Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
is so experienced poker players here… please comments

i been study poker hard now 13 months
i learned … from the best in the world (have all their books, courses, videos, blogs)…

hardly ever you LIMP, yikes that sacrilege…

first in … you generally RAISE or FOLD only preflop
“Krista”, my coach implies to me, “ever you limp first in… a poker god will send immediate lightening bolt”
ZAP… is a fried, crispy krista - yikes

recently in Doug Polk and SKYs classes i see… preflop Limps!!!
in certain circumstances

please please serious comments on this strategy, i puzzled girl

hugs
Krista
(I LUV CardsChat - i no a suck up say that!)

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every strategy depends on the timing of the game, size of stacks, position on the table, the cards of your hand, against which player you are going to face, the player is more passive or is aggressive. There will be times when it will be very profitable for you to get limp with AA, but at certain times it will be profitable for you to be aggressive with 45s, although some players criticize limp, it can be used in certain situations.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the specific situation. Usually limp is used in late positions in a multi-pots if you have connectors. (78, 89, JQ, etc.) Since these are good hands for multi-pot. However, if you play at a very tight table, then I think it is permissible to limp monster hands, because if you make a raise, your opponents will simply fold. Also, if you play at the stage when the blinds are very high, you can limp some of your hands, if it is a bubble, and you are on the borders of the prize zone.

I also think that you can limp hands of medium strength - if you play at very aggressive tables, as most likely if you raise, you will get a reraise and then you will have to make a decision not on the pot odds. But if you limp, you can play by call or folding.

Generally speaking, limping is a bad action, you need to play with a raise or fold, but when you become more advanced postflop, you can forget about it and play meta poker.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a difference between open limping and limping behind. Limping behind can be a good strategy, especially against multible limpers and especially against limpers, who are really bad and simply wont fold. The idea of raising is to isolate and get fold equity, and if raising does none of that, it makes little sense to raise anything but strong value hands. All, it does, is bloat the pot, and when you miss, the bad players will still not fold.

As for open limping it has most merit from the SB seat and especially in ante games. I am not sure, there are any other situations, where it is theoretically correct to open limp, but possibly certain tournament situations with shallow stacks and ICM considerations can warrant it. I do think, it is mainly in tournaments, that good players have gone back to having limping strategies in certain situations.

As a micro stakes player it is not something, I am overly concerned about working into my game. I will sometimes limp the SB in tournaments, especially against passive opponents, but I think, there are many other areas of my game, which is it more important to work on than limping strategies.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's always a good thing to confuse your opponent,,, (Do it very rarely) :top: Mix it up!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If anyone says you should always or never do something they are probably wrong. In poker is always depends on the situation. As for open limping, if you are 1st to act in the pot you should most often raise or fold. If you do limp its OK but you should have a good reason to do it and when you do it should a a rare thing.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I make limp when I have 10 big blinds with aa because I want to bend by force, limp in button when you have a deep stack and big or small blind are very aggressive and want to see the flop.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes limping is a smart move but You have to fell the right moment for it

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one of the most challenging Things in poker is, that every Situation could be played in a different way and there a not many Things that 'you are not allowed to do' regarding your playstyle.
sometimes limping is fine, sometimes it's terrible.
if someone tells you that you should never limp, he is wrong!
sure, it's better to raise or fold, but also limping first in could be a good Play for example with a Monster like AA/KK. from time to time i limp AA UTG and hope that someone is raising. then i just shove 50bb+ and get called way too often from Hands like AQ/AK, 99-JJ,....

also limping QQ+ in the SB vs an aggressive BB when everyone else folded could pay off
try it ;)

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one of the most challenging Things in poker is, that every Situation could be played in a different way and there a not many Things that 'you are not allowed to do' regarding your playstyle.
sometimes limping is fine, sometimes it's terrible.
if someone tells you that you should never limp, he is wrong!
sure, it's better to raise or fold, but also limping first in could be a good Play for example with a Monster like AA/KK. from time to time i limp AA UTG and hope that someone is raising. then i just shove 50bb+ and get called way too often from Hands like AQ/AK, 99-JJ,....

also limping QQ+ in the SB vs an aggressive BB when everyone else folded could pay off
try it ;)
hey Veritas ! :))) my sugestion.. never limp :cool:

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LIMP или NO LIMP.Almost a Shakespearean question. :D

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, not limp.Is better raise pre-flop , because you give a chance of your opponent make a fold .

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally will not limp if I have a Good starting hand or a hand I feel I will have Value with in later streets. If I'm first to act and limp I am inviting everybody at the table to limp in and Dominate whatever hand I think is good. Now, If im BB and I have some garbage all hand that I can limp in with then yes , I will limp to see the flop. If the Flop gives no Super Immediate Value I will dump that hand seeing as I never wanted to be in that hand to begin with,

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I am using limp preflop and has generally done very well more than anything to defend the blinds greetings ...

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. I'm a beginner and I think limping is good early in a tourny because if you raise a good hand preflop you only get a tiny stack increase if everyone folds. You want to go for those big pots early in the tourney. Let them stay in early in the tourny. That's my opinion. I am open to others disagreeing. I hope we can differentiate more when we are talking about cash, sng, mtt. Also early and late sng, mtt. Thx everyone for helping me learn.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi

i learned … from the best in the world (have all their books, courses, videos, blogs)…

“Krista”, my coach implies to me, “ever you limp first in… a poker god will send immediate lightening bolt”

in certain circumstances

hugs
Krista

First of all, my opinion on this is the same as your coach's, if you limp first, you deserve to get zapped! :)

I generally dislike limping altogether, because you can only win such hands if you outflop all the other limpers! Just think of it, you limp with 55s, if you don't hit a set, you lose your hand, if you do, you really want one of the other limpers to have hit the board well enough to pay your bets/raises and how often is that gonna happen?

That being said, you are losing small ( 1BB per limp) but also not winning much cause it's rarely gonna happen that both you and one more opponent flopped the monster, and even so, you are likely to be at the worse end of things sometimes.

Now this could be said in general about poker, and this is where skill kicks in: being able to outplay opponents and make them pay with worse holdings, make them fold better holdings etc.

When you limp, and see a flop against several limpers, everyone's skill goes down the toilet. It's all about outflopping the rest of them, and hoping someone is strong enough to call...

Nowadays, considering how often players are limp-calling pre-flop online, many advise to actually limp some hands along, mostly some suited or offsuit connectors, sometimes lower pocket pairs for set mining, but even then, profitability of limping pre-flop is questionable and even if it is +EV it has to be so marginal that people should not even consider it as a strategy!

Sry for the long post, but it is a good question, and considering there are waaaay too many limpers on CC I think people should read this thread thoroughly :)

Last edited:
Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping into a multi way pot with a speculative hand like a small pair or suited connectors or one or 2 gappers especially in mid-late position is fine. If you don't hit your set or straight or flush draw, you can fold and only lose a few chips. I think it's also ok in early position to do it with a big hand like AA very occasionally, when you are at a very aggressive table and you know someone is going to raise you and you can come over the top or possibly slow play with a disguised hand.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online - I rarely open limp except in CC games - but will call a limp
Live - Pretty much the same except I wouldn't open limp from early position ever - unless others are getting away with it regularly on a specific table

I have heard never open limp loads of times - but can't tell you how often I have seen pros and experienced players do it live.

CallMeAnSee

CallMeAnSee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find among other factors if your going to limp that's fine but don't always limp with the same range! for example if you limp all your weakish hands an only raise premium hands then before long the other players will work you out an start stealing all your blinds an folding quickly to your raises. mix it up an keep them guessing!

but the other factors such as if your sat near a maniac to your left limp those aces all day long!!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi good day.
I use limp preflop in utg when I want to induce aggressive rivals action. I also use it to show strength on a hard table, since nobody will dare to climb me if I managed to make myself a solid image, unless I really face a monstrous hand, in which case I will have to make a complex decision. That to solve it better, I will have to analyze the information that I have of my rival or active rivals of the hand.
I prefer preflop limp strategy in tournaments that cash games, because I can keep better controlled my stack of continuous variations, typical of this mode.
However, I find it interesting to apply it in cash games, although with certain adaptations, for example applying it in both early and late positions, but much less frequently than in tournaments. The objective would be very similar, show strength in hard table or induce lanterns of aggressive players.
Greetings.

C

ChicoRSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi hi

in certain circumstances

hugs
Krista

I`m sorry, but I really didn`t understand what ur coach said... U need to proceed based in ur table.... position, player, stacks....

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I limp when I don't want to win the pot pre-flop or when I want to play AA 5 handed.
I smell sarcasm and in this case the person that smelt it dealt it :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
This is not a suggestion , it's just what I , an amateur player , do :)
KK utg limp has paid me many times I have to say , if raised by late position then I am ready for 3bet , if not on the flop with many limpers might/will have problems , but many times thankfully I have hit a set with KK lol . AA I like raising , limping less often , I have been punished many times for limping AA utg or early position cause I feel very commited with this hand lol . If it's not freerolls , I will never open limp any other hands except KK , maybe AA , if there are enough limpers I will limp late position suited cards , some other hands , my pp and hope for a set , or else I fold . On freerolls I limp way a lot more , cause there are too many other limpers , we just play bingo most of the times lol .
Early position limp in CC freerolls punishes me personally most of the time with big raises from late and in position players , or the blinds bluff me lol.....

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I have found that at the microstakes it does not make much sense to limp, because you really want to make bad players pay for being bad. But as you get higher I think limping can be very strategic in balancing your range.