*** TURN *** [8s 4c Td] [3d]
Hyiero: bets $1.75
MattS985: calls $1.75

*** RIVER *** [8s 4c Td 3d] [Jh]
Hyiero: bets $3
MattS985: raises $7 to $10
Hyiero: calls $7

*** SHOW DOWN ***
MattS985: shows [5s Ks] (high card King)
Hyiero: shows [Jc Ah] (a pair of Jacks)
Hyiero collected $26.40 from pot

How would you have played this hand? more aggressive, more tight? thanks for your thoughts

M

Metrogn0me

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cas...p-posting-results-op-analysis-threads-136698/ - Don't do eeeet.

On a dry board like that, when he's reraising me when the jack falls on the river, it just shouts overpair imo (although he never reraised at any point with is confusing). You need to think to yourself whether the villian is capable of reraising you with a hand worse than AJ? I really don't see him making the move with KJ or QJ. However I'm still a beginner, so I could be wrong.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st, get reads on players. Doesn't have to be crazy or anything, just a general vpip/pfr/AF will do. Enough to get an idea what they're playing with.

Limper in Early position: AJ is pretty marginal depending upon the player for an early limp. If they're loose and taking lots of flops, then yeah I'm definitely bumping the price of poker, a larger amount though. I'd probably make it something from $1.35 to $1.50 and be happy if I just take down the limp now. (I really don't like being oop)

Flop: Okay, about as dry as it gets. I'd likely cbet this and hope it ends the hand. If I get called I really don't like where I stand, but I'm oop, and need to end this hand ASAP. So I'm cbetting 65-80% pot

I don't really like the 1/2 pot size for cbets, because you can get calls for extra reasons. If you lead out and bet 3/4 pot, and get a call, okay that guy either caught a piece of the board, or he's floating you. When you bet 1/2, well did he call because he thought that bet looked really weak? Did he call just because he's getting 3:1 on the bet? Or is it one of the previously mentioned things? It basically compounds the difficulty in deciphering what's happening in the hand.

Turn: So he called our cbet and a brick came. At this point, we have to check it. We cbet because we thought there was a good chance that bet would end the hand. It didn't though, and this card shouldn't really change our villain's position on where he stands. About the only time a bet is working here is when he was floating with complete air, and the double barrell makes him decide to abort mission. This card looks like a check/fold to me.

River: We spike our best card. If we needed any card to have a chance to win this is it. We just pulled ahead of any single pair holdings that were calling us down, so a bet here seems mandatory for value. I'd make it a solid bet too, probably around 3/4 pot as he just can't be putting us on spiking that jack.

As played, I honestly don't know how to react to that river raise. We've played the hand with these tiny bets the villain might interpret as weakness and just decide he's prying us off a hand. He might think we started with AK/AQ and just totally whiffed, and thinks he's doing this for value with something like AT. Or he might have a real hand and just be trying to get more money out of us.

He's started out so passive, then suddenly springs to life on that Jack. The only way the jack actually helped is if he had 79, the only draw that started on the flop. I think it's more likely that he has either a set, two pair, or 79 for the straight, and I'd probably just lay this down.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands