Why do my big pairs keep losing in tournaments?

U

UDN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi forum users I just can not understand why it's impossible to play tournament poker, my pairs AA, KK are constantly thrashing. Constantly on the river comes straight, despite the fact that All In In is going pre-flop. What is the reason for the constant failures? I almost never get there)

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
let this be your biggest disappointment in life lol:flute::burnout:

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you just go all-in pre-flop, you will get tagged as 'maniak' and you will get too many callers.
The trick with these hands is to limit the number of opponents to 1 only.
Then AA gives some 80% chance of winning (preFlop), so you'll still lose 1 in 5 times (on average).
If you get more than 1 opponent, the chance of winning reduces drastically.

U

UDN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you just go all-in pre-flop, you will get tagged as 'maniak' and you will get too many callers.
The trick with these hands is to limit the number of opponents to 1 only.
Then AA gives some 80% chance of winning (preFlop), so you'll still lose 1 in 5 times (on average).
If you get more than 1 opponent, the chance of winning reduces drastically.

Exactly, I really forget about this. But all the same, the fact that the opponents just get incredible hands, every time. Closes the gutshot .. Too often this happens)

F

franknavin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online poker is probably rigged to generate more rake...OR people call hands online that live players NEVER play.

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker is probably rigged to generate more rake...OR people call hands online that live players NEVER play.

Look at the TV broadcast of any main event from pokerstars or another room. There are also a lot of river rides there. The blame for all this is variance. that's all

vtorr007

vtorr007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi forum users I just can not understand why it's impossible to play tournament poker, my pairs AA, KK are constantly thrashing. Constantly on the river comes straight, despite the fact that All In In is going pre-flop. What is the reason for the constant failures? I almost never get there)
Is becasue those are the card that are easily trget you playing the odds

24rules187

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in one of the $50 freerolls and I had just under 10k chips and 15 people from the money, someone shoved for about 7.5k and I had AA, I called it and he turned over 77, and he flopped a 7 pretty much ending my tourney since blinds were 300-600 and I was going card dead both before and after the AA hand, I sorta hate AA alittle now lol

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think about it this way - when 5,000 people sign up to play a tourney where only the top half dozen places pay anything worthwhile, there's a lot of incentive for folks to go crazy with just about any reasonable hand.

"Reasonable" is a very subjective term. Lots of people think that 72s is reasonable and 86s is GOLDEN! With that kind of thinking the odds are that those sorts of hands are going to win every so often, and of course that's ALWAYS going to happen when you have a big pair.

BTW - I stopped counting a long time ago all the times that I would have CRUSHED had I played only 72 instead of folding it pre-flop..

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel your pain. I lost 3 tourneys in one day with AA each time and on the same poker site. You would think I would have learned after the second time but not. It's just part of the game.

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you expect anyone to respond to this question? You haven't stated the sample size that this was observed over or the pairs you were jamming with.

Realistically, if you were jamming with positive equity and losing more than winning you've probably observed this over an insignificant sample size. This post is the direct equivalent of claiming that PS is rigged. Please learn a bit about poker and don't complain when variance strikes.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its part of the game. Obviously the big pairs don't always hold up but you just have to keep at it

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's just a matter of perception. We always remember the times our AA and KK get beat but we tend to forget all the times these hands win. When AA and KK win a hand it's considered a normal event, as it should be, and therefore it's not memorable. If we actually tracked these hands, I'm sure we'd find they win more than they lose.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Charge your opponents a lot. Get as much money as possible in by the turn.

Sometimes they will still get there. But most of the time it should be a nice double or triple up for you.

Good luck !

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably, because AA and KK are just pairs, although they are strong

:)

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say you are just exaggerating the constant thrashing - you remember the bad beats but forget the times you win with big pocket pairs preflop. Just keep getting you stack in with the best hand and you will see the results in the long run.

vladloza

vladloza

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such a feeling happens when we play a small amount of hands, but if we analyze how our top pairs play at a great distance, we will see that they often win, and we will also see how many times we won with the worst hand against the top pairs of opponents. I think this our brain remembers more often when we are unlucky than when we won))

U

UDN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say you are just exaggerating the constant thrashing - you remember the bad beats but forget the times you win with big pocket pairs preflop. Just keep getting you stack in with the best hand and you will see the results in the long run.

Such a feeling happens when we play a small amount of hands, but if we analyze how our top pairs play at a great distance, we will see that they often win, and we will also see how many times we won with the worst hand against the top pairs of opponents. I think this our brain remembers more often when we are unlucky than when we won))

Of course, at a long distance these hands should be profitable. However, each short interval ends with betbit. Yesterday I played 4 tournaments, of which I flew when I got these hands. The day before yesterday, the same thing in 3 tournaments. Probably 1 victory per week, and 20 losses should cover expenses, but for some reason it's not so (( :(

Zumpf

Zumpf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe You're not plaing agressively enough with these pairs?
The bet on the pre-flop must be of such size to keep the minimum opponents in the game.

U

UDN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe You're not plaing agressively enough with these pairs?
The bet on the pre-flop must be of such size to keep the minimum opponents in the game.
The fact of the matter is that I bet 3-bet pre-flop, and it comes down to pre-flop all in, and the flops, the turn and the river come in against the opponents:confused::confused::confused::confused:

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with AA, your chances of winning the hand are about 75% in preflop, usually if you make a good raise, the garbage hands will be retired in some cases of players that are reachable but there is still a 25% chance that you will lose the same is a hand very strong but you will not always win with it but you will win more with AA than with 8-3
:damnmate:

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really need some context to give some quality feedback.

What types of tournaments are you playing?
What is your position?
How many players in/already in the hand?
What is your stack size?
What range for shoving?

Are you seen as a loose player? table image...

Need some answers on the above otherwise, it is all just variance.

SoCal

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think it depends how you play it, but I think it's normal, sometimes I think it's a bad face for what happened, for example lately I do not win with KK no matter how I play them, but remember that having AA KK is not a guarantee to always win

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've been on a losing streak with these hands also. All I can do is give it time and hope that my luck will turn around.