Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
These two hands happened on the same table within ten mins of each other. Most memorable hands today for me. Wondering what your thoughts are and if you think I got bluffed in either or both hands. Thanks. In particular I struggled with my bet sizing.

First hand, KcTc on BB. UTG (on the LAG side) opens to 25c. Everyone folds, I call.
4c2s7c I check he bets 30c I call. I am never folding here. Basically got the flop I hoped for. Only better thing would be if the Ac was there.

Turn is Qc.

I check. He bets 65c I raise to $1.50. He takes the maximum ten secs allowed and calls. To me it smells like he is drawing to a flush too.

River is 6c, which I did not want to see.

I dunno if it's paranoia but I am seriously concerned he has Ac here. I decided to throw out a blocker bet $1.40 into $4.15 and he pretty much instashoves. It would be calling off about $8 to win about $13.50. If the Qc wasn't already out there I could maybe see him shoving a Qc if I squinted hard, but it doesn't smell like a bluff or overplay. Maybe he interpreted the small bet as weakness and thought he could bullied me off the hand, but my check raise on the turn must have clued him in that I might have made the flush on the turn.

I folded.
----------

Not long after I get AcAd on BTN. I open to 28c. BB (my HUD labels him as tight, AF is only 1.2. I forget the VPIP/PFR stats. Likely in the mid teens.) calls. In any case, I am pretty sure he's not a donk even though I don't have a lot of history with him.

5d6s2c flop.

He checks I bet 2/3 pot. He calls.

Turn is 9h. He seems to take a few extra seconds. Again maybe it's paranoia. I checked for pot control. 78 does get there, and he could have a set.

River is Ts. He checks.

I thought about just checking but I ended up betting 85c into the $1.39 pot. In hindsight I probably would bet half pot or less if I could do it again. What am I really getting value from in that spot?

Anyway, he shoves. The pot was barely over $2 before the shove. I would have to call off about $8.50. Seemed like an easy fold. Unlikely to be a bluff here from this player.

I folded again.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 KTs

Preflop
Standard defend

Flop (pot $0,55)
Great flop for your range and your hand. This is great spot to take aggressive action by either leading or check-raising. Check-calling is the second worst option, and the worst would be folding.

Turn (pot $1,15)
Completely on board with checkraising, but your sizing is way to small. After you call his $0,65, pot is $2,45, and you only make it $0,85 more for him to call. You are giving him better than 4:1, and this is leaving a ton of value on the table. You are happy to play for stacks here, so you should set it up for a river jam. If you click the "pot" button, you will make it $3,1, and if he call, pot will be $7,35 leaving a bit under a pot sized bet left for the river assuming 100BB effective stacks. And then you jam any card, that dont put a 4-flush or pair the board.

River (pot $4,15)
In situations, where we dont want to face a raise, the best option is to check. And here we really dont want to face a raise. We dont want to bet-fold, because then we are folding the second nuts. And we also dont want to bet-call, unless there is some kind of dynamic, where a small bet can induce a lot of bluffs. So the best line here by far is to check-call. This allow him to bluff or even valuebet worse. The hands, we bet for value here, should only be the nut flush, and then we can mix in some bluffs, if we want to be balanced.

Hand 2 AA

Preflop
Obviously a standard open, and the only thing, I will say, is, that if you use 2,8BB with AA, then you should do it with your entire range.

Flop (pot $0,61)
If you had opened from UTG, then this would be a bad flop for your range. But opening from BTN you can also have low cards, so its certainly fine to bet this for value.

Turn (pot $1,42)
I do like your decision to pot control here. A tight player is probably not paying 3 streets with many worse hands, especially because the flopped top pair and second pair now got degraded, and he is unlikely to have a 9 in his hand. As you say, 87 also got there, and 43 flopped it.

River (pot $1,42)
When he check again, I would also try to get a second street of value from hands like A6 or 77-88 or whatever. You could size down, since his hand looks pretty weak after checking again. But as Lex Veldhaus sometimes say during his streams, its not up to us to find hands for the opponents to call with. If they always fold, they always lose, and then we just bluff them more. When he check-jam, its an easy fold, especially against a nit.

MetalFroggee

MetalFroggee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I can’t beat that analysis other than to say, did you get bluffed? Possibly but not probably. Curious George would call both times “just to see what the other guy had” but curious George is a losing poker player. And you don’t sound like a monkey.

so, absolutely totally frustrating but the folds were undoubtedly the best options once you got to these rivers.

now the difficult bit, Move on and don’t let this player live in your head rent free. Im pretty sure you’d be feeling really stupid if you called and he had what you expected him to have so take the fact you got away as a win, no matter what the cards were!

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think they were good folds, even if they were very frustrating to make.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
These two hands happened on the same table within ten mins of each other. Most memorable hands today for me. Wondering what your thoughts are and if you think I got bluffed in either or both hands. Thanks. In particular I struggled with my bet sizing.

First hand, KcTc on BB. UTG (on the LAG side) opens to 25c. Everyone folds, I call.
4c2s7c I check he bets 30c I call. I am never folding here. Basically got the flop I hoped for. Only better thing would be if the Ac was there.

Turn is Qc.

I check. He bets 65c I raise to $1.50. He takes the maximum ten secs allowed and calls. To me it smells like he is drawing to a flush too.

River is 6c, which I did not want to see.

I dunno if it's paranoia but I am seriously concerned he has Ac here. I decided to throw out a blocker bet $1.40 into $4.15 and he pretty much instashoves. It would be calling off about $8 to win about $13.50. If the Qc wasn't already out there I could maybe see him shoving a Qc if I squinted hard, but it doesn't smell like a bluff or overplay. Maybe he interpreted the small bet as weakness and thought he could bullied me off the hand, but my check raise on the turn must have clued him in that I might have made the flush on the turn.

I folded.
----------

Not long after I get AcAd on BTN. I open to 28c. BB (my HUD labels him as tight, AF is only 1.2. I forget the VPIP/PFR stats. Likely in the mid teens.) calls. In any case, I am pretty sure he's not a donk even though I don't have a lot of history with him.

5d6s2c flop.

He checks I bet 2/3 pot. He calls.

Turn is 9h. He seems to take a few extra seconds. Again maybe it's paranoia. I checked for pot control. 78 does get there, and he could have a set.

River is Ts. He checks.

I thought about just checking but I ended up betting 85c into the $1.39 pot. In hindsight I probably would bet half pot or less if I could do it again. What am I really getting value from in that spot?

Anyway, he shoves. The pot was barely over $2 before the shove. I would have to call off about $8.50. Seemed like an easy fold. Unlikely to be a bluff here from this player.

I folded again.
It would be nice if you could post the hands separately because one has nothing to do with the other.
Both hands seems like a fold approach. I wouldn't had bet on the river on both of hands displayed.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be nice if you could post the hands separately because one has nothing to do with the other.
Yeah I agree. Just because they happened on the same table, does not make them related. Its not even the same Villain.

P

pokernomad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River shoves/raises are almost always strong and it's definitely more profitable to fold in these spots rather than call - yes you will sometimes run into a bluff and feel good about your call, but I think you lose way more than you win on these spots.
Players at this level, myself included atm, do not find enough bluffs to make a call profitable imo