$10 NL HE 6-max: Passive Line on Wet Board, Ok?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
I have ThTd on UTG. Open to 30c. I get 3 callers: BTN and both blinds.

6c4s7s flop. SB leads out with 56c bet into $1.12 pot (rake adjusted). BB folds. I thought about it and just called. BTN folds.

Turn is Ts which gives me a set but also completes a possible flush. He bets again half pot. $1.08 into $2.16.

I called again.

Turn is 3s, making 4 spades on the board and also makes 4 to a straight.

He checks.

I put him on a 7 or a set. I thought about betting but decided to check.

Too passive?

7cJc

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The question is what kind of bet will be called by a worse hand on that board. And what do you do when you get check-raised instead? For those reasons I don't mind just checking this back and taking the safe way out. There are much better spots to extract value.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turn completes straights as well. River is close. I don't mind an over bet. There's some issues as you're only repping AsJs+, but that's probably not an issue at this level. Any time your opponent bets/bets, and then gives up on a super scary river, they are open to being bluffed. If it was x/c on any street, then it's different and their chances of checking to induce widen a lot.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's too thin to bet river, so fine to check. You cant really raise flop or turn either.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open although most people use 2,5BB sizing in online cash games these days. 3BB still work in soft games.

Flop
Even though you flopped an overpair, this is not a great flop for TT in a multiway pot. Its super connected with flopped straights and many two pair, all of which of course beat your TT. Its also fairly strong action, that SB lead out into 3 opponents. Is he really doing this with A7 or with 88-99? Maybe if he is bad, but I kind of feel, your hand is almost a bluff catcher already, and you have one more guy left to act behind you. So I almost want to fold here, and I am certainly never in a million years raising.

Turn
Spades and 98 got there, but at least you now beat the flopped sets and two pair, and you have 10 outs against a straight or flush. So definitely not folding now, but also not raising, and I kind of want to see the board pair on the river.

River
If you bet now with 4 cards to a straight and flush, you are turning your hand into a bluff as suggested by John A. Personally I check back here, because I think, he has a decent amount of worse sets and two pair, which you will win against at showdown, but no worse hand is ever going to call a bet, unless you make it incredibly small.

Spoiler
It does seem like, you are being a little results oriented in many of the hands, you post. If for instance the opponent had flipped over 85s for a flopped straight, would you also have asked, if you played to passively? You got two streets of value from a very bad made hand in a multiway pot, and this is a fine result already.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have ThTd on UTG. Open to 30c. I get 3 callers: BTN and both blinds.
3 callers is a nightmare on earth. Terrible spot even when we hit a set on the flop.
6c4s7s flop. SB leads out with 56c bet into $1.12 pot (rake adjusted). BB folds. I thought about it and just called. BTN folds.
SB might have some semi-bluffs such as flush draws but also some values that requires protection such as 66, 77 and 44. Maybe 76s, but I don't think so.
Turn is Ts which gives me a set but also completes a possible flush. He bets again half pot. $1.08 into $2.16.

I called again.
I would do the same, but not liking this call at since we own no spades on our range.
Turn is 3s, making 4 spades on the board and also makes 4 to a straight.

He checks.

I put him on a 7 or a set. I thought about betting but decided to check.

Too passive?
It doesn't make any sense to bet here once he can fold any hand that is worse and call only with flushes. Your line is correct.

S

SrMartis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
In a spot like that I probably check back as well...

You got 2 steets of value and win the hand so it's fine, and if you lose sometimes you'll lose less.

Imagine if you bet in the river and this guy thinking his top pair is strong he raises you ?

Without knowing he puts you in a very bad spot.

Or If you raise it's an easy fold for him so the results could be same as you checked, but with a lote more risk.