When do you prefer to join a Tournament?

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your thoughts on the best time to join a tourney. I find if I join a little after mid way through late registration I do better. when i join early i get to see more flops due to low blinds but I also have more room for bad beats that wipe me. Im curious to know how you feel.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to be in the game at the beginning.
I will join a game late but from the first hand to the last is my personal preference.
I like to be there with the blinds small and the worst players making mistakes that can be
taken advantage of. Not that I'm that good but it's just my preference.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to start playing at the beginning of the tournament. If you come in later, the blinds are big and the risk of leaving the small stack is greater.

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to register late because people seems to know what they are doing,in the beginning I see a lot of crazy cold call , 4 bet,squuez and the worst thing they hit it and is hard to put them on a range,they donk bet every street and they show like set or better and you wonder how the hell you play a set like that or how u cold call 3 5 dude and of course they hit a straight with 3 5.

Last edited:
GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to start playing at the beginning of the tournament. When I register at a later stage of the tournament, I get nervous and make mistakes.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to be their from the beginning or at least get in, while stacks are still deep, and average stacks still not much larger than the starting stack. In theory there are some advantage in staying out, until some players have busted, because this increase the ICM-value of your chips.

But for me personally I feel, I have a skill edge on the field, so why not give myself as much time as possible to use that skill edge. And I especially have a skill edge in the early stages, where stacks are deep, because I am used to playing cash games, and the "fish" also tend to be the ones to bust first. So if you come in late, to some extend there are often mostly good players left.

Finally ICM also does not take into account the advantages, which there are to play with a big stack. You can take more risks, relax more, and push other players around a bit. The big rewards are always at the final table, and the players with the best chance of making it there are those, who already have a big stack, when late registration close.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I always try to register in the tournament before the start. In my opinion, in this case, I have more chances for a good result.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the beginning so that we don’t miss any speculative spots early with the potential to build a huge stack! :)

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't played so much in cash tournaments yet, but I think it's better for me to enter the tournament at the beginning. The later you go, the greater the risk that your stack will not withstand the pressure of the blyds.

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From the beginning to get some information about my opponents when the blinds are still small.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is best to start the tournament from the beginning. Blinds are small, stacks are large, errors are inexpensive, if you lose 20-30bb is not so scary, the stack is still quite game and you can make up for the loss.

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer joining in the mid late reg~

J

japg11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More chips, more opportunities for weak players to make mistakes. Focus on improving your postflop game and your mental game and crush them all!

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start the game at the very beginning, because if you start in the middle or before closing, your stack is too small and the tournament turns into luck. Game at an early stage, it is an opportunity to show your skill.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know I should play from the beginning but sometimes time is a factor and I end up jumping in late. If I jump in late I usually have a all in or fold mentality. With a short stack I'm in a hurry to make something happen and know I have to double or triple up to be competitive. I have to say that aggressive mind set works sometimes (with a little luck). The problem with sitting there for 3 hours and building your stack slowly is that when you have painstakingly doubled or tripled your stack over hours you don't want to get into coin flips for half of it with people doing late entry and shoving, so then I probably tend to make too many folds. But that's probably something I need to work on in my own head, I probably just need to accept the risk and shift gears.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to be there from the start so I can try to build a decent stack early - rather than jump in late with an immediate disadvantage over everyone who has done that.

Krypton173

Krypton173

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your thoughts on the best time to join a tourney. I find if I join a little after mid way through late registration I do better. when i join early i get to see more flops due to low blinds but I also have more room for bad beats that wipe me. Im curious to know how you feel.

It mostly depends on what type is the MTT, you need to take into account all factors, if its a hyper/turbo you should reg from the start, if its deep i prefer somewhere in the middle of the late reg and if it's a rebuy i mostly late reg in the last minute, for KO;s it's a good idea to be from the beginning, and so on. ;)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just before I'm due to get dealt aces! :)

It depends on the tourney but ideally from first hand but sometimes late reg close to the money and sidestep a whole lotta play then try to spin up a min cash into deep run.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When it starts, Unless I miss the registration, if so then I register longest its not like on the last level.

C

chippyrob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally i join after tourney has been running an hour,.... usually all the donks are out by then and everyone has a big enough stack for me to take a few under the radar... its a risky way to play because obviously the blinds are quite high at this point but its a risk im willing to take... id rather be taken out at that point than early on against an idiot who is making it his lifes ambition to go all in every hand :) hope this helps

robert

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find that to middle in late reg is the most preferred. I find sometimes in the beginning I lose all my chips before late reg ends. As well, I find that I might not get a playable hand thus losing chips to blinds and antes.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
from start is better but that will be long and boring , more than often I win some cash when I join late , like in the last minutes of registration

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the buy in amount...how late you may enter and the caliber of player will all be part of your thought process...but typically you want to get there on time to maximize time to chip up

B

bagoly696

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
f I sign up at the start of the tournament, you can get an early chip stack. But when the blinds are low everyone plays more hands when we can easily get involved in a troubled hand. When the blinds are higher everyone is waiting for a good hand and tighter the game which is better..