[1/2NL] Q/J vs. Agg Short-stack

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Help me out here with how to act after the flop and turn accordingly. The player was fairly aggressive with his SS, but by no means hyper-aggressive

pokerstars Game #21069630824: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2008/10/09 22:51:35 ET
Table 'Letaba' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: # 1 skills ($1.80 in chips)
Seat 2: Energzied ($5.51 in chips)
Seat 3: Namdeew ($3.01 in chips)
Seat 4: Bruno Rizz ($5.03 in chips)
Seat 5: SylvieBK ($3.41 in chips)
Seat 6: Shininggg ($4.51 in chips)
Seat 7: lemlywinks ($5.05 in chips)
Seat 8: ku12 ($4.99 in chips)
Seat 9: $hoot u down ($1.32 in chips)
$hoot u down: posts small blind $0.01
# 1 skills: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to lemlywinks [Js Qc]
Energzied: folds
Namdeew: folds
Bruno Rizz: folds
SylvieBK: folds
Shininggg: folds
lemlywinks: calls $0.02
ku12: folds
$hoot u down: calls $0.01
# 1 skills: checks
*** FLOP *** [8d Qd 6d]
$hoot u down: bets $0.16
# 1 skills: folds
lemlywinks: calls $0.16
*** TURN *** [8d Qd 6d] [Jc]
$hoot u down: bets $0.22
lemlywinks: ???

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise preflop (or a fold wouldn't be terrible, but too tight imo). besides the more obvious benefits, raising defines player's ranges which is extremely important with a hand like QJ that you can easily fold to a 3bet since it will frequently be dominated. limping and calling a raise (i suspect you might have done this had someone raised after you) is just asking for trouble because you'll usually miss the flop without initiative and even when you hit, you can rarely feel very good about your hand. if you were limping with plans to fold to a raise, i'd still say raising first-in is the superior option

now shove the turn. it's less than a dollar more. i mean, you called the 2.5x pot bet on the flop (most likely standard to call, but sort of read-dependent because that's a weird bet by him), then hit one of your best cards on the turn. what else were you hoping for?

jmasterrich

jmasterrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well to start off I would probably raise on the button with QJoff, especially if I have been sitting at the table a while and have an idea of where my opponents are at skill wise, and then if I get reraised unless its a min raise I probably just chuck it in the muck. Anyway, on the flop I think I would fold just becasue it is all diamond flop with lots of draws and he could have flopped two pair, and you could even be outkicked by KQ, AQ. Its hard to put him on a hand cause he was in the BB. Also it was a massive overbet on the flop, which if you call you probably gonna have to commit the rest of what his stack is to the pot because he is probably gonna keep pushing on the rest of the streets. So all in all I would raise preflop on the button in this situation or limp, see the flop and fold postflop to his overbet and wait for that fishy to overbet another pot where you got the NUTS