$10 NLHE 6-max: Flopping Broadway OOP... how to play?

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Feeling like I should bet turn... just wondering what we get value from.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 82 BB
SB: 119 BB
BB: 103.2 BB
UTG: 100 BB
Hero (MP): 100 BB
CO: 66.1 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:spade: K:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to 3.5 BB, CO calls 3.5 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (8.5 BB, 2 players) T:club: J:spade: Q:spade:
Hero bets 3.7 BB, CO calls 3.7 BB

Turn: (15.9 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond:
Hero checks, CO bets 7.9 BB, Hero calls 7.9 BB

River: (31.7 BB, 2 players) 5:club:
Hero bets 15.8 BB, CO calls 15.8 BB

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you necessary need to value bet on the turn here, based solely on action I'd say his range is something like weak Ax, mid and weak pairs and a few draws but probably no bluffs by the turn anymore. I just feel like he's going to fold most of these to any bet so I think as played you might be able to check/reraise on the turn and get a call that way (he could think you're bluffing at that point) but otherwise I think you played it right

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like pre flop and the bet on the flop sizing. I like going small here as you did on the flop since it will keep in some 10x hands and will also possibly get raises from certain types of villains who see all flop bets below half pot as weak bets. Since the villian only called here I dont think they have a set or two pair very often at all. I would feel very confident about my hand at this point since we do have the Ace of spades which also cuts down on villains two spade combos.

The turn card is great card in my opinion based on what I thought about the flop. I rarely if ever think that villain has 2 pair on the flop since they would have raised it on that wet of a board. In thinking this now there are many more hands that I can continue to get value from. Obviously a Qx hand that is not a boat is going nowhere that we can get value from but now also Jx and 10x hands feel more strongly since it is less likely we have a Queen. I would be betting here trying to get value from not only those hands but also from some of the spade hands that villain could have. Obviously we want no spade on the river but if there isnt one, we cant get anything from those hands after it misses but can extract some from them on the turn. I would bet half pot here or so thinking all Jx, 10x, 2 spades and any other random Kx hand will still call. Not impossible that you are going against a 98 suited hand either where you can get value.

The river as played is played well imo as villain will check behind a lot with one pair hands that have showdown value. Betting half pot or slightly less can easily induce a crying call. If you had bet the turn I would be betting the river and probably going a bit over half pot if villain had got to that point calling pre, and then calling two streets.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, I woukd make the bet on the flop bigger, you are betting less than 1/2 pot. Something like 5bb would be ok.
Then on the turn you seem worried that only hands that beat you may continue, but the right play is to bet, you can’t give the villian the chance to check back and give him a free card: there’s a flush draw, any Q, J, T are nasty cards. Theres chance for villian to improve. And also he may have hands you beat: AQ or KQ (not so likely since we are blocking combos, and AQ I expect the 3bet preflop but its still possible), K9s, Q9s, JT.

Now lets see the following scenario: imagine that he has you beat on the turn. Do you think he would reraise turn? With a ful boat he doesn’t need any protection and you are betting into him. He would likely reraise the river and then you fold. If you check, you won’t know if he is bluffing or he has it.
I don’t know if he would bluff the turn, those cards impact a lot on your opening range and there are flush draws, and straight draws.
Conclusion: I think the right play is to bet~60% of pot

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Villain is a weak player (starts hand with 66bb stack), therefore I would value-bet aggressively vs wider than normal ranges.

P: fine, 3x better.

F: cbet bigger to 75-100% pot for max value, also because we're OOP. Even 50-65% pot is better.

T: bet big again, we're only scared of TT QJs QTs that didn't play for stacks on the flop. We get value from 99 AQ AJ ATs KQ KJs KTs JTs T9s 98s, even though many of these combos are blocked.

As played, yes check/call.

R: as played, check/call vs reasonable bet I guess, but I wouldn't find myself in this spot. No need to lead, a lead range or lead dynamic is not necessary in micros.

We can't give up the betting initiative on the turn because we are OOP and it gives villain the chance to check-back to see a potentially bad river.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the pre-flop was well played and the flop was well played. I think a bet on the turn or check / raise would have resulted in the opponent folding, I think the hand was very well played maybe I would have made a higher bet on the river

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the turn you can get value from so many hands. The IP player should call with all flush draws, plus a lot of his pairs should have a straight draw which should call as well.
All qx should call too.
Although checking the turn could be employed at some frequency, you want to be betting with a hand as strong as a straight in this situation.

Save your check calls for overpairs, weaker pairs plus flush/straight draws.

I also like betting larger on the flop as it is very wet, as some of our made hands are vulnerable and can diminish in value quickly on bad run outs .