$10 NLHE 6-max: Double barrel with draw?

T

TLRoyalFlush

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

SB: 163.1 BB
BB: 51.9 BB
UTG: 216.1 BB
Hero (CO): 103.5 BB
BTN: 88.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:heart: T:heart:

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 9:club: J:diamond: 6:spade:
Hero bets 4.9 BB, BTN calls 4.9 BB

Turn: (17.3 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
Hero bets 5 BB, BTN calls 5 BB

River: (27.3 BB, 2 players) 5:heart:
Hero checks, BTN checks

Hero shows Q:heart: T:heart: (High Card, Queen)
(Pre 75%, Flop 89%, Turn 25%)
BTN shows 7:spade: T:club: (One Pair, Sevens)
(Pre 25%, Flop 11%, Turn 75%)
BTN wins 26 BB

Would it make sense to barrel the turn here? Feels like all connectors / one gappers / mid pairs wouldn't be folding to a turn bet, but my small bet was just with the hopes to see a river card cheaply. What would be the best play in this spot?

Would a line of double barrell and bet large on river if a blank comes or check fold to a dangerous card be best ?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

SB: 163.1 BB
BB: 51.9 BB
UTG: 216.1 BB
Hero (CO): 103.5 BB
BTN: 88.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q T

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 9 J 6
Hero bets 4.9 BB, BTN calls 4.9 BB

Turn: (17.3 BB, 2 players) 7
Hero bets 5 BB, BTN calls 5 BB

River: (27.3 BB, 2 players) 5
Hero checks, BTN checks

Hero shows Q T (High Card, Queen)
(Pre 75%, Flop 89%, Turn 25%)
BTN shows 7 T (One Pair, Sevens)
(Pre 25%, Flop 11%, Turn 75%)
BTN wins 26 BB

Would it make sense to barrel the turn here? Feels like all connectors / one gappers / mid pairs wouldn't be folding to a turn bet, but my small bet was just with the hopes to see a river card cheaply. What would be the best play in this spot?

Would a line of double barrell and bet large on river if a blank comes or check fold to a dangerous card be best ?

Thank U 4 Posting

We can start to build our plan with these type of hands before we even get to the table so that we know how to play most effectively in real time. I will use the exact hands for this example but we should have a plan with our range of drawing hands in spots like these.

Step 1 Hand strength analysis preflop

We hold a drawing hand with high card value. QhTh
Our raise is called and we are OOP.
Can we take AA-1010 out of Villain's range?
V's calling range can include hands that dominate us preflop even if they do not have the above pairs.
How likely is our holding to dominate V's calling range?
As we are more likely to miss the flop than hit it we could assume to win the hand we will need to get our V to fold. What strategies to get folds need we employ versus this player pool?

Step 2 Flop

We have a draw, we want to have an estimated V range on boards like this.
What is the standard V range here in your player pool?

Take the time off the table to create this potential range.
AJ? KJ-QJ-J10? 88? 107 etc.

How often does a board like this hit that range? Seldom? -Often?
How often do your V fold to 1 bet on a board they hit often?
How often do they fold to 2 bets?
How often to 3?

When we have the answers to the above questions we can know if we are going to semi bluff- then we have to know if we bluff turn we must be prepared to bluff river at some frequency. What frequency is what matters

Knowing we may be bluffing 3 streets we need to use bet sizing that will help us get that river fold.

So we would use a progressively larger bet sizing on each street in order to get more folds on the river.
That requires us to not bet as big on the flop so that we do not have to bet stacks on the river unless that is the only way to get a fold. If that is the case then we have to embrace the variance but also go max value on our nut hands as well. Again have this plan before you play do not decide on the turn it has to start with the flop bet.

Ok well this is a lot to think about and do so no need to go further in the hand at this point.

By having a strong plan with draw type hands and knowing V range decisions preflop -flop turn and river prior to board runouts we can then take the most EV+ actions based on the board runout and player tendencies.

Hope this helps
:):)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you are going to barrel the turn (and I think your sizing was too small), I do think that following through with a bet on the river would have been better than checking.

You would have told a believable story by betting strongly on all streets, and he may well have folded his weak hand.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it makes a lot off sence since iff you have 99 or TT you would like to bet turn,my question is, with a set or doubles like 9T you bet so small turn(nearly 1/4 pot)? You have to valance your strong hands that waths to 3ple barrel here with some bluffes,as much value hands you put in 3ple barrel you have to put extra bluffes,i think you have a very good hand to bluff with. You could bet 1/3 flop or 3/4(bouth ok),turn you have to bet big pot or overpot,no one is folding anypair at that size and them in river i push wath ever the card is,i guees that is wath you wanth to do with a monster hand right?
Another question,why cheking river? do you chek a set river and give the chance off him check back? You have to think about all off this and take the line wish is best for your rangue,not your specific hand.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting

We can start to build our plan with these type of hands before we even get to the table so that we know how to play most effectively in real time. I will use the exact hands for this example but we should have a plan with our range of drawing hands in spots like these.

Step 1 Hand strength analysis preflop

We hold a drawing hand with high card value. QhTh
Our raise is called and we are OOP.
Can we take AA-1010 out of Villain's range?
V's calling range can include hands that dominate us preflop even if they do not have the above pairs.
How likely is our holding to dominate V's calling range?
As we are more likely to miss the flop than hit it we could assume to win the hand we will need to get our V to fold. What strategies to get folds need we employ versus this player pool?

Step 2 Flop

We have a draw, we want to have an estimated V range on boards like this.
What is the standard V range here in your player pool?

Take the time off the table to create this potential range.
AJ? KJ-QJ-J10? 88? 107 etc.

How often does a board like this hit that range? Seldom? -Often?
How often do your V fold to 1 bet on a board they hit often?
How often do they fold to 2 bets?
How often to 3?

When we have the answers to the above questions we can know if we are going to semi bluff- then we have to know if we bluff turn we must be prepared to bluff river at some frequency. What frequency is what matters

Knowing we may be bluffing 3 streets we need to use bet sizing that will help us get that river fold.

So we would use a progressively larger bet sizing on each street in order to get more folds on the river.
That requires us to not bet as big on the flop so that we do not have to bet stacks on the river unless that is the only way to get a fold. If that is the case then we have to embrace the variance but also go max value on our nut hands as well. Again have this plan before you play do not decide on the turn it has to start with the flop bet.

Ok well this is a lot to think about and do so no need to go further in the hand at this point.

By having a strong plan with draw type hands and knowing V range decisions preflop -flop turn and river prior to board runouts we can then take the most EV+ actions based on the board runout and player tendencies.

Hope this helps
:):)
Excelent, first off all,when yu wanth to climb some stakes you have to take a time off tables and build your strategies stop for stop in at least 18 diferent boards,them you have an idea when you have your hand in wish way you will play it acording to flop.