$10 NLHE 6-max: Jacks versus 4 to Ace low straight

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did not have too much information on villain.

UTG(25$): Opens for 2.4BB
CO(14$): Calls
Hero BTN (Jd Jh) (11$): raises to 10BB
UTG: Calls
CO: Folds

Flop(Pot 24BB): 4c 5c 2d

Villain: C-bets 15bb
Hero: Calls

Turn (Pot 54BB): 4c 5c 2d 3h:
Villain: Bets 24BB
Hero: ???

Where did he hero **** up, and what should hero do?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard C-bet and also sizing, since there was a caller in between.

Flop
On this particular board its kind of unlikely, he can have anything, that beat you. 22-55, A3 or 54 would be a very loose call of your 3-bet, and QQ+ would usually 4-bet with a guy in between. I also think, a donk bet, like this is, tend to be a draw or a weak made hand far more often than a monster. So I think, you have the best hand the vast majority of the time, and for that reason I would raise with intentions to stack off, if he 3-bets. And if he just call, I would jam any turn card, thats not an A, a 3 or a club.

Turn
Thats one of those bad cards, I talked about, so now I would fold, when he continue firing. All his AX got there, and that was the majority of his bluffing range. So for him to have a bluff now, he would need to turn his 88 or 99 into a bluff, which seem pretty unlikely. Also you can have a lot of AX yourself, so its not like, he can bluff you to high heaven, because you fold an overpair now.

Conclusion
You ask, what you did wrong, and I dont think, you did anything really wrong. Personally I prefer raising the flop for the reasons, I already explained, but if you think, he is very bluffy and will continue firing a lot of turns, then just calling can also be fine. Ideally I would rather slowplay AA or KK, but if you want to just call with JJ, that certainly a +EV play and way better than folding. So most of all this was just a bad board runout for your hand, and if you had raised the flop, you would likely have ended up losing more.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with fundiver all the way. Stacking with an overpair on the flop is not even that bad because very little cards actually improve your hand on the turn, your hand is decent already, and because you're playing a 3-bet pot the stack to pot ratio is already smaller than normal (i.e. you risk less to win more).

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the responses. I see how reraising on the flop can be good, but I did think that calling kept him in the pot with all his bad hands as well. Ace or 3 on the turn was the only really bad cards for me, and kings and queens would also make this hand harder to play. Its a difficult hand to play, since I will have to call most barrels if a queen or king hits the flop, so I think you are correct in assuming it should be reraised. I don't block the flush draw either, so I guess nut flushes will for sure chase with a gutter on the side.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to make hands easier to play, and will therefore be happy 3 betting his flop bet and calling off a shove.

As played, that turn is one of the worst possible cards and you have to fold.

You didn't do anything wrong, and actually by folding, you're doing something very right.

Horrible cards will fall in poker, and the better players react accordingly.