$10 NLHE 6-max: Check folding set on river

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raise from CO with 99. Everybody calls. 4way flop.

79T with 2 spades.

Checked to me. I cbet pot. BB and BTN call.

Turn's 4d.

I bet pot again. This time only BTN calls.

The river is the worst possible card for me, the 8s.

I checked. He bets pot. I fold.

I doubt the BTN, who is not a good player, would call two pot sized bet to float me in hopes of a scare card with which to river bluff me. Lately my sets haven't held up, so I was extra pissed in this hand.

Should I have thrown out a blocker bet?

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
good fold, too obvious, most of the time he is not bluffing there nothing we can do

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very interesting hand, but some data is missing for an exact description of the sequence you played.
Particularly on a wet texture like this, I'm happy to fold the flopped bottom set, not the second best set. But this is a very superficial assessment, since I do not know the specific texture of the board, and the players profile with whom you dueled.
In relation to the barrels you chose, it seems reasonable to me when facing sticky players (who don't give up easily).
You are also defending your hand and printing maximum value. Naturally you should continue playing against a raise that could be made by some villain.
On the river on first impression, villain's donk pot bet denotes strong value most of the time, so it's completely acceptable to make an exploitative fold here.
However, any additional information you can gather from V could change the course of your decision and specifically make a defense here.
Keep in mind that if V is a more thoughtful player, he may sense that the river card doesn't favor your range at all. And that any premium overpair (AA and KK) would suffer too much to make an OTR hero call. So here you would be unlocking 2-pair combinations like 78s and T8s, which could eventually be used as bluffs on the river.
Greetings.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are some things I would want to know about the hand. One is which card on the flop is the non spade card? It does play a role as if the 10 is the non-spade card then villain can have all broadway hands with a 10 in them that are suited spades where they wont fold easily. If the 7 is the non-spade card then there are fewer pair and flush draw hands since the 10 would block the 10x hands that are more likely than 7x hands. Second thing I would want to know is what was your pre flop raise sizing, 30 or 40 cents (or something else)? What is the effective stack in the hand? These play a role in your turn bet sizing decision.

I am going to assume you pre flop raises to 30 cents. That makes pot $1.20 going to flop and $4.80 going to the turn. If the effective stack was below 100 BBs to start the hand (say 85 ish for whatever reason) then the turn becomes a pot of $4.80 with an effective stack of $7. If your plans were to bet pot at that point I would just put it in (that is probably my tourney side speaking there but I would still put it in with all the draws out there). If it was 100 BBs to start the hand then its more like $8.50 with a pot of $4.80 which to me then I would not full pot. I would either bet like 2.80 and jam the rivers I like or I would dump it again since we are putting in half our chips (again, I know the tourney side of me speaking in a cash game hand but just writing what I am feeling for this spot). If effective stack is over 100 BBs to start then potting turn is fine.

In the end the river is bad and my guess would be the flush got there since they called two potters flop and turn. Folding was your best option. I dont think you should lead there unless you are putting it all in which in this spot would be turning our set into a bluff which I dont like. This is a check and pray for a check behind spot. I believe you made the right move on the river.

Folding in Poker