My problem in tournaments!

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think i know where my problem lies in tourneys!
I have been a cash game grinder full ring mainly and some 6 max and i generally its deep stacked poker and different theory which is totally different from tournaments!
Now unless if i run very hot if i do i usually take down the tourney!
But if i dont i am not able to play short stacked!
I make 20 or 25 BB shoves without only opening or 3-betting.
And i in last tourney jammed j3o from sb(21BB) and bb had 10bb thinking that he would fold lot of his range and ended up calling with Q9o!
If i have around 14 BB and table average is around that i feel restless and short stacked(which i am not)!
Which i think is due to cash game!
And in the tourneys i play players limp a lot in early stages trying to hit something.
I dont limp and if i raise with eg:AK i get 4 to 5 callers in early stages!
So confused, would really like a help!

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congratulations on your first post on the forum!

To play in tournaments, you must study ICM - the value model of chips. This strategy will teach you to play with a short and very short stack.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congratulations on your first post on the forum!

To play in tournaments, you must study ICM - the value model of chips. This strategy will teach you to play with a short and very short stack.
not my first post bro

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages or when you’re deep stacked you should be fighting to play speculative hands. Once you get below 50BB you should be playing broadway cards and fighting for position. Limping always happens in lower stakes. You can over limp or raise a large amount but of they’re short stacked expect a call

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I m playing only freeroll yet. But in early stages... hardly you will see a all in without 3 or 4 players call!!! I just enter a game when my hand is strong!!!!

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages or when you’re deep stacked you should be fighting to play speculative hands. Once you get below 50BB you should be playing broadway cards and fighting for position. Limping always happens in lower stakes. You can over limp or raise a large amount but of they’re short stacked expect a call
define speculative hands?

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited connectors, suited gappers or even suited two gappers in a smaller pot. You also should be VERY aware of your SPR as well as your opponents. Anything over a SPR of 6 will allow you to continue with these hands after the flop if your equity is right.

K

KlicKlicBoom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I m playing only freeroll yet. But in early stages... hardly you will see a all in without 3 or 4 players call!!! I just enter a game when my hand is strong!!!!
thats why you see lots of late registration in the freerolls . getting in late lets some of the crazys get out of the way.

K

KlicKlicBoom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thats why you see lots of late registration in the freerolls . getting in late lets some of the crazys get out of the way.
however, if you stick to your good play strategy you can use the early craziness to build a nice stack. can not help getting busted on river by trash hands , but it can also pay off big.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes... but manytimes you are defeated by poor hands like 2 and 4 by example

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

There are many crazys that made late registration too... unhappy

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problems in tournaments, everyone always think some players do not understand why going to ollin with a weak hand. In the future is the result of the move strong hand of the opponent

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short stack play is not so bad... You just fold until you got a hand or position you can go all in with. Short stack play is a big part of MTT. A lot of times i find myself with about 10-15 bbs and a small pair, These are the tough spots for me.. Best case is 50% against a raise, and jamming often falls behind when in early position with no info about the other players hand. You can't avoid the early stage of mtt when everyone limps all the suited hands to try and get flushes, Maybe you can raise more pre flop? not sure what your raise size is but a min raise will get no folds, try 4x or 5x if you want them to fold pre.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try play speculative hands when pot is small and raise pot with premium hands.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yesterday I played a Freeroll.At the same table with a player who did not give to play and constantly put all the Bank.Then I got angry, and I bet on everything, too.In the end, I lost and he got lucky again. Crazy lucky!!!

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are several reasons why villains are getting worse. LOL
If you win me with J3O and I have Q9o I assure you that I will hate you.
You have to not give up so you have left 1/2 BB, play with the position of your opponent and know that in a tournament has (to my understanding) 3 stages, the start that is brutal for many, the middle stage is slow and good and at the end where you have to have patience

J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest studying some push/fold charts to help you with short stack play in tournaments. There is also an App called snapshove that you can get for fairly cheap to help you learn good shoving ranges. J3o probably shouldn't be in your shoving range even from the small blind until you have less than 10bb. Unless of course you know for a fact that the player in the BB is super tight, then you might be able to open it up.

K

KuprinMA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash and tournaments are too different disciplines. In tournaments due to age and dynamics. These are the problems of most players who go into tournament poker. Work on the game in short stacks.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the cash game is more technical. This should normally benefit you compared to other players who are only playing MTT. The variance share is greater on a tournament. If you lose in the short run. It does not mean that you have trouble playing. If you do not have good results in the long run, you must continue to improve your game by watching more strategic MTT videos to inspire you in your game.

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many believe that going all-inn with two AAs they always win 100%, but this is not so! There is no 100% of ours to win until you see the flop! the more practice and analysis of your own lost hands, the more you gain your own experience! and also you should always watch the game of your rivals!

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, what a strange strategy, here and add anything .. with such a strategy is it possible to either win .. I think not ..

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think i know where my problem lies in tourneys!
I have been a cash game grinder full ring mainly and some 6 max and i generally its deep stacked poker and different theory which is totally different from tournaments!
Now unless if i run very hot if i do i usually take down the tourney!
But if i dont i am not able to play short stacked!
I make 20 or 25 BB shoves without only opening or 3-betting.
And i in last tourney jammed j3o from sb(21BB) and bb had 10bb thinking that he would fold lot of his range and ended up calling with Q9o!
If i have around 14 BB and table average is around that i feel restless and short stacked(which i am not)!
Which i think is due to cash game!
And in the tourneys i play players limp a lot in early stages trying to hit something.
I dont limp and if i raise with eg:AK i get 4 to 5 callers in early stages!
So confused, would really like a help!

Ok so some simple advice and directions:

1. Don't limp. It's the worst play you can make in tournament poker. Especially if you are among first players who limped. The only situation where limping is ok - if you are SB and want to tag along with 5 limpers for example (but it is still a waste of chips).
In Tournament poker it is essential to preserve chips!
If you find yourself in later positions with a hand that you REALLY want to play, like you can't live with yourself if you don't play it then either bet big, to try and take the pot pre-flop or find it in you to fold!!! Reasoning with betting big pre is that you are stating you have strong holdings, and on so many flops you can c-bet representing good, strong hands that opponents should fold to.

2. Depending on the type of tournament (hyper/turbo/regular/slow) it can be a good or a bad idea to shove 20-25BBs. I would be more inclined to shove such a stack in hyper/turbo MTTs because the increase of blinds happens often and will eat your stack in no time.

3. In other situations, try using push/fold charts for MTTs when you have a short stack (which is usually <20BBs but some charts go from <15BBs)

4. Don't play speculative hands - if you are BU and see 9Ts you feel pretty good as it is a fine hand that can connect with the flop quite nicely. However, if you see a bet pre from UTG you can say that UTG's range is quite narrow and has 9T crushed. Even if you would hit TP you can't feel comfortable calling down to the river or calling some shoves prior to the river (because overpairs are a huge part of UTG's range when he bets pre-flop). Therefore just fold it pre-flop. That being said if everyone folds to you, betting pre-flop with 9Ts is quite fine, as long as you don't over-play it post flop, like barreling all streets when you missed everything.

E

elias444

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On early stage tourneys, you should wait for premium hands and position spots to take down the pots. But make sure that when you raise; you have to raise 4X the big and one plus for every player that limps. This way players don't have the proper pot-odds to call, otherwise just fall and wait for better opportunities; So Raise Big Or Fall.. Good Luck..!
:cool::D

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
I respect everyones opinion.
All have ideas to play.

But I also believe in poker gods
You lose a AA hand to a KK hand, not becoz you played wrong, did you???

Its a game that no one can predict.
How you stratagize is upto you, what the outcome will be no one knows.

Thanks

M

mavradal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You most likely just need more experience, after playing dozens of tournaments you should be able to adjust your playing style to advance in the later phases and maybe win.

Keep going and don't give up!