QQ 6-bet jam early stage of tourney 250BB deep

P

PatrickBateman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I really would love your opinion on this whether my move was bad beat or bad decision,

Early in a 2.6k$ buying 1M$GTD tournament (250 big blinds deep)
I Opened 2.2BB with QQ from UTG folded around to the button,
Got 3-bet 10BB from the button
I made it 30BB
he made it 80BB
I jammed
He snapp called with AK
then he flopped the K and got me busted

did I make a huge mistake considering 250BB? should I have folded to 5-bet? is my move profitable in long run?

Thanks a lot in advance

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would not say this was a bad beat but a hopeful decision. While we all have seen some cray plays by people early in a tournament, my question would be how often do you see someone 5 bet you? Its not that often. My next thought would be what hands would they do this with. Ace and kings for sure but would they with jacks? Not sure the would but they would with AK. Since you have queens I doubt they would . So most likely we are flipping with a small edge or we are dominated. Being as deep as we are I would have folded to his 5 bet. We don't have the correct odds to call here and I we shove it not necessarily good. We could have called his 5 bet and re-evaluated on the flop as well. Considering the King came on the flop and the hands he could have had we would have folded and still had plenty of chips.

J

julianjjboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ is so marginal at deep stack, maybe see flop is better,but your decide is correct ,QQ is better than AK

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ladies should always fold if AK is on the flop!

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not that your play was wrong in the long run, you could very well have won the hand. In fact you had a slight advantage, something like 54% chance of winning. The thing is, you probably don't want to risk such a huge stack in a tournament because you can't get back in and make up for your loss. Survival is very important in a tournament. In a tournament with the structure you mentioned, I would expect the other player to have AA when jamming all in like that. Having said that, I also think the villain made a bad decision.

W

Wiliest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At really deep stacks its only correct to jam KK+, and at really really deep stacks only AA. He made a bad call with AK, but you made a bad decision to go all-in with QQ that deep.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it were me I would have just called the re-raise and waited for a flop. Without the knowledge of the player having A K, if an A or K had not come out on the flop I would have bet 1/2 pot. If and A or K had come on the flop than I would have checked out of position and placed a value bet of 30% of the pot, which of course we know would probably get re-raised in which we could go ahead and fold the Q's without actually knowing what are opponent actually had.

Last edited:
proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, probably not a great play QQ is pretty vulnerable, you have to see the flop.
If you clear the board you are still not home free, he could have KK or AA and you are still in trouble, or he could hit trips under you. I know for myself, Im only willing to play so big a pot with only a pair, which is all QQ is. If he seems willing to make the pot too big for your taste, then you are going to be beat most of the time. Also, when you have no read on someone, its time to play more humble, accept that he has position, be willing to fold if the pot becomes too big.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not jam all in with QQ in that situation
Theres way to much play left in that stack to flip it in one hand :D

Flipping is a personal choice, its not bad at all to take a flip with QQ, but
in a 6 bet pot, his range could be very strong :cool: