Chips
Call 3bet .. check raise flop and shove turn

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am saying that just because it's +EV to call off in a particular situation doesn't mean that it cant be even more profitable to fold it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I know what you want to say here but I also see why the other guy is having trouble digesting it. Folding can't be more profitable than a +EV call. Folding is 0EV. If a set miner makes a -EV call preflop and hits on you then you're certainly not obligated to pay them off, but if folding was in fact the best play in that situation then calling would have to be a mistake. Folding and calling cannot both be profitable let alone correct in the same spot.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know what you want to say here but I also see why the other guy is having trouble digesting it. Folding can't be more profitable than a +EV call. Folding is 0EV. If a set miner makes a -EV call preflop and hits on you then you're certainly not obligated to pay them off, but if folding was in fact the best play in that situation then calling would have to be a mistake. Folding and calling cannot both be profitable let alone correct in the same spot.

I guess I worded it wrongly but you know what I meant. If someone makes a -EV call to set mine we can just stack off there and it would be alright.

However if we happen to have a really good read on our opponent and we know we are down to 2 outs then we can also fold. When we talk about having a read the maths equation is not the only right thing to do. However I will agree that in online poker its kinda hard to develop such sure shot reads but in live poker you really can against some particularly weak players.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stats or a read would be nice here but it is pretty standard to defend against a button 3 bet here and I am not getting it in preflop with 1010 unless I have a solid read they are 3 betting a ton over a decent sample size. Call and play poker. We are not just set mining here, we have a playable hand. Even against a standard 3 bet range we have 35% equity and we need 30% to call. I would assume that villain is adding 3 bet bluffs into his range on the button vs your late position open so we probably have closer to 40% equity.

As for the extracting value part, I like the call on this dry flop when we flop the world and I am never donking the turn since I am probably hoping to check/jam turn. When he checks turn I am leading river for about 30% hoping he makes a crying call with a hand like 99 or AK. Leading 30% on river may look weak and some villains may spaz here a small % of the time and raise as a bluff or maybe even for value with AA thinking you have a scared JJ/QQ.

FWIW at 10NL an exploitative strategy is much better then a GTO strategy since players usually have a lot more leaks. Also, if villain plays AA like this you should note it and almost never pay off his river bets since his river value range is so tight.