$10 NLHE 6-max: How bad was this bluff?

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
V has a 3b: 20 over 70 hands, but unfortunately is a calling station. Seen him squeeze before, didnt get to the flop though. V's flatted 2 4bets so far. I prefer 4betting to flatting as HJ could call along.

River I'm trying to get TT, 99 to fold, maybe a weak jack. We dont have any flushes here, but KK for sure, AK as well.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 80 BB
SB: 89.8 BB
BB: 110 BB
Hero (UTG): 118.2 BB
MP: 120 BB
CO: 144 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: A:club:

Hero raises to 3.5 BB, MP calls 3.5 BB, CO raises to 11.7 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 26.5 BB, fold, CO calls 14.8 BB

Flop: (58 BB, 2 players) J:diamond: 2:spade: K:diamond:
Hero bets 18.5 BB, CO calls 18.5 BB

Turn: (95 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond:
Hero checks, CO checks

River: (95 BB, 2 players) 6:heart:
Hero bets 73.2 BB and is all-in, CO calls 73.2 BB

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Based on what you´ve said about him i don`t think the c-bet was the best of the choices. The J and the K were too much in his range and i don`t think he would have paid your 4-bet with an AJ so the hands in his range that qualified on the flop are JJ,AK,KK or AA. He could have a midlle pair and your C-bet would scare him but that`s the only kind of hands that your c-bet would make him fold.You didn`t post the result of the hand but i will bet that he had AA or made a set and you lost. Am i right?

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If villian is a calling station as you say then I dont really like your line here tbh, the flop likely connects pretty well with his 3bet/call range. And hes never folding a K or Jx draw.
If hes 3betting wide and then flatting your 4bets It may be just be better to play for stacks pre flop and realise your equity with the top of your linear range, also added FE do make him fold all his junk.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Based on what you´ve said about him i don`t think the c-bet was the best of the choices. The J and the K were too much in his range and i don`t think he would have paid your 4-bet with an AJ so the hands in his range that qualified on the flop are JJ,AK,KK or AA. He could have a midlle pair and your C-bet would scare him but that`s the only kind of hands that your c-bet would make him fold.You didn`t post the result of the hand but i will bet that he had AA or made a set and you lost. Am i right?

V had AJ with the Ace of diamonds.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wish you hadnt of made the post before this as no one will believe me now in that when I went through this hand and as soon as I saw villain check the turn behind I was thinking they must have the Ace of diamonds lol.

As far as the hand the goes, I really dont like 4 betting here. You have a hand that has strength but it is not a monster. You are playing against an opponent in your words who is a call station. Against these players you never have to make the pot big pre flop since you know they will call you down post flop. I would play this hand in a fashion where I would bet it big three streets if I hit it and if not then I would play fairly weakly and let it be. I know we do have to worry about the MP player here but I were to feel like my 4 bet is never going to induce a fold I would just call here and see a flop. It would be a rarity that MP player would call our raise initially and then now decide to 4 bet behind us.

On the flop playing it as just a call pre, I would be checking and then deciding on how to go forward depending on the sizing. As played I like your C bet although its never going to get a fold and the K or J could hit villain well. However, the bet does work as a blocker bet and we do have an overcard to the board, essentially a gutterball straight draw, and also backdoor to a strong but not nut flush. So I am fine with this if it is a bet that is being utilized as a blocking bet.

The turn is a bet against normal opponents, however against a station this becomes tough. I think I would check as you did and pray they check behind. Although like I said earlier, if they are checking behind there is a very good chance they have the Ace of diamonds and that is one less draw for us and takes away our ace overcard.

The river bet I completely disagree with. The draw did not get there, its not a scarecard. You probably did not 4 bet with 66 here so it is a relative blank. Therefore, you are bluffing on a blank card against a call station. That will rarely turn out well.