takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The issue I have w/a player sitting out and losing chips is when they're in the BB and it gets folded around to the SB whom, for what ever reason, folds and they wind up getting paid for sitting out. Just raise, take their chips, and move the button. :heeeellll

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The issue I have w/a player sitting out and losing chips is when they're in the BB and it gets folded around to the SB whom, for what ever reason, folds and they wind up getting paid for sitting out.

That is, what happen, when you play multible tables and dont pay full attention. I have not done exactly that, but I have inadvertently given someone a walk, because I did not notice, they were sitting with like just over a single blind giving me odds to play any two cards :)

O

OMGInsanoCut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny encounters

I have seen this couple of times and it's very funny when a person playing plays with sit-outs and keeps checking and lose to sit out, I think they are beginners but idk... like is this for real? Lol

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen this couple of times and it's very funny when a person playing plays with sit-outs and keeps checking and lose to sit out, I think they are beginners but idk... like is this for real? Lol

That is indeed funny, and yes that must be beginners. For starters only beginners limp into pots, which is the only way, this can happen ;)

I experienced something today, which is perhaps a bit less funny. We were down to the last 6 in a 45 man SnG, and the short stacker of the table went all in for less than 2 blinds. After thinking about it for a while the player in BB, who had more than 10 blinds, folded and let him dubble up. I was like "WTF are you doing man, you are priced in to call even with 72, and dont you want to level up???"

And then it dawned on me, they had the same nationality and rather similar stats as well. So did I actually encounter collusion or multi accounting? Its not really enough to build a case on, but it sure did look fishy enough to raise my suspicion. Anyways it did not really matter, because soon after the shorty was out anyways, and since this was a 1 dollar SnG, I am not going to worry to much about it. If someone wants to cheat for pennies, up to them.

O

OMGInsanoCut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nationality

I would feel like being triggered too, priced in to call just gotta put few more chip to call... especially in s&g... I think nationality is factor for some players, there were registered players in s&g with like 2-3 same country as mine... as I register, me and this dude were only two registered left. Unless my user looks too good to be true on them but they fled away after my registration, like tourney was almost full to start game but end up being two with dude so I just unregistered.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you take them .. just as fast as you can : ) only one real ethical question applies here IMO ... is it for a lot of money ... then I am likely to be as fair and honest as I can, otherwise grinding at micro's, tournaments period, as fast as I can bet and get dealt again : ) the gravy train only rolls so long before someone else gets seated and catches on .. then sometimes, you have to share :p

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Did someone say chips? I LOVE chips. Especially free ones. :lollypop:

But seriously, I have zero qualms about taking a sit-out's chips. The only exception I'll make is if I'm heads-up with someone, and it appears that they've lost connection. Then I will stall for a bit to give them a chance to come back online.
Yup, big difference between playing a bunch of strangers in an anonymous freeroll and playing a CC League game against people you know (who are in Venezuela).

In the latter case, tourney level makes a big difference. In the early stages, I (and everyone else, I imagine) take their chips. In the late stages/final table, I try to wait for them to reconnect. Civil unrest shouldn't cost your League team points.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
When I first started playing online poker, pokerstars had the astronomer freerolls. I remember one tournament where all the other players were sitting out at my table. My mouse and index finger went into overdrive. I almost ended up with RSI of the index finger.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Did someone say chips? I LOVE chips. Especially free ones. :lollypop:

But seriously, I have zero qualms about taking a sit-out's chips. The only exception I'll make is if I'm heads-up with someone, and it appears that they've lost connection. Then I will stall for a bit to give them a chance to come back online.

Totally agree, except for the exception part.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take them there chips when you can...just watch out for others trying to do the same...:)

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I snap them up and expect the same from others if I'm the one that's sitting. Fair play.
Exactly, we all know that disconnects happen, so do it as fast as you can, it is within the rules.

:top:

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Sometimes that happens ... mainly when the internet connection is interrupted ... I feel sorry for the opponent ... but I hurry to play to take the chips ...!

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not a big bonus. what to do. it happens all the same it’s not the main indicator in the game and most often it doesn’t change anything ... to be honest, it brings a little positive emotions.:cool::rolleyes:

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course they are up for grabs. the hard part is you are not the only one that notices that. I have got into some very weird 3 and 4 bet pots because people are just trying to steal the BB of a player sitting out.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man I love when this happens in a freeroll esp on Grey Snow poker where chips come to you automatically

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's nothing to feel guilty about. It's better that a player is sitting than taking sixty seconds to make a decision every hand.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yea. Sit out chips are tasty chips.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they don't want me to take their chips they can come back online and defend their stack. Sure, it could be a connection problem, but that is one of the risks you take when you play online poker, so i don't see a reason to be mercyful even in that case.

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am shocked and appalled at the reactions in this thread.

No, you absolutely do not take his chips! What you should do is contact Support (usually support@pokerroom.com) and let them know there is a tournament with a player sitting out and that his chips are in serious danger of being taken unlawfully.

Support will then proceed to pause the tournament and forward your email to the Accounts department. They will pick up the phone and call the player to find out what the reason is for his/her absence.

If they can't get the person on the phone they have the option to patch into the police dispatch and send out a patrol car to do a welfare check on this individual. The officers will locate the person, take him/her to the station and get to the bottom of the sitting-out issue. Was it intentional? What is the chip-damage? Does the person want to file a missing chips report?

Once the situation is cleared up you will be informed by Accounts. If the amount of chips lost is recovered, then you will most likely receive an award for your heroism as an upstanding citizen on the Internet. A prize is usually awarded too. Last time I received an award, I got 3 freeroll tickets worth $0 dollars.

At this point the tournament will be resumed, although when this happens (usually 2-3 days later), everybody else is sitting out too.

I hope this answers your question. :fight:

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
When I first started playing online poker, pokerstars had the astronomer freerolls. I remember one tournament where all the other players were sitting out at my table. My mouse and index finger went into overdrive. I almost ended up with RSI of the index finger.

I am shocked and appalled at the reactions in this thread.

No, you absolutely do not take his chips! What you should do is contact Support (usually support@pokerroom.com) and let them know there is a tournament with a player sitting out and that his chips are in serious danger of being taken unlawfully.

Support will then proceed to pause the tournament and forward your email to the Accounts department. They will pick up the phone and call the player to find out what the reason is for his/her absence.

If they can't get the person on the phone they have the option to patch into the police dispatch and send out a patrol car to do a welfare check on this individual. The officers will locate the person, take him/her to the station and get to the bottom of the sitting-out issue. Was it intentional? What is the chip-damage? Does the person want to file a missing chips report?

Once the situation is cleared up you will be informed by Accounts. If the amount of chips lost is recovered, then you will most likely receive an award for your heroism as an upstanding citizen on the Internet. A prize is usually awarded too. Last time I received an award, I got 3 freeroll tickets worth $0 dollars.

At this point the tournament will be resumed, although when this happens (usually 2-3 days later), everybody else is sitting out too.

I hope this answers your question. :fight:

I now feel so, so ashamed. I wonder if the poker gods will ever forgive me.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The mistake is to raise to take the big blinds chips when you are weak, and find yourself being called by the small blind.
People tend to get over excited when the BB sits out and a struggle can ensue for the chips, when both players never intended to go big on the pot.

M

Milan Godhania

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitout, wait for the pockets Aces & surprise. )).

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta take the chips and this does seem to be the consensus here. Disconnected players as well. There’s been plenty of times where I have gotten disconnected only to reconnect a minute later to missing a third of my stack in heads up(not FT) included. I’ve busted in these tournaments on crappy internet days and lost real money. So when it’s my turn to collect can’t show remorse. I want to win, but also win back the money I’ve lost in times of disconnects. No exceptions for the player including FT.

The difference between first and 2nd can be a few hundred dollars and I’m sure I’ve lost that amount in disconnects. It’s time to recoup, since I expect others to do, and have done, the same to me.

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to realize that sitting out is a strategy. Some players will coast to the money and then play. You can never have guilt for taking a player's chips.

Poker Chips - History of Chips