$10 NL HE 6-max: Which of These Did I Play Worse?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Just logged in and sat down at 2 tables. These happened almost simultaneously within three hands at each table. Which one of these did I play worse?

Table 1:

TsTd on BTN.

HJ opens to 30c. I call. SB calls.

9hJhTc on flop. Checked around to me.

I bet pot 93c into 93c rake adjusted pot. SB folds HJ min raises... Weird... but I call. First time playing with this guy. No reads.

Turn is 3s. HJ checks. I thought about checking but ended up betting 2/3 pot. He shoves. Should I have checked here?

I only have about $5 left, so I am calling off $5 to win like $14 that's in the pot. (Rake adjusted) He's probably not taking this line with a big PPm and I don't think he would check that flop with JJ so I had a bad feeling he probably has KQ, but I still can make a FH so I called.
KsQc

Hand two, AhTs on SB. Folded around to me. I open to 28c. BB calls. I have him marked as a calling station.

Ac6s9h flop. I bet 39c, about 2/3 pot. He calls.

Turn is 7h. I bet 2/3 pot again. River is 8h which gives me a str but also completes a possible flush though I am not feeling particularly concerned about the flush. I bet $2.40 and he shoves.

This isn't a bluff I know that. I have $6.15 left... But does he really have a flush? What two hearts could he have that he would call me down like this? 6h5h? Could he have TJ? Would he really just call the flop with nothing? At the last second I called like a mark, feeling like he has something like T9...

JhTh. Dude's a station. I should not have eliminated the possibility.

Shame on me. I couldn't fold either one. I felt neither one was a bluff but I still called.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Should I have checked here?
You should've raised preflop in the first place. Calling with TT in a situation like this will lead to scenarios like the example you mentioned.
Consider that you hit a set but your current hand isn't that strong for this particular type of board. Try to play more passive in situations like this and yes, you should've checked.
I bet $2.40 and he shoves.
You are not considering the board but the absolute strength of your hand, as you said it completed a flush but you weren't worried about it...you should be worried as the same of the past hand where you hit a set where completed a straight. You create scenarios where you create an excuse for yourself for not to fold and sometimes you are right but most of times you are wrong with these guessings.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not making excuses. I know i played the hands poorly. I am just going thru my thinking process and why i had a hard time putting him on two hearts due to flop texture and subsequent action.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The first one was worse. At least with the second you had a reasonable bluff catcher with the nut flush blocker.

Both hands you overplayed a good but non premium hand. Just check the turn!!

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I am not making excuses. I know i played the hands poorly. I am just going thru my thinking process and why i had a hard time putting him on two hearts due to flop texture and subsequent action.
Sorry that I haven't said anything to please your ego. My point is through the scientific method, in other words, I seek the truth no matter if it's going to please the OP or not.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JhTh. Dude's a station. I should not have eliminated the possibility.

Why is he a station?

His hand has so much equity at every decision point.

He also could have had JTo or T8h or any of the combos with bdfd bdsd and have been calling flop and turn while he's In Position.

He should be calling with more than just made hands on the flop, even to your large sizing. (Use small sizings on the flop SBvBB move villains won't be able to defend their large range adequately even IP)

On different run outs he should even have a lot of pair and a draw that get stronger on different turns that we probably don't bet flop for this size.

We can probably check river, might be able to block bet but I don't think we can bet larger and then call off. We really only have a bluff catcher when villain wants to play for all the cookies and I wouldn't give too many players at 10NL the credit to be able to make a bluff like this, at least anywhere near often enough to make calling profitable.

It kind of looks like you're struggling with overall hand strength vs relative hand strength in some situations. Equities shift radically by the river, even for made hands even though you have a straight, on this board after this action sequence this is bottom of your range. AhJx might even make a better call as it's more likely they will have a bluff if you block the Nut Flush and the 2 card straight combos. Villain jamming here with only a T high straight like you have is probably torching on his end, I would fold in this spot and wait until you have JT or a flush.

Super lame you ran into a Straight Flush tho, would have ended up paying him even if you had a hand strong enough to call.