A selection of convenient games and tables

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The mistake due to which low stakes players cannot become successful in any way is the inability / unwillingness to look for profitable games. Searching for a profitable game means searching for tables with at least one very bad or hard tilt player. Thanks to such guys in poker money is made. Of course, if you play tournaments or SnG, the select is beyond your control, but if your discipline is cache, there is no excuse for you except laziness if you continue to ignore such an important aspect of poker as select. There are some players who just want to sit down at the table and play, and if you want to win quite a lot, you will have to be puzzled by finding a profitable game anyway.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree with that, although I don’t play a cash game but the fact is that choosing the tables is key.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.Good advice.I will keep it in mind for better results

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree with that, although I don’t play a cash game but the fact is that choosing the tables is key.

Yes, in tournament poker there is no way to choose a suitable table))

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, table selection is important. One other consideration I'd like to throw out there (more for live games, but might also apply to online poker rooms with a waiting time to get dealed in) is to make sure that the "weaker" tables you choose has several fishy players or one with a huge stack who seems to be staying a while.

What you don't want is to register for an "ideal table" and then find out that the fishy player(s) bust before you get dealed in. The table you start at may not be as "easy or hard" to play later in the day (say even an hour or two later a lot can change). That super easy game you just sat at can become tough if a pro sits down and likewise a tough table might become easier if the regs move somewhere else. The table dynamic is constantly changing.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, table selection is important. One other consideration I'd like to throw out there (more for live games, but might also apply to online poker rooms with a waiting time to get dealed in) is to make sure that the "weaker" tables you choose has several fishy players or one with a huge stack who seems to be staying a while.

What you don't want is to register for an "ideal table" and then find out that the fishy player(s) bust before you get dealed in. The table you start at may not be as "easy or hard" to play later in the day (say even an hour or two later a lot can change). That super easy game you just sat at can become tough if a pro sits down and likewise a tough table might become easier if the regs move somewhere else. The table dynamic is constantly changing.

By the way, it's not a fact that a player with a large stack is a strong player, there have been many cases that he gains a large stack very quickly, and just as quickly gives it to the opponent, especially at micro stakes.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, in tournament poker there is no way to choose a suitable table))
No, but there are better value games than others. If a $1 game has 200 players and a $200 GTD, and a $1.50 game has 50 players and a $200 GTD, which would you choose?

I find it surprising how much "free" money some of these tournaments have. If you look at the "finished" games, you often find entries don't come close to meeting the GTD prizes. Why would I play cash or SnG games when so much "free" money is available in mtt games?

Of course tournaments often require several hours just to get past the rebuy period, so I guess time could be a factor.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, but there are better value games than others. If a $1 game has 200 players and a $200 GTD, and a $1.50 game has 50 players and a $200 GTD, which would you choose?

I find it surprising how much "free" money some of these tournaments have. If you look at the "finished" games, you often find entries don't come close to meeting the GTD prizes. Why would I play cash or SnG games when so much "free" money is available in mtt games?

Of course tournaments often require several hours just to get past the rebuy period, so I guess time could be a factor.

Time. Long time playing tournament poker. In Cash you can take a break when you are tired. Or else you need to leave.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By the way, it's not a fact that a player with a large stack is a strong player, there have been many cases that he gains a large stack very quickly, and just as quickly gives it to the opponent, especially at micro stakes.

Oh, I completely agree; I apologize if my lack of clarity gave that impression. What I intended by "large stack" was that they are more likely to remain by the time you actually get to sit down at the table.

Some of my favorite tables are when fish get lucky on a bad beat and accumulate a huge stack - it is much easier to ciphen chips from them than it is from a seasoned reg or pro. :D

Who knows? They may even get crazy and call an all-in when I have the nuts: I might just take the whole chip stack right there! (But usually, chip stacks dwindle away in increments)

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, I completely agree; I apologize if my lack of clarity gave that impression. What I intended by "large stack" was that they are more likely to remain by the time you actually get to sit down at the table.

Some of my favorite tables are when fish get lucky on a bad beat and accumulate a huge stack - it is much easier to ciphen chips from them than it is from a seasoned reg or pro. :D

Who knows? They may even get crazy and call an all-in when I have the nuts: I might just take the whole chip stack right there! (But usually, chip stacks dwindle away in increments)

As for the weak players, I agree with you. when they are lucky and they gain a large number of chips, they begin to believe that luck is on their side, and they enter the game with almost any hand, and this is bad for them, but great for me))))))

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The mistake due to which low stakes players cannot become successful in any way is the inability / unwillingness to look for profitable games. Searching for a profitable game means searching for tables with at least one very bad or hard tilt player. Thanks to such guys in poker money is made. Of course, if you play tournaments or SnG, the select is beyond your control, but if your discipline is cache, there is no excuse for you except laziness if you continue to ignore such an important aspect of poker as select. There are some players who just want to sit down at the table and play, and if you want to win quite a lot, you will have to be puzzled by finding a profitable game anyway.

So, the advice is sound. Why don't you post a little step-by-step on how you table select. Maybe the newer players here will be afraid to ask. Thanks for taking the time to help out players who want to learn.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not so easy to select a table now though. I made a point of taking names of these type of players when I came across them. Then a few times I managed to search them out again, before they disappeared (presumably broke).

One occasion I had one player constantly donking off chips by shoving most hands and reloading. Next time I saw them it was the opposite. I have a feeling they were drunk.

Some sites don't even let you know who is at what table until you get dealt in.

What information should I look for when deciding on a table? As in, average pot size, hands per hour etc.

I'm always wary of tables with a big waiting list because in my eyes these could easily be friends trying to get on the same table.

Top 10 Games