Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
I have 77 on BB. CO limps, SB limps, and I check.

Flop comes 447.

Check, check, check. With a FH I am just hoping one or both of them will catch something on the turn,

But the turn is another 4. Ok. So now I don't have the nuts anymore, but I still beat anything by a 4.

I bet 18c into the 30c pot.

Call call.

River is a K. SB leads out with a 56c bet into the 84c pot. I decide to min raise since I still beat everything but KK and a 4. And KK is not likely. I am putting him on a K here and if there wasn't another player to act behind me I would have raised more. The player to act is a reg, so chances are he is unlikely to open limp with a 4 but I still felt uneasy. He's normally not the type to chase.

Well, he shoves lol. SB insta calls around $8 and is all in.

I'd be calling about $11 into the pot that's now about $20 and I am only losing to a 4 since kk is highly unlikely.

Like I mentioned though, CO isn't the type to chase, and he sure isn't the type to put it all in unnecessarily, especially after two bets. Do they both only have a K? My 77 is very well hidden so do they think a K is the nuts?

I decided to fold.

How would you have played differently? I suppose I could have raised preflop, but I don't like inflating the pot with a small pp oop. I find it hard to play because I will miss the flop most the time and I am OOP. I prefer to set mine.

CO had 43os. He hit a one outer. SB did have a K. Not long after this hand CO cleaned me out when he flopped a str vs. my set of Qs. He had the nuts on the flop and I had the 2nd nuts. It went all in. It was his night.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
You could raise here, but unless you have seen CO limp-fold, you would just be playing a bigger pot OOP with a hand, that pretty tough to play, unless you flop a set. So I am on board with taking a free flop here.

Flop
Slowplaying is fine here. If someone has a 4, you will get action later, and if they dont, they get a chance to catch up or bluff.

Turn
As you say not the greatest card. Not only because you now lose to 4X but also because it did not allow someone to catch up. I am ok betting here, but I would go small, since you are trying to get called by hands as weak as A high.

River
I dont think, your hand is strong enough to raise here, so I would just call this lead. Which by the way is pretty weird. And when they both get it in, its a snap fold. Maybe you have the best hand here like 1 in 100 times.

Results
So CO had the 4. I dont think, you did anything really wrong other than raising the river. I would also take a note, that SB overcalled the turn with just K high and then stacked off facing a raise and a jam, when he lead the river. Definitely someone, I would like to play with again :)

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the OTT protection bets a little smaller. Anything below 1/2 pot would be a little more depolarizing and would help your range.
I understand that you are losing a lot of value at the table, that is why I prefer go the money preflop. We have already seen that these guys can have any possible combination. And I would opt for a raise to approximately 6x. If we limp we can change the postflop strategy.
But passive players tend to be cautious when the boards are dry, so on this flop you want to have a check range. If it were a little more connected, you could donk bet with some frequency.
The river is bad for your range. When SB leads he is yelling that he has a K. (This becomes more likely as your turn bet is big in size). Min raise doesn't have much importance in this sequence, when there is one player left to speak. Here the most accurate move would have been to fold, but the most understandable one is to call, assuming that SB still has some bluffs in his range (honestly very unlikely) and that CO would get out of the way with all that action.
As played was an easy fold when you saw your rivals' intention.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here the most accurate move would have been to fold, but the most understandable one is to call, assuming that SB still has some bluffs in his range (honestly very unlikely) and that CO would get out of the way with all that action.
77 beat KX on the river having 77744, which is a better boat than 444KK. So surely this is never a fold?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a raise is fine here to get value against a k, which is what sb more likely has since theres only one 4. Once CO, who is not a dummy, shoved, then it was time to give up the effective second nuts. Again, kk highly unlikely. We lose only to the 4.

CO was simply in god mode in light of what happened shortly after this hand, as noted in the spoiler.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a raise is fine here to get value against a k, which is what sb more likely has since theres only one 4.
The thing is, SB should never have a K, because he overcalled on the turn OOP. So if I was in your situation, I would be very confused by him leading the river. But apparently SB is a really bad player, and if you had that read, then raising the river is fine. But I would not min-raise then. As you saw, he was willing to call way more with top boat. So I would at least go 2/3 pot and probably call it off, if he 3-bet jammed.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
77 beat KX on the river having 77744, which is a better boat than 444KK. So surely this is never a fold?
I see I got lost on the board. Then I wouldn't have min raised, I would have gone bigger if I bet. And if CO jams and continues SB, I might think that some V maybe made quads of 4. It's also not impossible, since if someone has 43off they could have all the combos available: A4, K4, Q4, 54. But anyway, I think if I raised more than 3x I would be calling it the same.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a raise is fine here to get value against a k, which is what sb more likely has since theres only one 4. Once CO, who is not a dummy, shoved, then it was time to give up the effective second nuts. Again, kk highly unlikely. We lose only to the 4.

CO was simply in god mode in light of what happened shortly after this hand, as noted in the spoiler.
In terms of results you lost the minimum. And if you had checked and both opponents go all in, can you ever beat these guys?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have 77 on BB. CO limps, SB limps, and I check.

Flop comes 447.

Check, check, check. With a FH I am just hoping one or both of them will catch something on the turn,

But the turn is another 4. Ok. So now I don't have the nuts anymore, but I still beat anything by a 4.

I bet 18c into the 30c pot.

Call call.

River is a K. SB leads out with a 56c bet into the 84c pot. I decide to min raise since I still beat everything but KK and a 4. And KK is not likely. I am putting him on a K here and if there wasn't another player to act behind me I would have raised more. The player to act is a reg, so chances are he is unlikely to open limp with a 4 but I still felt uneasy. He's normally not the type to chase.

Well, he shoves lol. SB insta calls around $8 and is all in.

I'd be calling about $11 into the pot that's now about $20 and I am only losing to a 4 since kk is highly unlikely.

Like I mentioned though, CO isn't the type to chase, and he sure isn't the type to put it all in unnecessarily, especially after two bets. Do they both only have a K? My 77 is very well hidden so do they think a K is the nuts?

I decided to fold.

How would you have played differently? I suppose I could have raised preflop, but I don't like inflating the pot with a small pp oop. I find it hard to play because I will miss the flop most the time and I am OOP. I prefer to set mine.

CO had 43os. He hit a one outer. SB did have a K. Not long after this hand CO cleaned me out when he flopped a str vs. my set of Qs. He had the nuts on the flop and I had the 2nd nuts. It went all in. It was his night.
My general strategy to play checked pots from the BB is to play more passive than usual. I would check and call much more than if I had raised. I would've raised preflop, our hand has a good equity to play postflop.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing is, SB should never have a K, because he overcalled on the turn OOP. So if I was in your situation, I would be very confused by him leading the river. But apparently SB is a really bad player, and if you had that read, then raising the river is fine. But I would not min-raise then. As you saw, he was willing to call way more with top boat. So I would at least go 2/3 pot and probably call it off, if he 3-bet jammed.
My thinking at the time, in the 10 seconds that BOL allows, is that I was kinda worried about CO sticking around cuz he is the kind of guy who wouldn't be chasing in that spot. So between the 2 players, I was more worried he's the one with the 4. I decided to min raise sb in case CO raised, or as he did, jammed. If CO folded and SB then came over the top, I would have called.

Yes, SB is a bad player. Very bad in fact.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nah, one of them definitely has a 4. CO could easily be A4 suited. SB could be ANYTHING. Of course, CO could be anything too, for all we know they are a donkey. You were beat.