Taking chips from a player sitting out

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
....is when the opponent is sitting out and his chips are up for grabs.

Discuss.

WDStipa

WDStipa

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Why not?

It happens that internet connection disconnected for some players. What you can do? Sympathize with the player and play your cards slow in order that player is going to lose slower/less money in hope that he is going to be back. What if he is not going to be back?

Poker is a brutal game in general. If you want to make money by playing poker there should not be space for compassion for other players even when the opponent is sitting out. Same when the opponent is activ on the table.

I would for sure grab his/her chips without hesitating.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's unfair. Give him his chips back now!

C

Claudiurox

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have a low ballanced, and nothing seems to be in your favour...well it's easy money :)) . if the player enter in a online game, should be stay untill it's over i think, or don't play:D

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think take them fast...sometimes will happen for you some disconnects and these chips will make balance in time....

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
nothing to discuss is a part of the game:smokin:

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
What position do you mean ? If you are SB and sitout is BB what are you going to do, give him chips ? Why ? Who said so ? I'm not folding and by calling the system gives his chips to me. It's not stealing, it's equalizing. It's poker rooms's fault to end the game there.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

Poker is not charity
Thats happens to a lot of players with bas internet
Or maybe his wife or husband has called and yelled .... hahaha
Rgds

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing to really discuss....take them.

This happens even more when a freeroll event has open registration far in advance of the starting date. People register and then probably forget.

I have been on tables where my 8 opponents are "sitting out" and I'm just picking up chips - no real poker going on.

Good luck !

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Did someone say chips? I LOVE chips. Especially free ones. :lollypop:

But seriously, I have zero qualms about taking a sit-out's chips. The only exception I'll make is if I'm heads-up with someone, and it appears that they've lost connection. Then I will stall for a bit to give them a chance to come back online.

Y

yoshi352000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You take them and they take them from you

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure what the right thing to do is but what I do is take the chips.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's part of the game. If you sit out, your chips will go away.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I snap them up and expect the same from others if I'm the one that's sitting. Fair play.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take them for sure. If its a fun game and someones having trouble keeping a connection I will give them a bit of a chance.

T

tremor_ß

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing to discuss is a part of the game:smokin:
why not just play instead of testing the patience of the players

Why not?

It happens that internet connection disconnected for some players. What you can do? Sympathize with the player and play your cards slow in order that player is going to lose slower/less money in hope that he is going to be back. What if he is not going to be back?

Poker is a brutal game in general. If you want to make money by playing poker there should not be space for compassion for other players even when the opponent is sitting out. Same when the opponent is activ on the table.

I would for sure grab his/her chips without hesitating.
totally agree, a couple of times so I won satalite when several players were absent, but I wasn't expecting them, but rather played faster, are to blame , and I have spoiled the game

It's unfair. Give him his chips back now!
it's not fair to waste someone else's time if you don't violate the rights of the room. it's compensation for wasting time.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did someone say chips? I LOVE chips. Especially free ones. :lollypop:

But seriously, I have zero qualms about taking a sit-out's chips. The only exception I'll make is if I'm heads-up with someone, and it appears that they've lost connection. Then I will stall for a bit to give them a chance to come back online.

That makes sense. I have never experienced this heads up, but in the spirit of fair play I might do the same, if it happen. However with 3 or more players, if I dont take the chips, someone else will, and obviously play can not be halted, just because someone is sitting out.

So if the sit-out player is on my left, and it folds to me in SB, of course I am raising 100% of my range and picking up the dead chips. No way am I going to give him a walk or check it showdown. It is after all his responsibility to sit in.

Also sometimes people just choose to sit out for whatever reason, especially at freerolls and low buyin event. Maybe he bought in for a dollar, did not expect to run deep, and now he dont have time to finish it, because he is going to a party with his girlfriend. This is not the problem of the other players.

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More like (in 888) player(s) who sit out take your chips instead :rolleyes:

And win their pots, I once seen a player sitting out knock out a "playing" player lmao .The sit out player was in the bb(built a stack then left apparently) the other had less than a bb, and players who fold to sitting out players lmao(once the whole table told this guy to bet, kept chking haha)

Last edited by a moderator:
akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I agree with the vast majority here , just take them because they are dead money in the middle.

As some previous posters mentioned only in a FT's HU and due to connectivity's issue I would stall in purpose because I find it dishonest to do it someone else to me.It is not a good sportsmanship.Apparently I want to win but I want to be a fair and clean win!

Poker Chips - History of Chips