$10 NL HE 6-max: Crying call or fall with top set vs river shove?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Second hand at a table. Villain (CO) has $8.32. I am at SB with JcJs

He opens to 30c.

I raise to $1. He calls.

Jh5h7s flop.

I bet 76c into $2.10 he calls.

Turn is 6s. Now with 2 flush draws I bet $2 into $3.62 pot. I dunno why I bet so small. Just being stupid I suppose. Should be extracting max value from the draws.

River is 4s, which makes 4 to a str and completes a back door flush. I check. He shoves $4.56 into $7.62 pot.

Instinct says fold but I ended up calling as time ran out. If he had a set he probably would have raised the turn.

Would you fold?

8c8s

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
This is a great example why 3bet sizings matter.
Why? Because of your low 3bet sizing he basically continues with all of his range and that consists of a lot of garbage which hits the flop very well. You didn't narrow his range leaving all suited gappers, connectors low and medium pairs in. No suited ace will fold in position as well for that sizing.
Make it 4.5x preflop next time (1.35$)
The flop bet is okay, but you could also go bigger because of the draws and his range that connects well with flop. (Because of low 3bet)
Turnbet is bad as you already stated yourself. Honestly I would overbet the turn and because of low SPR I would jam it.
River is super uggly since you let all his drawers continue cheap pre- and postflop. He can have floated all of his range on flop and called with anything that has some equity on the turn just to jam scary rivers. He has worse sets, two pairs and busted hearts in his range. So a call is okay in general. However NL10.. Unknown player.. It's more of a fold because people underbluff heavily and tend to check back if not nutty.

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

He opens to 30c.
Broken stack. Unknown player. You are the regular, put that in your mind. Second hand at the table and a newcomer opening 3x IP.
I raise to $1. He calls.

Jh5h7s flop.

I think our 3-bet here could be a little bit bigger, But the sizing doesn't matter that much, what matter is that unknown villain opened 3x IP and called a 3x 3-bet: villain has something. Our c-bet flop is fine, but if we go for 1/2 or a bit more than 1/2 pot is also okay. This flop is a little bit dry and we own the nuts so we do not want to slowplay but we also wanna make some value out of our relative nuts.
Turn is 6s. Now with 2 flush draws I bet $2 into $3.62 pot. I dunno why I bet so small. Just being stupid I suppose. Should be extracting max value from the draws.
This 6s is not the best card in the world, now completes a possible straight for 98 and (43? unlikely). Villain can be holding KJ (alghouth if should have folded to 3-bet preflop), AJ, the possible back doors of spades so I don't mind going for 3/4 pot or full pot sizing in this scenario. Our intention is to jam any river from now on. But as long as you bet a smaller sizing maybe there is some room for folding to some bad rivers.
River is 4s, which makes 4 to a str and completes a back door flush. I check. He shoves $4.56 into $7.62 pot.
Hard spot huh? What villain called preflop, flop and turn is the question we should make. Now it's bad because any 8x beat us, and any two spades.
Instinct says fold but I ended up calling as time ran out. If he had a set he probably would have raised the turn.

Would you fold?
I wouldn't fold this. There are still more hands that are losing than winning hands. If villain has an 8x or two spades good for it! Villain began the hand broken stacked. Nothing to worry about the result, this is why I quoted your hand instead of replying: when we reply the spoiler appears and there is always the risk to bias our comments, so I avoid that.
All in all I think we might find more Jx with top pair or some crazy two pair, or even dominated sets in a spot like this then 8x and two spades.
Take a note of the opponent and move on. Happy new year.

M

Mac557

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I'm not too bothered by the pre-flop sizing. Sure 4x may be optimal, but I regularly deviate between 3x + 1BB and 4x sizing when 3Betting from the blinds.

Your biggest problem here is the flop sizing. You have top set, so the range of villain's hands that will continue is limited, but those hands that do continue will be reasonably strong made hands, or draws. You get value from both by betting larger. Go 1.60 - 1.70 here IMO, and then size down OTT to a smaller proportion of the pot but still a number that gets value (and where you can comfortably get it all in regardless of how bad the river is).

As played I call,

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

He opens to 30c.

I raise to $1. He calls.

Jh5h7s flop.

Would you fold?

8c8s
Now I read the spoiler, It is what it is. But I would like to comment about your hands: 100% of times where you post a hand to analysis is a losing hand. It is a situation where you have a very good hand and end up beated by something that completes, a cooler, whatever. I would love to analyze and comment hands that you have won! Don't you have any questions or doubts about the hands you have won? Please, share them with us!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your feedback. I have actually posted winning hands before, but I post mostly losing ones because those are the type of hands where I struggle the most. It's when unknown or loose guys float and then catch their outters and I am unsure how I could avoid it in terms of action and size of bets.
Now I read the spoiler, It is what it is. But I would like to comment about your hands: 100% of times where you post a hand to analysis is a losing hand. It is a situation where you have a very good hand and end up beated by something that completes, a cooler, whatever. I would love to analyze and comment hands that you have won! Don't you have any questions or doubts about the hands you have won? Please, share them with us!