BB bets $0.36, Hero calls $0.36, CO folds

Turn: ($1.52) 3 (2 players)
BB bets $0.68, Hero raises to $1.61, BB calls $0.93

River: ($4.74) 9 (2 players)
BB bets $1.49, Hero raises to $9.03 (all-in), BB calls $7.54

Total pot: $22.80 (Rake: $1.03)

Showdown:
MP (Hero) shows J A (a pair of Fours)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 71%, Flop: 64%, Turn: 19%, River: 0%)

BB shows A 5 (a straight, Ace to Five)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 29%, Flop: 36%, Turn: 81%, River: 100%)

BB wins $21.77

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he called a raise on the turn and bet the river, I think you can give it up. If you had just called the turn, and he bet the river, then I'd consider raising. It's nice that you have the nut flush card of course, but that doesn't mean you should always bluff with it.

So what will his range be here if he calls the turn? Some mid pairs, sets, and flushes. There's not much else that makes sense, and when you break that range down, there's way more hands that will be calling than folding.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are you representing with min raise of turn? The villain is practically playing with the up cards. And he's telling you that on the turn he has trips of 4, or wheel straight. But you block the Ac, so there is also the possibility that he has some random flushes. So at this point it is reasonable to think that V has little fold equity in its range.
As we have position our play should call our entire range and evaluate on the river. But most of the time we don't need bluffs, because the villain won't give up. As played, the villain bet block and many people would think that this V would fold to a jam. But most likely he have a value formed on the flop or the turn.
Greetings.

Last edited:
J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its hard to comment on this hand because I think its a situation I would have never got myself in.
I think you kind of handed your stack to your opponent.
I think its very unlikely BB is leading out on the flop into two players with air, and its also unlikely that villain would lead out with a nutted hand and would rather opt for a check raise. This leaves his range to draws with equity that desire some FE and weak made hands that have little SDV also hoping also for some FE.
I would honestly just fold this as CO is left to act behind you who could easily have 55-JJ in his range.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was definitely a massive punt of a stack.

Any time a player donks into you on the river AFTER you raised him on the turn, you should believe that he has something that he likes.

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Notice on the river the villain bets so small indicating that he has a good hand that's trying to extract value from worst hands and trying to induce a bluff from missed draws like your hand. On the river the BB has almost no bluff there once he called the flop and turn then leads the river.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Your turn raise is stupid for many reasons:
1. You are not representing much. You don't have full house in your range and limited amount of straights. You shouldn't have a big raising range.
2. Your hand is too good to raise-fold. What if villain shoves over your raise? Would you be happy to fold A high flush draw with two overcards?
3. Your raise is too small. Villain has overpairs that you want to fold out, but your raise is small that villain won't fold a single value hand.

One of the worst punts I've seen in my life.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Your turn raise is stupid for many reasons:
1. You are not representing much. You don't have full house in your range and limited amount of straights. You shouldn't have a big raising range.
2. Your hand is too good to raise-fold. What if villain shoves over your raise? Would you be happy to fold A high flush draw with two overcards?
3. Your raise is too small. Villain has overpairs that you want to fold out, but your raise is small that villain won't fold a single value hand.

One of the worst punts I've seen in my life.

A little rude! But yea this right.

For OP- I'd go back to the flop. V donks mutliway... what types of hands does V does this move with?

Over pairs and draws. V never does this with a 4 or a house. You can play very exploitative here.

Since there is a player left to act behind you this becomes a fold. But Nut flush draw/ overpairs can be a raise OTF since you are always ahead of V and V is rarely folding. For that reason these one club hands can just be folded.

Once you start exploiting these types of players with their obvious bets/bet sizes you can print money. :D