$10 NL HE 6-max: Flopped a straight but...

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
A bit of background, prior to this hand, ran into several coolers and overall having a rough day. I think it let what happened before cloud my decision. But, in prior hands, they DID have it.

First hand at a new table against mostly players whose IDs I don't recognize.

Ts8h on BB. 3 limpers, I check. 4 way flop.

9sJhQc I flopped a straight.

I bet 32c into 36c pot (rake adjusted). CO calls and BTN calls. SB folds.

Turn's the Th... Pretty much only scared of a T and a T I get. Same thing has been happening all day. Mentally I am thinking I got beat again.

I check. Should I bet here and hope they fold? I mean if I bet here and get called, I am still in the same situation on the river.

CO checks, and BTN bets half pot.

I have no reads against this guy. First ever hand against him.

I decided to fold to move to the next fight. CO also folds.

Incredibly weak on my part?

Should I just call turn and hope river gets checked down?

I definitely let the negativity I was feeling from a string of unlucky run outs influence my decision here.
-------

After subsequent hands at the table, I think it's 50-50 that the BTN was just betting when he shouldn't. Seems like the guy of guy who would bet a pair in that spot. If I had that info before the hand I probably would have called at least the turn bet.

But if you had no read at all, in that spot what would you do?

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The probability of a full is possible of the villain, you lacked hands to play against him to find out, it could be bluffing or I was waiting for a higher ladder and I was controlling the pot. 50-50, possibly I would retire too, but press with that hand that you had me all in without hesitation and pray!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
No reason to raise such a bad hand, so taking a free flop is perfect.

Flop
Leading is fine, and if you are going to lead, I like a big sizing. There are many hands, that caught a piece of this board, and the pot is very small, because they limped. The other option is to go for a check-raise.

Turn
As you already know, the T was a death card, since there are now 4 to a straight, and you have the dummy end. Its definitely a check and evaluate spot. CO check as well, and now BTN bet half pot. I think, its close. He could be bluffing, because you both showed weakness by checking to him. But its not that easy to find the bluffs, since he needed to have something to call your big flop bet, after another guy had called already. But he did limp, so he is probably not the best of all players, and sometimes he could be betting two pair for no reason. So I lean towards a call here, but I dont think, your fold was terrible. If you call, you are mainly hoping, that the river goes check-check.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just want to add, that from a theoretical point of view check-folding an 8 is extremely exploitable, unless you also sometimes check a K. If BTN can bet half pot when checked to and get both opponents to fold their entire range, because they are never checking a K, and they dont want to call without a K, then he is completely freerolling both of you by betting. How important this is in a limped pot played at 10NL is up for debate. But it is at least something to keep in mind, if you are trying to play a somewhat fundamentally sound game.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes indeed, very exploitable. Against a guy who I had zero history with I just didn't know what to do. Had been running into big hands all day so that affected my decision. I know that's bad.

Had almost the exact same scenario happen to me today again.

This time I had 46os on BB in another 4way limped pot. I checked and flop a str on 357 board with two diamonds. I led out big again and all three called. Turn's a diamond T and I checked. CO (second to last to act) bet a bit under half pot. I called, the other two folded. Then I checked a non diamond, non pairing river. He bets pot.

I shook my head and folded. Maybe he was betting the turn with AdX and bluffed at it since I seemed weak, but with 3 guys calling the flop, one of them is likely to have a flush draw. Villain definitely a bad player but not particularly bluffy so I figured he probably had it and folded to battle him another time.

Last two days been running into a ton of coolers. Perhaps it's making me overfold. Gonna take a break and reset.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes indeed, very exploitable.
At least if you are never checking a K. Part of being balanced is also to have very strong hands in your checking range, so that you are not always capped, just because you checked.
Had been running into big hands all day so that affected my decision. I know that's bad.
It is.
Had almost the exact same scenario happen to me today again.

This time I had 46os on BB in another 4way limped pot. I checked and flop a str on 357 board with two diamonds. I led out big again and all three called. Turn's a diamond T and I checked. CO (second to last to act) bet a bit under half pot. I called, the other two folded. Then I checked a non diamond, non pairing river. He bets pot.

I shook my head and folded. Maybe he was betting the turn with AdX and bluffed at it since I seemed weak, but with 3 guys calling the flop, one of them is likely to have a flush draw. Villain definitely a bad player but not particularly bluffy so I figured he probably had it and folded to battle him another time.
I think, this is perfectly fine. The difference to the other hand is, that this time you put him to the test to fire that big river bet. People often say, that when nothing change, we cant first call and then fold. But the bet itself changes things. Its less likely, he is bluffing again, particularly when he bet full pot. His turn bet was also stronger, because he was not last to act, and finally the responsibility for defending was shared between 3 players. So even from a theoretical point of view there will likely be enough times, where someone has a flush, to make bluffing unprofitable for him.
Last two days been running into a ton of coolers. Perhaps it's making me overfold. Gonna take a break and reset.
Sounds like a good idea :)

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A bit of background, prior to this hand, ran into several coolers and overall having a rough day. I think it let what happened before cloud my decision. But, in prior hands, they DID have it.

First hand at a new table against mostly players whose IDs I don't recognize.

Ts8h on BB. 3 limpers, I check. 4 way flop.

9sJhQc I flopped a straight.

I bet 32c into 36c pot (rake adjusted). CO calls and BTN calls. SB folds.

Turn's the Th... Pretty much only scared of a T and a T I get. Same thing has been happening all day. Mentally I am thinking I got beat again.

I check. Should I bet here and hope they fold? I mean if I bet here and get called, I am still in the same situation on the river.

CO checks, and BTN bets half pot.

I have no reads against this guy. First ever hand against him.

I decided to fold to move to the next fight. CO also folds.

Incredibly weak on my part?

Should I just call turn and hope river gets checked down?

I definitely let the negativity I was feeling from a string of unlucky run outs influence my decision here.
-------

After subsequent hands at the table, I think it's 50-50 that the BTN was just betting when he shouldn't. Seems like the guy of guy who would bet a pair in that spot. If I had that info before the hand I probably would have called at least the turn bet.

But if you had no read at all, in that spot what would you do?
I think that because we had checked versus limpers on the BB we should be checking way more often than betting (because this is what we do almost 90% of times when it comes in limp to us???!!??). Curious to know what solvers would do in such spot...
Anyway it seems a hard spot but OTT we could continue calling planning to call a fair river bet and to fold to too much action, if villain bets a salty price OTR.
When we are losing too much the best move is always to quit the game and go do something else for example, I like to watch NETFLIX. 😂

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The negativity continues.

Set over set twice, KK ran into a set, and had people river 6> outers against me a bunch of times. AND this one finally made me quit:

Ac9d on BTN. I open to 28c. BB calls.

Again, this is one where I let prior action affect me. This BB has been running very hot on at least 2 tables and has beat me on showdown 5 times to zero.

Flop is 5c6c7c. BB checks. I bet half pot. He calls.

Turn is 9c. He checks.

Normally I follow with another bet here, but I checked because of just how things have gone. Mofo very well has the 8c given how hot he's running.
I do block 8c9c and 7c8c isn't possible, but this guy could have 88.

River is 4c... lol. Not likely that changes anything as I don't think he has 3c but it's just crazy how lately if any card is bad for me, it comes on the board.

He bets 1/3 pot. Again, normally I would raise, but I called.

Ah8c.

Playing scared did limit me to losing under 3 buy ins today, but I think I need to take a week off.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think you played the Ac9h hand great and lost the min. I would have lost it all LOL. Crazy scary board. Hopefully you go on a upswing after your break

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ace high flush vs str flush just happened to me again hahaha. Just keep running into one cooler hand after the other.

365 all spades on flop, 9h on turn, then 4s on river. I had As8h on BTN and raised preflop. Check check on flop. Called SB's turn bet and just called the river again when SB led out.

He had 7s7d.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Ace high flush vs str flush just happened to me again hahaha. Just keep running into one cooler hand after the other.

365 all spades on flop, 9h on turn, then 4s on river. I had As8h on BTN and raised preflop. Check check on flop. Called SB's turn bet and just called the river again when SB led out.

He had 7s7d.
Lose the tables and go do something else for a while, spend time with your friends, family, play other games, whatever. It will be good for you, I guarantee!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
8To is an interesting hand to see a flop from BB (above 40% of the most marginal combinations possible, something utopian of course because the Vs are not going to play with absolutely all type of hands). We do not have important blockers so the passive line is the best option preflop. An aggressive style would start to bluff sometimes starting with JTo+.
The flop looks nice, but clearly you're back to the same thing. We do not represent a strong range, so a donk bet makes up for our disadvantage. The size seems somewhat polarizing to me. I would opt for a size between 25%-35%.
The turn is horrible. We are now blocking TT and that eliminates a lot of the opponents' bluff range.
Also we have a 8h which reduces the villain's flush draw combos. Mainly because of your polarized bet of flop I would be defending myself here. If we had bet smaller on the flop (1/4 pot) I would be evaluating Villain's action in more detail now on the turn. Your play wasn't bad, you had a weak bluff catcher for this texture.
Greetings.

Last edited: