If it wasn't for bad luck i'd have no luck at all...

B

barefootbear

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems every time I'm doing decent in a tournament I loose to ridiculous calls but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

For example the other day I have pocket JJ I end up shoving all in after the flop of QJK.

I immediately get snap called and I knew my opponent had AJ for some reason I could just feel it so he snap calls with the AJ and of course a 10 comes on the flop I know I just gotta keep rolling with the punches it happens to everyone.

it just seems everytime I end up all in I loose to someone catching 4 cards to a str8 or a flush etc.

I am currently just playing the freerolls on ACR I would like to deposit in the near future and start taking the game more serious I've placed in a lot of freerolls I've gone from 55 cents to 20 dollars playing micro stakes and than loose it all in a day lol.

the last freeroll I just got out of I had pocket KK I raised maybe 4 or 5x the BB I get re raised and I just smooth called figuring perhaps they have AK or something close to it flop comes all low cards so instead of checking I shoved all in just to see the other person had pocket AA it seems when I'm focused most the hands I loose are people catching a 5% chance and stuff..

How do you over come these things? it can be frustrating and I know it happens to the best players too its part of the game..

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls people play and call you down with anything. You have to get used to it if you are gonna keep playing them (even on micro tournaments they will still call you with crazy things). they are huge in the number of people also, so much more variance in them, you can't expect to win like 18-20 all in every tournament you play.. sometime you will lost the 1st one, sometime the 15th one and you will be eliminated and that will be awful. So just gonna keep playing and your time will come if you improve :D
Good luck.

nopainnogain

nopainnogain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerools are tough tourneys to play because the players don't care about theyr cards.If a player has 33 and you have QQ be prepared to call him and don't be nervous if you lose.

SteaknEggz

SteaknEggz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a cooler man. smokem if ya gottem

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does happen to everyone but you need to learn to limit losses. There is no way you should go to 20.00 and lose it in a day. Break up your money into sessions and when you lose that amount you need to quit and try again later.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems every time I'm doing decent in a tournament I loose to ridiculous calls but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

For example the other day I have pocket JJ I end up shoving all in after the flop of QJK.

I immediately get snap called and I knew my opponent had AJ for some reason I could just feel it so he snap calls with the AJ and of course a 10 comes on the flop I know I just gotta keep rolling with the punches it happens to everyone.

it just seems everytime I end up all in I loose to someone catching 4 cards to a str8 or a flush etc.

I am currently just playing the freerolls on ACR I would like to deposit in the near future and start taking the game more serious I've placed in a lot of freerolls I've gone from 55 cents to 20 dollars playing micro stakes and than loose it all in a day lol.

the last freeroll I just got out of I had pocket KK I raised maybe 4 or 5x the BB I get re raised and I just smooth called figuring perhaps they have AK or something close to it flop comes all low cards so instead of checking I shoved all in just to see the other person had pocket AA it seems when I'm focused most the hands I loose are people catching a 5% chance and stuff..

How do you over come these things? it can be frustrating and I know it happens to the best players too its part of the game..

You know you are very far ahead on this flop, yet you shove flop with a set... on a coordinated board. You know if a Ten drops you are rekt. Why dump your whole stack on the flop... it just makes no sense to me. Most of the time you will be losing value by not getting called by the weak hands when you are ahead.. and only called by the strongest hands like AT/KK/QQ that beat you.

It sucks to lose when we have a nice hand.. especailly KK vs AA the cooler. Let it pass and maybe next time it will be you holding the AA vs KK.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance is very large in this game.

Thats why it stays good.

Just have to get used to it and constantly improve!

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does happen to everyone but you need to learn to limit losses. There is no way you should go to 20.00 and lose it in a day. Break up your money into sessions and when you lose that amount you need to quit and try again later.

+1
bankroll management is the next thing you should work on!

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you are doing well enough. Your placing in the tourneys, making some money, just keep playing the freerolls. DO NOT lose your entire bankroll in one day. this is the mistake. The pocket KK vs AA you may not have been able to get away from that, but you need to give yourself a chance to do so. There the other option is to check call the flop. If you put him on AK, you only have to dodge an A.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is just as it is part of the game and yes, it is very frustrating, it is difficult to overcome it because many times it is so constant that we can think that everything is against us and sometimes we want to stop playing, but we must keep trying, changing the way play to see if it works, also many times it is necessary to take a break, even one day, many times it helps

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just busted in a tournament holding QQ vs A 10 in a freeroll. Seems like people with higher stacks than yours always matches up their garbage. Funny part about it is I went all in with my queens and villain with larger stack reraises the rest of the table with his junk. People are out to make you miserable if they can. You've gotta figure out how to ignore them and just play your best game. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Sometimes it's bad luck, another time how our opponents play, but sometimes you have to see when these plays happen in our favor is good luck? this kind of moves will always happen, you just have to know how to face it, everyone does not have the same methods, some stop playing for a few days, others continue to play, check their failures etc.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you 3-bet preflop and someone comes in for a 4-bet or more you have to consider whether they could have a better hand than you. In freerolls people will do that with almost any kind of pairs as well, most of the time they'll jam out right. If they re-raise just think they can have the better hand and if your hand/position is worth calling.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it weren't for rigged poker sites, there'd be no poker sites at all. Hands are programmed to take out low stacks on allins. Don't believe me ? Just watch for yourself the cards that come for the big stacks regardless of odds. It's sick.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tips experienced ...

I suggest that more experienced players give their advice to beginners taking their first steps in poker. Please answer the question: what needs to be done first of all to learn how to play poker well?

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are too focused on your hand, not paying attention to the board and the possible range of your opponent. Protecting your hands with an all-in is not the best tactic to advance in a tournament. On the other hand, if your bets are justified, then your opponent makes a mistake by not playing according to the pot odds.

sidenotch

sidenotch

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FINALLY...someone who agrees with me and is realistic

If it weren't for rigged poker sites, there'd be no poker sites at all. Hands are programmed to take out low stacks on allins. Don't believe me ? Just watch for yourself the cards that come for the big stacks regardless of odds. It's sick.
WOW!!>>>SHOCKER...very RARE to find someone in here who agrees with me about the "frequency" problem they have at "most" online sites.
Whether you are at free rolls, high stakes games, or even final tables, there always seems to be people playing goofy cards to flops...especially when it's against ME, and when I have "decent cards" to FINALLY play...after waiting and waiting for good position and decent cards(like a good poker player is supposed to do), I end up getting beat by someone totally "chasing" out a hand with hardly any outs and weak cards.
And along the way I play decent connectors(trying something different) in certain positions. Do I get a match at flops?>>RARELY!! and 80% NO match to any ace I play at ACR! YET, if I play against an ace with K's, Q's or J's, there will be someone who plays ace RAG and gets the ace on flop...about 80% of the time I play in that situation.
So, YES INDEED, I agree with you concerning the way the cards are "dealt" out and the "sequencing, etc" of the remaining cards. Ever notice the OBVIOUS LAG before the river deal out at ACR? Makes it a little TOO obvious...yet I rarely have anyone who agrees with me, or rarely anyone who even "chats" with me.
Refreshing to know there are some people still out there who aren't delusional about "online" poker and the "RCG". Gotta keep on fightin' the good fight though. I've been tryin the total "willy nilly" play ANY TWO cards lately and seem to have better luck doing that approach...esp "head to head". Happy Holidays and may the flops be with you in 2019 :)

Last edited:
J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People play very loose in the freerolls. I think that their goal is be all in pre-flop as often as possible. Also, bad luck is definitely part of the game but so is good luck!

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a big part of it...I mean you will turn things around and have the same moments yourself. just keep playing your game, it comes and goes.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hahaha, do not get frustrated by those hands, on the contrary, you should get used to seeing them often as it is quite common in the online game. I remember perfectly how I had achieved a Full with QQ in hand, only for the opponent to get his full on the river with repeated cards and the third Q.

Anyway, stay calm and you will see that no color or miraculous ladder will leave you out of the game.

G

goodsaint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big stacks can afford to widen their range of hands played, especially vs low stacks. So sometimes you'll see sick beats. If ''rigged poker'' means seeing some expected and unexpected hands in the same pot taking expected and unexpected actions, then I guess you're right. Even if this is the essence of poker.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was good to read the comments on this thread. I'm too anxious to go all in when I feel I have the best hand. Suckouts, and opponent's bad play take me out far too often.

G

GoSplat678

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

what stage of the tournament was this? I think the problem is you played too weak to start with. This happens to me a lot of I don't use a push fold strategy at the end stages

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You have no info so we don't where you play. I have a rule on ACR that if I flop two pair I look to fold. Almost every time i flop them I lose. ACR is the cruelest of all the sites. I would even say it's rigged but you get too much negative feed back. Funny I do well on a Inter tops but it o doesn't have as many free rolls. Once you learn the ins and outs you'll do fine.