Why delay pre flop when your intention is to FOLD?

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why delay pre flop when your intention is to FOLD? Especially in tournament poker. What does it matter?

Someone once explained it to me as a timing tell thing, but my son recently asked me this and I couldnt provide him with an explanation that made any sense to me, so I put it on you.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this happens most often in the steps tourneys or around a bubble. There are times when it makes sense to stall and ladder up. Unfortunately, to often folks seem to not fully understand when to stall or why so you see it on lots of freerolls and small buy ins where folks simply haven't figured out the format. This can be a pretty good tell for inexperience.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How early or late was it in the tourney? If it was early in the tourney the people are just being plain rude if it was deep in the tourney the people are staling to ladder up a couple of postions or trying to make the money period. Yes this is flat out rude and most of the people that do this are people that have no skill or have very few chips left and re trying to stay in the tourney long enough to make the money.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just standardizing time to act. If you instafold then sometimes take a little time with certain hands and play, and sometimes instaraise or call.. When those hands get shown down over time someone observant can match ranges with times. If you just standardize fold, call, raise to all the same it will be hard for anyone to know anything about your hand based on time. When you have a hand that is borderline fold or play and you have standardized your time on previous folds no1 will know you are contemplating playing a borderline hand or a strong hand based on time.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Multiple tournies at a time,,,,and have other things going on,,,me,i have a wife,2 kids and a home business to run,all at the same time.I like to listen to music,watch tv,smoke,drink,make sports bets,,,,:),,,,you never know whats happening behind that screen.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Waiting in the bubble or wating for the bllinds going up the next round!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some players also want to play each hand at the same feed. But, it usually gets worse at breaks and the bubble.

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i see most people stalling to run the clock and have other people knocked out in order to save your stack...
if im gonna fold i just fold :)

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Bubble stall, only if I've had a bad beat and have the chips to slip into the money. Yes, I know it's rude and disrespectful. I also know that many have and will do it.

I will stall even if i'm well chipped, and i see someone who got blindsided by a BS hand and it is very close to the bubble. Karma will pay me back one day when i need it.

I mean seriously, if it is a short table, why would you want to speed up the run-in with the blinds faster. If it is about surviving till the money, stall death till the last moment if you possibly can.

telford777

telford777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Multiple tournies at a time,,,,and have other things going on,,,me,i have a wife,2 kids and a home business to run,all at the same time.I like to listen to music,watch tv,smoke,drink,make sports bets,,,,:),,,,you never know whats happening behind that screen.

I dig that! There are also other variables to take into consideration:

Unstable internet connection...... Especially if on the train etc.

Also, some countries are quite poor and stalling to qualify for any payout or progress to a game that offers hope of a decent payout.

I have to say,I have been guilty of stalling just so that I could get the thrill of competing in the next stage. The closer people are to the cut, the more they tend to stall. The downside to this is that the blinds wait for nobody and will rise regardless of position.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I don't see anything wrong or rude about it, we all have the same amount of time to act, what I do with my time is my business and if anyone doesn't like it they can complain to the TD if they like.

Lol at it being rude and disrespectful. :rofl:

:bandit:

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The less skilled you are the fewer hands you want to see, of course on the other hand the biggest advantage of internet poker is the opportunity to gain experience by seeing many more hands in a shorter time span. My guess most slow players are agonizing over this. Also could be multi tabling & facing major decisions at another table, or helpin T with his kids, just bein disrespectful & rude like Nick, trying to remember if 3 of a kind beats a straight, if a flush just has to be the same color or the same suit, if it's spelt lose or loose, etc., etc., etc. Best to use the time to study the board, your notes on other players, check your hole cards to make sure you have what you think you have, or other poker related stuff till it's your turn to act. After all since all the poker sites are rigged anyway, what difference does it make? :confused:

Last edited:
greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, the explanation is simple is a strategy some use when the bubble is close, others from the beginning of the tournament waiting for good hands and using all the time available to play because this way they expect players to be eliminated players and they wait a good hand to increase the stack, this once all get ITM is over, but there are players who do more absurd things when only one player needs to be eliminated to be in the ITM and you must wait until all the tables are over these players do the same and for this I do not find a logical explanation

Greetings

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Why delay pre flop when your intention is to FOLD? Especially in tournament poker. What does it matter?

Someone once explained it to me as a timing tell thing, but my son recently asked me this and I couldnt provide him with an explanation that made any sense to me, so I put it on you.
I played a tourney once where the player took one minute everytime to call or fold. I wanted to choke them after an hour of this. "Take your timing tell strategy and shove it you asshole" is how I feel about those players. :D Also taking your time trying to level up is a strategy a lot of players use and I have no problem with that at all. :)

Last edited:
Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it not just part of the game? If you want to take your time and mess about go on, I guess it's winding you up plenty by the sound of the post?

On the bubble why would you not slow play and sneak into the money, I mean that's why you play to at least CASH in the said game?

I prefer myself to play fast most hands, unless somebody has raised AI bubble time and I have an outside chance to call if ITM and see where we go.

Part of the game my friend

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everyone has his own beetles in his head.
I think looking for an answer to this question does not make sense.
Hardly this information will be useful.
Dont bother your head.
Tell your son that such people dont have stratigy, they dont know what to do and drag on time.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing in a bubble, and you have a small stack you are trying to extend the time that would get in the money. Sometimes even someone with a big stack trying to help get into the money to someone else. If the rating tournament can try to extend the time that would take a better place.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder?, are the individuals who post that players should play faster, the same ones who post that they were beat by a garbage hand?
If a player takes the time time to think though a hand, how is that perceived as a lack of skill?
When a player plays in a slow manner, it is possible that player is just taking their time and is in no rush. using the slowed down pace as a tactic, tilting the impatient, then stacking them in their rush to play.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Multiple reasons:
  • Bubble stall
  • Multi tabling
  • Lost connection
  • Life
Sometimes, i need extra time to think about my action. It might be a pretty close decision between jamming and folding, depending on a number of factors.

A

ATruRube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The time spent on each hand-when it's your play- is your time. How you use those seconds is your decision. In a bigger tournament, the players will call time if you taking too long, otherwise they can just shut-up and deal.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see anything wrong or rude about it, we all have the same amount of time to act, what I do with my time is my business and if anyone doesn't like it they can complain to the TD if they like.

Lol at it being rude and disrespectful. :rofl:

:bandit:

Agreed! I usually just say F 'em. But that's why no one likes me...... and that stinks.. Cause it's hard counting their chips with all the tears in my eyes :)

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not so sure there's a timing tell to consider. I usually fold quickly when I'm not multi tabling but when I call or raise I take some time. If I vary the time I take to make a play then I might fall into a pattern that someone picks up. So, I try to delay about the same amount of time when I get into the pot. I don't think quick fold will have any meaning when I play this way.

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in a situation of bubble or almost mtt, and even yieldable this delay, but if the tournament is still going to take no sense, maybe the opponents are with more screens open or bad internet, I find unnecessary this delay without reason.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

~nodsnods~:icon_flow

Folding in Poker