Golf

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Mickelson is obviously the best player in the world, so why is Tiger ranked #1?

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The rankings are based over a long period of time, i dont know exactly how long, and since then Tiger has won more than Phil, but Phil is close now.

On TV a few weeks ago they said if Phil won some tournament he would take #1.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear ya. You would think Phil was #1 by now though. Look at how Tiger has played lately, and he's injured on top of it. So how many tournaments does Tiger have to completely miss to lose the top spot?

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He didn't even look close to No. 1 this week. Other than the 1st and second hole it was just brutal.

Lets see them head to head next week, should be interesting.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he won at the colonial he would've been #1

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which is a little ridiculous. Tiger may as well sit out, otherwise he risks losing his #1 ranking under these rules. I'm joking, of course, but why does Phil have to win another tournament outright to overcome Tiger, when he WON The Masters and finished in second at Quail Hollow? Does Tiger retain the title until the end of the season if his play is rotten, but Phil doesn't win another tournament?

Last edited:
Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a rolling 12 month scoring system, not just based on tournaments won, but the rankings of players the winner overcomes. eg. win a tourney with 100 entries and 40 ranked players scores more points than winning a tourney with 200 entries and only 10 ranked players. The points scored say for a tour win in May 2009, drop off your total score on June 1st 2010.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no beef with Tiger Woods, I'm not a fan of the scoring system though. I hope Tiger kicks it back into a high gear, and Phil is forced to bear down to keep up. That would make for a helluva second half of Tiger's career. Will Tiger break Jack Nicklaus' major wins record in the near future? He needs five more, if I'm correct. Maybe Phil will have something to say about that.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tiger was on the other side of the inch today. Round one to Phill the thrill.

dead spade

dead spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have a hard time watching golf on TV but i have played it a couople of times just a hack smacking the ball around not even knowing where its going lol, but i think that tiger is ranked #1 due to the way he came on the seen its like he was bullit proof:cool:

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, here we have it, according to my sources. If Mickelson finishes in the top 3 this week at the US Open, and Tiger does not, Mickelson will overtake Tiger for the No.1 spot. So I guess Phil has been creeping up on him for a while, and we're finally at the point where he doesn't have to win to surpass him. Anyway, there are a lot of great young players on the tour now, so Phil will have to play great golf to make the top 3.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, here we have it, according to my sources. If Mickelson finishes in the top 3 this week at the US Open, and Tiger does not, Mickelson will overtake Tiger for the No.1 spot. So I guess Phil has been creeping up on him for a while, and we're finally at the point where he doesn't have to win to surpass him. Anyway, there are a lot of great young players on the tour now, so Phil will have to play great golf to make the top 3.

Phil has to finish at a certain position and Tiger has to finish so far back. If Phil wins, he'll take over #1 no matter where Tiger finishes, but he needs Tiger to finish a certain number of positions behind him if he takes 3rd, 4th, etc. As of right now it looks like he has a great chance to move to #1. Tiger struck the ball great in the first round, but couldn't make any putts. In the second round Tiger was back to being very inconsistent. Phil had a superb second round.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Major turn of events this evening. Tiger played one of the best 9 holes of his career on the back nine today at Pebble. He's now sitting at -1 under par and in 3rd place. Dustin Johnson and Graehm McDowell are ahead of Tiger, but they still have all of the most difficult holes ahead of them. Mickelson has dropped back a bit and is now +1 over par.

Tomorrow could get interesting.

jbatesm

jbatesm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see Tiger pulling it off tomorrow. Im not a big fan of Tiger but on sundays in a major, you better watch out cause hes coming for you. Im rooting for Mickleson though.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no beef with Tiger Woods, I'm not a fan of the scoring system though. I hope Tiger kicks it back into a high gear, and Phil is forced to bear down to keep up. That would make for a helluva second half of Tiger's career. Will Tiger break Jack Nicklaus' major wins record in the near future? He needs five more, if I'm correct. Maybe Phil will have something to say about that.
The golfing ranking systems is by far the best in all of sport so please dont make comments if you have no idea of how things work/ dont know what you are talking about.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil has to finish at a certain position and Tiger has to finish so far back. If Phil wins, he'll take over #1 no matter where Tiger finishes, but he needs Tiger to finish a certain number of positions behind him if he takes 3rd, 4th, etc. As of right now it looks like he has a great chance to move to #1. Tiger struck the ball great in the first round, but couldn't make any putts. In the second round Tiger was back to being very inconsistent. Phil had a superb second round.

If Phil finishes in the top 3, and ahead of Tiger, he'll be #1 in the world. That's what they said on tv, it's not my opinion.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The golfing ranking systems is by far the best in all of sport so please dont make comments if you have no idea of how things work/ dont know what you are talking about.
Instead of getting defensive about "the best scoring system in all of sports", you might want to re-read the thread. Pothole already explained it in detail. I posed the question, someone answered it.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's to fellow Irishman Graeme McDowell for the US Open win:congrats: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Slainte

dead spade

dead spade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so what spots did phil and tiger come in i know that tiger was ahead of phil but did phil come back or did tiger fight him off i wasnt watching but i am curiouse:cool:

jaycism

jaycism

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you would think that it would go by year to year. who cares about last years rankings. phil has been doing well. tiger has missed half the season. tiger has to pay his soon to be ex wife $750,000,000.00 plus a few houses lol. how sick is that. 5 years they were married. not bad. she made $150,000,000.00/year:congrats:

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if Woods would be #1 based on last year's results combined with this. It's come down to Mickelson finishing ahead of him in a tournament. So it could be a back and forth battle for a while, which should be good for golf.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Currently watching The Open Championship at St. Andrews in Scotland.

This is one of the oldest courses in the world. Nearly all of the players in the tournament have played the course dozens of times, so they know it well.

On the first day, Thursday, the players pretty much took the course apart, with lots of low scores. It made me wonder if technology and the general level of lay might have caught up with the Old Course - then came Friday!

The wind blew, the rain came, and suddenly the Old Course had these same players by the nuts! It was a bit like watching a train wreck, to see these great players missing putts by a mile, hitting shots all over the place, while struggling to stand up straight in the wind.

Today will be similar, with strong winds and some rain. Anyone can still win, with scores varying from 63 to 80+. The leader is 5 shots clear, but is untried and untested and nobody expects him to hang on for 2 days in these conditions. Even players who are 12 or more shots back have a chance.

It was also great to see Tom Watson finish what may be his last round in tournament play at St. Andrews last night. At 60+ he almost made the cut, using his vast experience to post a decent score - but not quite good enough to make the cut.

For golf lovers, this will be compulsive viewing today and tomorrow.

It is all live on ESPN here in the States - even tempting me to get up an hour earlier yesterday (Friday) at 5 a.m. to watch for an hour before getting my day started.....

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post Gess!:congrats: Fun stuff watching the wind blow the ball around on the greens. Also that was pretty sweet watching Tom Watson birdie the 18th and almost holed his chip for an eagle. Man's got class. Btw just before he putted out he turned to the gallery and said something and there was a smattering of laughter. Any idea what he said? And who's been dressing John Daly lately, Stevie Wonder?:eek:

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very disappointed in the fan turnout though, alot of empty stands all around the course.