$10 NLHE 6-max: 3 Bet JJ two overcards on flop

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain stats: 30/17/2.4, Fold to 3 Bet 70, 4 Bet ratio 1.3 . Folds about 60% on the flop, slightly less in position. Very low aggression stats on turn and river. (406 hands)

(SB was unknown, but looked loose and bad after only 13 hands.)

Interested in thoughts against this specific opponents in this spot.

I generally like to bet & fight for pots because people overfold in this SNAP pool. Here though I gave up sfter the flop and don't feel too bad about it. It is a good river for him to bluff, but I think he can be value betting often with his tendencies to be passive often rather than agro.

Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 95.8 BB
SB: 72.6 BB
Hero (BB): 173.7 BB
UTG: 107.3 BB
MP: 212.3 BB
CO: 64 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J J

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, Hero raises to 12 BB, CO calls 9 BB, fold

Flop: (27 BB, 2 players) 5 A Q
Hero bets 10.2 BB, CO calls 10.2 BB

Turn: (47.4 BB, 2 players) 3
Hero checks, CO checks

River: (47.4 BB, 2 players) 2
Hero checks, CO bets 41 BB, fold

CO wins 45.1 BB

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also lean towards a fold here. Because even if this is a good bluffing spot for your opponent, he has very few hands that like to bluff here (and your JJ additionally blocks some KJ, JT combinations) and I don't think he turns lower pairs than JJ into a bluff here very often.

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We will want some checks on this flop and I think JJ makes a good one. There are not many hands we can get value from, and a lot of his likely diamond draws and straight draws are blocked so we don't need very much protection. If it checks down to later streets then we can go for value bets against his underpairs.

The flop was good for our range but unfortunately bad for our hand. Combine this with being OOP and I would expect to be giving up this pot a lot against any pressure from villain.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I like a little big 3 bet there with an over caller when we are in the blinds. I'd go 5x there to 15 BBs to more ensure that we will be playing this hand heads up more often.

On the flop in game I know I would be checking some of the time and betting some of the time depending on what I thought of opponents, what they think of me, how often do they fold to c bets, etc. but in having the time to think about it I like checking this flop here. I dont often 3 bet pre and then check on the flop but here I might be able to get villain to believe I am slowplaying a set even though there is two diamonds on the board (not the best play in practice but that doesnt mean villain doesnt believe its possible). Once I check, with two diamonds on the board, villain has to tell me what they have based on their action. I highly doubt they would check behind with an ace here being its a draw board so when they bet it could be a bluff but I could also fold based on sizing knowing there are two overs on the board.

If we got to the turn (meaning villains checked behind) I would then bet something like 16 BBs into the 27 BB pot and trying to rep that slow played hand that now has to go since there is a double flush draw on the board. That play would cost you 6 more BBs then how you played the hand (which I dont think you played it badly). That is a bit of a FPS play but it can be successful and lets us see how villain reacts to the board on the flop.

As played on the turn I think its a check and I would be prepared to fold the turn based on what I thought about villain (loose vs tight). When villain checks behind I would not think they are on an ace there unless they specifically have Ax diamonds (which is very possible).

River is interesting but again with the thinking that I have above which is villain is not on an ace unless it is Ax diamonds I have to choose do I want to bluff and target Qx? I think you could do that but in the long run you will lose money betting here since the way we played the hand looks like a flush draw a bit and the way villain played the hand up to river looks like a flush draw a bit so I believe too often we will be running into it and its best to check fold.

E

Endwarfin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like leading the flop, I also like leading it at about 1/3 pot like you chose.
The fact that he called means im putting him on 1 pair or a flush draw. (IDK how often you C-Bet A flops)

Checking the turn is great id be planning to check call about a 1/2 pet bot.

When the river completes the flush, the only hands we beat when bet into - an opponent who floated the flop with the plan to bluff represent a flush.

Good fold.

Prince Mantis

Prince Mantis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good example. I like the way you played this hand. Your opponent plays postflop face up, so good FCB and good check on the turn. Folding to much to 3bet very low 4bet ratio, well played.