasn't bluffing. He wouldn't play a king that way, unless it was maybe K5, K6 or something, which I guess is a possibility if he's playing 27% of hands.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) 76s is a loose open from UTG, even at a 5 handed table.
2) When taking shots, it's better to play a bit tighter than normal.
3) I think that cbetting that flop is fine. Calling his c/r on the turn I think is bad.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6-7s don't have good post flop gameplay from UTG. If you want to have a wide opening range you can use combinations combinations with overcard that can connect better on an x-board, for example A7s; A8s; +. On the flop the bet is acceptable, it could also be a little bigger to represent a value. On the turn you don't need to bet since your partner is strongly dominated by kickers. I agree that we should not call the line x / r. I think we had good intentions but now clearly we were defeated with our hand.
Greetings.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there, I am newbie, but I want to give you my humble opinion.

As the others said, open UTG with low suited connectors (like 76s) is a very loose move. If you do it, you should be very aware in the postflop strategy.

I think the CBET was fine in that flop. You have to always think what you gain with any bet. In the most of cases, CBET give us fold equity (to make the villain fold) or information.

He called your CBET in a very dry flop and he is a very loose player. So, for me, it's very likely that he has set to five, or maybe 2 pairs K5. Also, it's probable that he has 66-99.

In the turn, that XR is very likely that he has set five or six, that is a very standard move for a loose player. Slowplay in the flop and XR in the turn, or get the set in the turn and XR. Your 2nd barrier 1/3 por it's OK. But you should fold. You were playing and betting to test your opponent, bluffing, trying to win the post with the less chips required. So I don't think that call that XR would give you some advantage instead it puts you in a bad position.

Let me know if it helps you!

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, thanks all.

Man, I'm getting shamed for my open... :(

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Shot taking 10nl. At times seems easier than 5nl?!? Less 3-betting, etc. That's another topic though.

Villain is 27/16 over 46 hands... a 0 FCB.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 218.2 BB
Hero (UTG): 204.9 BB
CO: 100 BB
BTN: 176.9 BB
SB: 191.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6 7

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) K 3 5
BB checks, Hero bets 2.7 BB, BB calls 2.7 BB

Turn: (11.9 BB, 2 players) 6
BB checks, Hero bets 4.4 BB, BB raises to 19.9 BB, Hero calls 15.5 BB

River: (51.7 BB, 2 players) K
BB bets 29.8 BB, fold

BB wins 49.2 BB

Thoughts:

Although he has that 0 FCB, we have a small smaple for hands, and betting on the flop gives us more opportunities turn. I bet less than half pot for this reason.

My question mainly is about the turn. Turn comes and I think we may be ahead of his flush draws and ace highs When he raises, it makes no sense to me. He is saying he has 55?

I figure he has a rag ace (A4) or maybe picked up a spade draw and called.

River looks like a value bet and I have no idea what he has now. We've represented a weak king/1 pair hand. If we have a king we aren't folding to this bet, so I figured he wasn't bluffing. He wouldn't play a king that way, unless it was maybe K5, K6 or something, which I guess is a possibility if he's playing 27% of hands.

I believe you are playing a very beautiful and shopisticated game for a 10 NLHE level.
Opening 76s from UTG is something we don't usually do, because we know that even the regulars at the micros calls too much, pays too much, and defend too much in situation they could/should be folding.
I accept the fact that 76s is perhaps the bottom of our range to a 6-Max table, but I rather be opening those combos from 50 NLHE and higher stakes. Players are very weak so we have less fold equity plus more rake fee to pay at 10 NLHE than 50 NLHE, so we should try a more tight approach, specially out of position.
It is possible, but no likely that I would be raising 76s from UTG at 25 NLHE for example, knowing how much young regulars love to level when they have AA, AK and the sweet top of their range: they never fold, EVER, don't try to get yourself convinced with false propaganda: regulars at the micros-mid stakes are very weak, uncapable of folding certain scenarios, so we always go through them when we have them beat, because try to bluff regulars that will never fold because they are holding "AA, KK, AK" or "Two Pair, Set, Straights", because these weak regulars are always playings their HANDS, no their RANGES, thus they give us precious information about their patterns and we start to use GTO to exploit them.
However, this is not possible at 2, 5, 10, 16, 25 NLHE. Try to bluff weak players is the same of try to bluff a mad dog.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballlinamion' Barbosa

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the open is fine especially as the table is pretty deep.

The turn should be a check, you have a showdown value with a pair with the additional equity of a straight draw, betting really accomplishes nothing in this situation.

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't hate the open from UTG as much as others, but perhaps I'm trying to play too balanced for the micros and not just showing up with AQ+,TT+. I think the key here is not to be opening all suited connectors - do it with maybe 20/30% frequency to keep the table guessing but don't always do it.

Regarding the Cbet, I used to do the same in terms of having a high frequency, however as noted you're going to see calls with anything in the Micros. A better strategy I'm trying to adopt is to only Cbet with flops you connect with, either as a bluff or value - so middle or top pair, open ended straight draw, or flush draw. Gutshot draw with the king I'm probably checking. I know you're hoping to rep the king as it hits your range more but he's calling with anything and you won't know where you stand.

The check raise turn having called the flop cbet is an instant fold for me at this level.

I don't hate the hand and the Cbet, but you just have to let it go to turn raises which are almost always meaningful in Micro.